dts vs thx cinema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bryan A, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bryan A

bryan A Agent

I am just wondering which is better? I just bought a pioneer 1014 and my wife and I were watching remember the titans which is thx certified and also in Dts. My wife thought it sounded better with thx while I thought dts sounded better. I just need this to be cleared up.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    THX is not a format, it is post-processing on top of any format. IOW, THX can be applied to DTS. THX tends to roll off the highs and I never use it, because IMO, it sounds worse in most setups and with most movies. For the odd movie that has a very bright mix though, it can help.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

To add to what John said: The fact that a disc is "THX certified" has nothing to do with how you play it. The certification simply means that certain standards and checks were applied to the disc during its creation.

M.

4. bryan A

bryan A Agent

thanks guys for the info

5. UliseZ

UliseZ Extra

well i have a Pioneer Elite receiver and i use the THX the whole time (just for movies) but for radio and else i use one of the dsps or just stereo, i do like the THX processing and much better than the dsps i don't know for me it brings the movie into life, that's my comment.

6. bryan A

bryan A Agent

My wife said the Thx sounded better she said "dts just sounds louder" I did not agree with that statement but that is why I ask you guys the questions so I can prove her wrong.

7. Michael Reuben

You can't. People have debated the issue on this board for years, and it has never been resolved and probably never will be.

For technical reasons I won't bore you with, your wife is probably correct that the DTS track is louder than the Dolby Digital.

M.

8. bryan A

bryan A Agent

I am just talking about switching modes on the receiver from Thx cinema to Dts and the difference of sounds.

9. Michael Reuben

Then you're just talking about playing back the same DTS track through two different receiver modes. One mode isn't "better" than the other; it's just personal preference.

M.

10. bryan A

bryan A Agent

Thanks Michael for clearing that up, sorry the the newb questions I am still new at this and learning as well.

11. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

You must be a newlywed......or else youd've learned your lesson about that by now....[​IMG]

12. bryan A

bryan A Agent

No I have been married for six years now I just think it is fun to prove her wrong. And yes I do know I am fighting an uphill battle [​IMG]