What's new

Thoughts on the D-Box? (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, its me again.
I have recently finished an ESB allignment shiva, with an Adire AVA250 amp, and this thing is really pretty damn sweet.

The thing is, a friend of wants to add a subwoofer to his HT system, and there is a D-Box David 302 going at Costco for about $300 Canadian. It is really hard to audition because thats the only place I've ever seen it, and you dont get very good results in a warehouse with a lot of background noice.

If someone has had any experience with the mentioned sub, could you please compare it to a well built ESB Shiva allignment? And dont forget, that it cost me about $500 in total *Canadian* to built the Shiva, while the D-Box is going for $300.

Thanks a lot.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the surround on the D-Box, then take a look at the surround on your Shiva. Also measure up the box and port then use LspCAD to figure out the tuning point. Also look at how much it weighs (boxes built from 3/4" MDF and well braced are heavy).

I don't think the D-Box will be up to all that much (but not aweful for $300). Costco does have a really good return policy. Just buy one, try it, then either keep it or return it.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Im fairly sure the box is well built, judging by the look and feel of it.
Heres are the specs that I got from their website
Speaker: 12 inch with new CMS (Control Mass Suspension) technology speaker cone with high speed rubber suspension
Voice coil: 2 inch high power flat wire voice coil
Magnet Weight: 60 oz
Amplifier: 350 watt
Frequency response: 25Hz to 160 Hz
Electronic crossover: Double 12 dB/oct Butterworth cascade, , adjustable from 40Hz to 160 Hz
Phase correction: Adjustable from 0 to 180 degrees
Inputs: Line level and Hi-level (speakers)
Outputs: Hi-pass, filtered speaker level, 85 Hz, 6 dB/ octave
Enclosure type: Bass reflex loaded with aerodynamic vent
Finish: Black ash vinyl
Dimensions: Width : 15¾ in. x Depth : 14 7/8 in. x Height : 20 3/8 in.
Net weight: 55 pounds
By the look of it, the internal volume cannot be over 75, and is probably less because of the thickness of the MDF, and other internal bracing/amps.
Unfortunately nothing about the tuning, but seems that it would be over 25Hz, as it is only as low as the sub goes.
I tuned by shiva to 18Hz, and crossed over at about 100, so those crossover specs seem a bit off.
I was hoping for a bit more support towards the shiva, as IM trying to get my buddy into DIY more :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was looking at it for my roommate after we got him some JBL Studio series speakers and a Yamaha amp. The surround is about a quarter the size of the Shivas. That tells you something about the excursion abilities of the driver.
It's been a long time since I measured one (not properly, just dimensions). If memory serves it was a 3.5" port that would tune the enclosure to almost 40hz. Not much of a flare either.
Between a big Shiva or Dayton DVC12" and the D-Box. No contest, not even close. If you are willing to help your buddy build the thing, and he can manage the extra couple hundred, he'd be crazy not to take you up on your offer.
My roommate is glad he did when I offered ;)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
If you're going to help your buddy build a Shiva I'm sure that would be the way to go, but like Dustin said, Costco's return policy is great. Maybe in the meantime he should buy the d-box and demo it for the 30 days, it may be all he thinks he needs.

Cheers,

Steve

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I will definitely help him build a Shiva if he is willing to spend that much, and im pretty sure he is.
After I built mine, which was only a few days ago, I cant wait to build something else, and maybe helping him would hold me off for another day or two :)
The reason I asked, is if there wasnt THAT much of a difference between the two, it would be a better choice to go with the d-box, but if the shiva wins hands down, then its no contest.
Thanks agian, and happy building :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks