What's new

THX and Advanced Surround modes on 1014 (1 Viewer)

KerryKimball

Auditioning
Can anyone explain what exactly the receiver is doing in the advanced surround modes (for example Game)? Is it dolby or dts matrixed further or what exactly?

and according to the manual there are 3 THX "modes". When I watch the Star Wars trilogy (with a 7.1 setup) it displays THX Surround EX but does not change the OSD if I press the THX button again for (according to the manual) THX Cinema or DDProLogic IIx. Opinions?

Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
THX is post processing.. meaning it is applied over the actual surround decoding.

When press the button, it is taking you through the available decoders that you can use for the given source.

EX is what you want if the source is DD 5.1 most always.

THX post processing, has quite a few little things it actually does, including a bit of compression. helps with harsh sounding dialog often for me. Also can make it not so bad when a show like CSI in DD 5.1 goes to a commercial.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah if you're playing a DD EX source (I'm pretty sure the trilogy is EX, no?), the only available mode is THX EX. Try a non-EX disc and you might get more options. I forget because I almost never use the THX mode(s) anywa--they really sound compressed to me (in dynamics).

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
>>if you're playing a DD EX source (I'm pretty sure the trilogy is EX, no?), the only available mode is THX EX.

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Does THX Cinema just decode the 5.1 DD or DTS and do some THX processing on it?

I had a question on THX modes when listening to stereo or prologic movies. I bought the THX Wow! laserdisc, and before it plays the Wow! sequence, it asks to put the reciever in THX Home Cinema Mode. When I press the THX button I only get DDPLII, DDPI, and DTS:NEO 6. Is this the same thing? When watching a 5.1 DVD, hitting THX sends it into THX Cinema on the OSD, but not on analog sources.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think it's added on top of DD and DTS. On page 31, under "Expanded", it says "You can also use with Dolby Digital sources for a wider stereo field than the Standard modes" I think the other Advanced Modes are added on top as well. I like Advanced Music with ProLogicII for 2ch music.

KerryKimball

Auditioning
I have never seen "THX Cinema" on my OSD of the 1014??

If I hit THX button while watching a 5.1 DD disc I ONLY get THXES to display ??

hmm

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't display it on the TV just on the front of the 1014. I can only get THX Cinema because I only have a 5.1 and not 6.1 or 7.1.

KerryKimball

Auditioning
I meant the front of the 1014. Sorry.

So you think that because I have a 7.1 system that's why only THX EX comes up. The manual implies that if you hit the THX button repeatedly it cycles through 3 modes (THX Cinema, THX EX and Dolby Prologic IIX Cinema)

Doesn't appear to do that??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks