What's new

Thor (2011) Discussion/Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Elsa Pataky.

That's her, I think she's hot with beautiful eyes. I hope to see more of her in other films here in the states.

Crawdaddy

Al_S

Second Unit
I saw it in 3D over the weekend and thought it was just OK, nothing great. I thought the casting was not that great. I'd rate it a C.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Also, I just found out that Chris Hemsworth is actually married to the actress that plays the female cop, Vin Diesel hooks up with in Fast Five.

That lucky S.O.B. She is smoking hot!!!

Going to see Thor tomorrow and it sounds like almost everyone here enjoyed the hell out of it. Looking forward to seeing it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Going to see it tonight in 2D , with Glasses I cannot handle 3d. Anyhow glad its getting fairly good word of Mouth. I'm wondering since I have'nt read up on the story. In the Comic of the 60's ( I have'nt read any new origins) Thor pretty much inhabits the body of an Earth Doctor forming a Dual Identity, Ala Clark Kent, that can be summoned by pounding the doctor's walking stick which doubles for Thor's hammer, I always thought this cool. I take it they've jettisoned this part of the story?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
So without his alter ego he's just gonna prance around earth in his Thor Getup all the time...hmm

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I don't believe this is a spoiler but just in case:

When Thor is stripped of his powers by Odin, he also loses his armor. He appears on earth wearing more common clothing.

PatH

Second Unit
To the poster who said even Superman might fall before Thor after a few rounds, I'd agree. Supes has always had trouble against magic and deities. But put Thor up against GORT (original version, please!) and there'd be no contest. As Klaatu says, "There is no limit to his power." And no limit means . . . no limit.

PatH

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the loss of armor was particularly bad CG. Was his outfit like that of Iron Man, somehow folding up and shrinking away? Maybe it was the blurring effect of the 3D, but this effect stood out for me as one that defied suspension of disbelief.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I saw the movie last night with the whole family and we all enjoyed it very much. It was very loud and others had said it was loud so I wonder if the studios do have some influence over the theaters to force certain volume levels.

After having the night to think about the movie, I think there is one serious flaw; the movie skips the origins of Thor and Loki and just assumes you know their powers and characteristics. There is much written about the Norse gods Thor and Loki but these are the Marvel versions and most don't know anything about them. Even the simple scene where Odin is walking with his young sons, the film makers should have identified which son is which. Not everyone is going to know automatically that the blonde boy is Thor or that he was arrogant and solved everything through fighting so obviously the boy saying those things was Thor.

I hope they filmed about 10 minutes of scenes with Thor and Loki growing up and will be on the Blu-ray version. Some characteristics that should have been covered in the origins part are:

1. Does every Asgardian have magical powers and Loki is just better at it or is it just Loki? As the movie is right now, they can make up his magical powers as needed and to any limit since they are never really discussed.

2. Was Loki a trickster / rotten little pain in the xxx growing up, constantly manipulating everyone or was he just a little jealous of his brother but otherwise happy? Did Odin really favor Thor or was that just in Loki's head? Did Loki want the throne for himself? There are statements in the movie that give a clue to those questions but they are vague. Some growing up scenes would help understand Loki's intent and motivation. Having to just assume the characters are like the old stories doesn't really work especially given the changes to Loki in the movie.

I really think the movie would work much better if we had a much fuller understanding of Loki from his youth. At best the movie just seems to imply without really saying it that Loki felt Odin favored Thor's strength and action over Loki's more thoughtful approach and that should explain Loki's actions at the end of the movie. Basically the whole Boromir/Faramir dynamic from Lord of the Rings. Plus I can't help but think Odin is just as much a bad dad as Denethor was, given what was and was not shown in the movie. Odin wanted to teach Thor a lesson so he could become a great king at the expense of his other son. Way to not play favorites, Dad.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chuck: You caught that Loki is actually an ice giant runt, stolen from the ice giant king and raised as Odin's son, right? His powers are different than Thor's because Loki, biologically speaking, isn't Asgardian at all.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Chuck: You caught that Loki is actually an ice giant runt, stolen from the ice giant king and raised as Odin's son, right? His powers are different than Thor's because Loki, biologically speaking, isn't Asgardian at all.
That proves my point more because there was nothing from the Ice Giants that indicates they have magical powers either. Wouldn't others have wondered about Loki's magical powers if no other Asgardian had such powers? What are the extent of them and has he used them growing up for good/bad/neither? Clearly Odin touching the baby changed him in some way or at least being within Odin's influence helps him maintain Asgardian features and/or powers. In the movie, no one suspected Loki wasn't full Asgardian, even Loki himself. Too many unanswered questions about their origins that would have greatly enhanced understanding of the characters' actions later in the movie.

Again the movie was very good and very entertaining but during the entire ending Loki was a random act generating machine because there was no basis for any of his actions except our own personal preconceived notions about what he was like as a youth or what he is supposed to be like as an adult. Odin kept saying he treated them equally and Loki as a full son (so why are you acting out?) but there is nothing on film that indicates it is true or false.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Loki was a complicated villain. The God of Mischief. A trickster. I thought Tom Hiddleston really nailed the part.

Spoilers Ahoy -

He didn't much care for his brother but it looked like he genuinely loved his foster parents, or did I read it wrong? He stopped his real father King Laufey from killing Odin. But was it because of love for his father or just to be seen as a saviour of Asgard and heir to the throne? I'll have to see it again, fantastic film.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Loki was a complicated villain. The God of Mischief. A trickster. I thought Tom Hiddleston really nailed the part.

Spoilers Ahoy -

He didn't much care for his brother but it looked like he genuinely loved his foster parents, or did I read it wrong? He stopped his real father King Laufey from killing Odin. But was it because of love for his father or just to be seen as a saviour of Asgard and heir to the throne? I'll have to see it again, fantastic film.

The God of Mischief is the preconceived notions I was talking about. Those are from real world legend and in those he is not an Ice Giant. The movie is about the Marvel universe so some origins is necessary to understand how Odin, Loki, and Thor are in the Marvelverse. It is like having a Batman origin story and starting immediately on the day he becomes Batman and never even show or mention his parents death.

Your question about Loki's motivation in killing King Laufey and saving Odin are part of why I think more origin is necessary. If you take Loki's statement to King Laufey at face value "I just wanted to disrupt my brother's day and keep from being under that idiot's rule a little longer" and combine it with his statements to Thor about him destroying the Ice Giants world so when father awoke he would see how effective and strong he was, then Loki saving Odin was out of love and his way of demonstrating he would be a great king because he could take care of the Ice Giants himself. Odin didn't need the muscle bound idiot to be king but his other, more reasoned and intelligent son. Again though this interpretation needs to be inferred and certainly up for debate.

The other part which would be nice to have 60 seconds devoted to it. "Let he who is worthy be able to wield the hammer and have the power of Thor." What is the power of Thor? Does the hammer make him super strong so he can wield the hammer or is it his super strength that allows him to wield the hammer? The whole "hammer in the stone" confuses the issue quite a bit because at first it appears more of a magic spell holding it into place rather than too heavy to lift, like Excalibur. But at the end Thor uses the hammer to hold Loki in place by placing it on his chest, implying only some one strong enough can wield it or maybe it is just Thor who can lift it? I'm sure all the fans know all the answers and they are obvious but if every Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man origins movie can spend the first 20+ minutes explaining it then this movie can about a far less well known hero.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
According to Marvel lore, only those who are worthy can lift the hammer. It really just means Thor and Odin; though various comics have let a select few others effect Mjolnir.

I believe Captain America lifted it once, and the Hulk was actually able to use his physical strength to lift the hammer (He is the only one to ever do so.)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Originally Posted by Brian Sheffield

According to Marvel lore, only those who are worthy can lift the hammer. It really just means Thor and Odin; though various comics have let a select few others effect Mjolnir.

I believe Captain America lifted it once, and the Hulk was actually able to use his physical strength to lift the hammer (He is the only one to ever do so.)

Beta Ray Bill

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Hence, a select few others.

He just wanted to know if it was strength alone that let one lift the hammer. The answer is no.

I'm not a big Thor comic fan. Feel free to explain that character's back story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The film seems to be enjoying good word-of-mouth, so it should have another good weekend. Although, as I have stressed here, I have been telling everyone to see it in 2D.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey

I saw the movie last night with the whole family and we all enjoyed it very much. It was very loud and others had said it was loud so I wonder if the studios do have some influence over the theaters to force certain volume levels.

Glad to hear someone else mention this point. The theater I saw it in had the volume so loud I thought blood was going to start pouring out of my ears. I usually love loud movies, but this was so over the top it was uncomfortable. I was actually going to look for a manager on the way out of the theater to complain, but by the time it was over I just felt like getting the hell out of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks