What's new

Thinking of a HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
FoxyMulder said:
Decent sub but i think the HSU will play louder and go deeper with less distortion than a Jamo D7.
Does it have a motion feedback circuit like the D7 to limit distortion (accuracy is more important to me than quantity)?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
Does it have a motion feedback circuit like the D7 to limit distortion (accuracy is more important to me than quantity)?
Hsu doesn't use active feedback. But that is just one means to and end. I would bet the hsu would be preferred over a single D7 in most scenarios.

Check post 106 here

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1321789-anyone-heard-jamo-d6-d7-sub-thx-ultra-2-specs-how-would-compare-id-4.html

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
It practically eliminates distortion. So it is probably sounds better..

First, it is important to remember that human hearing becomes increasingly insensitive to harmonic distortion as frequencies decrease.

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(2001-09%20AES%20%20Preprint)%20-%20Dev.%20Test%20Signals%20EIA-426-B.PDF

1)servo = reduction in 2nd order harmonics. Other harmonics are not minimized.

2)Harmonics manifest themselves in *even order* and *odd order*. 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th(etc) are even order. 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th(etc) are odd order.

3)the higher (order) the harmonic the more audible it will be. So all things being equal 5% of a 9th harmonic will be more audible than 5% of a 2nd harmonic.

4)Odd order harmonics tend to sound "wrong" to listeners. Even order harmonics----especially 2nd order then to sound like a natural extension of the fundamental.

So what you have is the servo lowering the least offensive harmonic out of all of them. Nothing wrong with that, but to claim it "practically eliminates distortion" is just common marketing-speak.

If you want to learn more visit http://www.data-bass.com/home and study the measurements for the various servo and non servo designs. You'll see patterns development eventually..:)

None of this is to say the D7 isn't a good subwoofer of course. You are just comparing it to a *really* good subwoofer.

Tom V.Power Sound Audio

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
arjundeepakshriram said:
Thanks Tom. I dont own a Hsu so I cant make any further objective judgements on the two..
That's what the /boggle meant. You were making magical assumptions based on marketing and not, ya know, actually hearing either sub.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
Thanks Tom. I dont own a Hsu so I cant make any further objective judgements on the two..

Yeah, no worries. The D7 is Ultra THX certified. Even though you need two of them to meet the standard that is still fairly impressive. I'm sure it performs really well..:)Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Vodhanel said:
Yeah, no worries. The D7 is Ultra THX certified. Even though you need two of them to meet the standard that is still fairly impressive. I'm sure it performs really well..:)Tom V.Power Sound Audio
One is enough in my very small room..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wait, I thought the D7(never seen one) was some Von Schweikert class subwoofer capable of cracking a concrete slab.For a good laugh...the spec page at Jamo(and clearly...the Audiovox penchant for truth looms large) says...20-200Hz +/- 3db

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
arjundeepakshriram said:
Weak spec? I think not..
Sorry I stated that poorly. Not that specs of the box itself are weak but that "it virtually eliminates distortion". i.e. I'm assuming you are talking about it's THD which really isn't perceptibly different by humans tho I'm sure you can measure the differences with a scope.i.e. if you are picking subs by THD rating alone.... well, again attributing to magic and brand fandom rather than what your ears and wallet tell you =)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
One is enough in my very small room..
I'm sure, it looks like a very powerful subwoofer. Just take THX Ultra specs and subtract 6 and you get worst case performance for the D7...which is still *really* good..:) Many AVS members were picking these up for $500 each I think(?). Incredible value.Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Tom is being humble in here, but his own products are a definite contender in this space. I've been to many subwoofer shoot outs, and at the last one I attended, the XV15 astonished everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks