What's new

Thor (2011) Discussion/Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A wrestling site is reporting that HHH is up for the role of Thor. Far more interesting is that his competition is Kevin McKidd! He's maybe not massive enough for some, but he can act. He was great in Journeyman. If he lands the role, it might turn out to be the best casting decision since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.

McKidd in armor from Rome:

HHH In Line For Major Movie Role?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Also, Matthew Vaughn is reportedly off this film. No new director known yet. And, Thor is still slated to appear first in Iron Man 2.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I havent seen Stardust but I liked his ideas for Xmen. Kelsey was his idea and IMHO he was the best thing about that film.
(BTW Beast will appear in Magneto)

Oh and please no to Triple H.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am not a big fan of Marvel comics. But, I have heard rumors that Thor will be in the sequel. Is this guy really a god or just someone with abilities (ie-Wonder Woman)? Also, can gods be killed or hurt?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He's the Norse god of thunder, son of Odin. He can be hurt and killed and has been "dead" before. I think he has to eat golden apples to keep healthy and strong. :)

Maybe Vince D'Onofrio can reprise the role. . . . Too old.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Hopefully rumors they are throwing out the hugely praised script in favor of a new more "modern" story. That would be terrible.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm relatively disappointed that Matthew Vaughn seems to have been taken off the directing duties for this film. I liked what he did with "Stardust" and he seemed really excited to deliver a great comic book movie (he was previously attached to do X-Men 3). He helped develop that script that's supposed to be really good. Either way, I hope they can bring someone on board who can make a great film out of it. And I also hope they make this supposedly great script instead of completely re-writing it (I suspect it's so they could more easily plop him into an "Avengers" movie after the success of "Iron Man").

As far as actors go, I liked Kevin McKidd when his name first popped up on the rumor mills months ago. So I'm all for him landing the part. The image that Greg posted is actually from the film "The Last Legion", not "Rome". This is him from "Rome" :) :

Anyway, there's been come rumors recently that Marvel wants Brad Pitt for Thor. Of all the big name actors, he'd probably be the one for it and I'm sure he'd be fine if not ideal. But if not McKidd, I kinda like the idea of Sean Bean as Thor.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I dislike Brad Pitt, so I hope he doesn't get it. Sorry about the Last Legion/Rome mixup. That photo was identified as being from Rome at another site. He looks even more the part in this real Rome photo, if anything. He would make a great Don Blake at the very least.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was be hugely disappointed if they dumped the current script. It got so much praise from those who read it.

Too expensive maybe.

I like the choice of Sean Bean as well.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Like anything in Hollywood, money is wasted on big budget films. There are ways to make these films cheaper and have them look like they cost a fortune, but Hollywood studios do not have the discipline to do it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd kill to see the original script. HINT. Bueller, Bueller...

1) Thor doesn't fit into the established universe of the Iron Man film. It'll be a turn-off to the casual viewers who went regardless of the comic origins...I call them the majority. While you could port RDJ into an Avengers movie with Edgar Wright as Ant-Man and whoever as Thor, it will look out of place in an Iron Man film.

2) I think Fantasy is the way to go for a Thor film. It'll make the Avengers thing more interesting. Nordic myth is great stuff.

3) Triple H, Brad Pitt, ugh. McKidd is the closest they've come, and even he is a bit small. Good luck casting this one.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I always thought of Thor as HUGE, with dimensions like those of Sven-Ole Thorsen, who was 6'5" and weighed 304 pounds in Conan the Barbarian. Unfortunately, guys that big aren't generally good actors.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I agree with this. I've always wanted the comic movies to feel like they are part of the Marvel Universe, but the current Iron Man movie appeals even to those who have never read a comic book. A big blonde dude swooping in and saying "verily" just doesn't seem to work right now. The first movie set the tone for them to be reasonably grounded technothrillers, at least until the Avengers movie has shown what can be done.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brad Pitt as Thor! OMG......Ahhh Haa Haa....That would be great.......if you want to make an unintentional comedy. I'm not not knocking the guy as an actor. He does a good job in that respect, but to my mind he just cannot fill the bill from a strictly physical point of view. Triple H could probably fill the bill physically but I can just imagine his "acting ability".

So far, the one that comes the closest is this McKidd fellow; however, I haven't actually seen him act, so it is hard to say what he would be like in that respect.

Sean Bean :emoji_thumbsup: :thumbsdown: He may fit the bill, but I doubt it. He just doesn't strike me as having the "right" look, either.

They are going to have a bitch of time casting this one. I wish them good luck in finding someone with the physical size needed, as well as actual acting ability.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
They don't need an actor. The need a presense. That was what they did for CONAN and it worked big-time. Do an international search.

But don't cast a "name" actor because nobody out there now could possibly fill Thor's shoes. We'd just see the actor in a costume and it wouldn't work.

Liam Neeson from 20 years ago would be perfect, but you cannot turn back time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks