What's new

Thinking of a HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer (2 Viewers)

xxl2

Grip
Real Name
nic
Hi everyone i have had my Martin logan sound bar for a bit and now id like to add a subwoofer. ALot of people have told me this a is a good one VTF-15H Subwoofer. My question is this worth them money and whats the sound like i wish i could hear it before i buy it. Hearing something makes me feel better about spending. Like driveing a car before you bu. Also how dose it do wireless becuase that is the way i would like to connect it

Thanks for the help

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"How much does it cost?"

Details can be found here:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

As of today: Black model: $839.00 Rosenut: $999.00 -- but check the link...

"Also how dose it do wireless becuase that is the way i would like to connect it"

You did not include a model number - found a review for
Martin Logan Motion Vision Sound Bar
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatersystemreview/fr/Martin-Logan-Motion-Vision-Sound-Bar-Review.htm

-- Not sure if that is your model or not - but it lists:

"Subwoofer Outputs: Both wired (via RCA line output) and wireless (via built-in SWT-2 transmission). Compatible wireless-enabled subwoofers include the Martin Logan Dynamo 1000w and 700w."

Since the HSU is not a wireless-enabled subwoofers - you would either have to get an RCA cable and run a "wire", or some kind of external wireless kit to go with it....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No Wireless. You need an electrical outlet from the wall and you need to go with an RCA cable from your receiver to the sub.

I have the VTF-15H and love it. If you are near MD come by for a demo.

Basement by Kadath, on Flickr

xxl2

Grip
Real Name
nic
Sorry must have been confused okay i dont have to have it wireless. Which would be better the Martin Logan Dynamo 1000w or the HSU VTF-15H ?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Which would be better the Martin Logan Dynamo 1000w or the HSU VTF-15H ? "

-- A 12" model that runs for $1000.00 -- or a 15" model that goes for $839.00, and has adjustable ports/plugs and configuration?

I would take the HSU if all else is equal and you are just comparing the sound/results of the two

Trade offs:

The HSU has a lot bigger footprint, and you do not have the option of going wireless - but is cheaper and will go lower and has the option of running as ported or sealed...

If space is an issue, and/or you have to go wireless - and $$$ is not that important - go with the Martin Logan...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Type A said:
I would suspect the ML would do a little better with music but the Hsu would go harder and deeper.
I have read some reliable reviews of the HSU, it can really punch hard at reference volume levels, at the price it's ideal for cinema.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Seems like a LOT of sub for a soundbar, but there's really no such thing as "too much" sub. I'd go with the VTF-15H.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What size room? I agree that the VTF is going to be a waste with most sound bars.Since you already have a soundbar, you might look at similar sized subs as to what gets packed in with them. Have you seen my Paradigm Soundtrack 2 review?http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/331934-paradigm-soundtrack-2-sound-bar-review/I'd go with an 8-12" sub. In fact I just recently bought a Yamaha Sub to go with a stereo setup that might meet your needs nicely if you have a small space:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FJ89UO/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sam Posten said:
What size room? I agree that the VTF is going to be a waste with most sound bars.Since you already have a soundbar, you might look at similar sized subs as to what gets packed in with them. Have you seen my Paradigm Soundtrack 2 review?http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/331934-paradigm-soundtrack-2-sound-bar-review/I'd go with an 8-12" sub. In fact I just recently bought a Yamaha Sub to go with a stereo setup that might meet your needs nicely if you have a small space:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FJ89UO/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
All true. However, if the current budget allows spending now avoids future upgrades. A good sub is for life regardless of what you may own for speakers, or a room, in the future.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good point Ty, I don't disagree with that at all, my M&K sub from the first month of DVD release works as good today as it did when I bought it. It wouldn't be my choice if I was shopping for a replacement today tho!$130 for a nice consumer grade sub that matches your needs and fits in well with what you've got is a pretty smart move IMO vice dropping $850 today and getting something that doesn't necessarily meet your needs or desires down the road. Who knows what sub tech or style or price points will look like 3 years on?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
arjundeepakshriram said:
how is it compared to a jamo d7 subwoofer
Decent sub but i think the HSU will play louder and go deeper with less distortion than a Jamo D7.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could just buy a DIY kit from PE.For giggles once, I connected a Pinnacle Rhino 12 to a Yamaha 5100.To hear the 5100, I had to dial the Rhino to barely 10%. The 5100 has more guts than your ML.Our demo was the Pinnacle BabyBoomer. It was still more than the 5100 needed.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
arjundeepakshriram said:
how low does the hsu go
It's port has a 16hz tuning mode but you will need to read some reviews if you want to know how it compares to your Jamo, the HSU is very flexible though and can be used as a sealed subwoofer or a ported one.

At the 50hz to 70hz region where you can get that real slam kick in the chest bass the HSU will go well above reference volume levels with ease, it also plays loud down low too, two of them would be superb.

For price vs performance it does well, obviously if you spend much more you can get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks