What's new

Thoughts on using receiver as a Pre/Pro (1 Viewer)

ScottMP

Auditioning
I've been lamenting a new pre/pro and amps. I have hunted around for a a good sub $4000 pre/pro that offers the same features as the Denon 3803 in my bedroom and I am having trouble. Some do but then you read comments about reliability, or hum or whether the company is likely to be around in 2 years.

I'd like to hear comments about people who have used say a 3803, 4802R or 5803 or any receiver as a pre/pro with external amplification. I have a full large NHT speaker system which likes warm sound from the pre/pro but a lot of juice from an amp, which I don't think you can get from integrated.

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
If your reciever has the preamp outs for all channels, there is no reason that you can not. I used a separate power amp on my last HK receiver; that one was from the generation that had lower power to the surrounds than the fronts. Since I had a couple of spare power amps around, I just used on of those and it worked great.

The only this you have to be aware of is the input sensitivity of the power amp you are using, and what your receiver's pre-out is capable of. If the amp requires 1.25V for full output, make sure your pre outs can deliver that. With most consumer amps, that will not be a problem.

The separate Pre/Pro's will generally have higher capability since they do not know what it is being hooked up to. My Yamaha C2 stereo preamp can put out over 11V!!, I never had a power amp that needed over 2v for full output. Good Luck.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi , im courious as to what nht you have? i also have nht and went prepro. i was usuing pioneer elite as a reciver and started usuing is as pre amp. this lasted a shore time as i went for the b&k rev 50. i purchased the ati 2505 amp
( 250 by 5) i had a prbolem with the output volts i did not have enough with the pioneer. i loved the pioneer piece. i get much cleaner sound now but, setting it up takes a toll.
im still trying to understand the book on the b&k. if you do go for a preamp make sure its format upgradeable.
frank

ScottMP

Auditioning
I have the VT-2 System with VS-2 centers and surrounds. I had a B&K reference 20 running through Adcom amps, but the system was six years old and sounding a little, well, old. I have been toying with the Reference 50, but I was thinking something new, besides B&K. I have always like the Denon 5803 but fear it cannot adequately drive the NHT mains as they are full range, granted they are still 8 ohm speakers. I am in the process of rebuilding my living room system around the NHT's which I like. TV, DVD, PRE/PRO amps. I have a large collection of laserdiscs so I'd like a receiver like the 5803 or the new Z9 with the RF input.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I agree with you on the NHT's liking a decent amount of "juice" - while I run a full set of SuperOnes, they sound better off of a 100Wpc amp than an 80Wpc.

May I suggest a Parasound amp, or perhaps even a set of Marantz monoblocks? I've heard both, and came this close to buying 5 monoblocks... the Parasound was out of my ballpark at the time. And both have a "warm" sound that should go well with the NHTs...

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
thr nht love juice, i have the evolution series. i use the ati 2505 5 channels by 250 watts each. and the b&k ref 50.
i am very happy with the setup. i also have a 18" velodyne in the room. the system rocks. i purchased nht sb 1 for 7.1 rears. by the way nht tech staff is on e of the best i ever had to deal with. a great bunch of guys help me slot when i first got them. frank.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Scott I am using my 3803 as a pre connected to a rotel amp. It is working out excellent. The 3803 has all the features that need well most of them. I took this approach as an upgrade route and will be replacing the 3803 in the future however I will probably add another amp first then probably the AVM 20. But I am happy with the 3803 as a pre most defintely.

However with the price drop of the B&K Ref 50 you may want to take a look at that as well.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks