What's new

Thinking of a HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
schan1269 said:
Wait, I thought the D7(never seen one) was some Von Schweikert class subwoofer capable of cracking a concrete slab.For a good laugh...the spec page at Jamo(and clearly...the Audiovox penchant for truth looms large) says...20-200Hz +/- 3db
Is that very poor??

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I stated that poorly. Not that specs of the box itself are weak but that "it virtually eliminates distortion". i.e. I'm assuming you are talking about it's THD which really isn't perceptibly different by humans tho I'm sure you can measure the differences with a scope.i.e. if you are picking subs by THD rating alone.... well, again attributing to magic and brand fandom rather than what your ears and wallet tell you =)
My ears dont lie..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No the response is not poor. Tom linked the S&V article showing the 20-80 response was even better at a 4db spread, not 6.They probably added DSP to achieve that. And in bringing 20-25 "up" to match...it limits maximum output.I would like to see an absolute output curve without DSP. But...doubt you can bypass the DSP.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
arjundeepakshriram said:
My ears dont lie..
But you haven't heard the Hsu and you are assuming you will hear some kind of distortion in that that you aren't getting with your current sub. IE you are attributing to physics that which is best explained by marketing. I'm not trying to be a jerk here Arjun, I'm pointing out there are assumptions and biases that we all forget we have but which are brilliantly illustrated by your post.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
But you haven't heard the Hsu and you are assuming you will hear some kind of distortion in that that you aren't getting with your current sub. IE you are attributing to physics that which is best explained by marketing. I'm not trying to be a jerk here Arjun, I'm pointing out there are assumptions and biases that we all forget we have but which are brilliantly illustrated by your post.
I have already said I wont make any further judgements.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
No the response is not poor. Tom linked the S&V article showing the 20-80 response was even better at a 4db spread, not 6.They probably added DSP to achieve that. And in bringing 20-25 "up" to match...it limits maximum output.I would like to see an absolute output curve without DSP. But...doubt you can bypass the DSP.
Oh I'd bet there is some signal manipulation going on there. A little over 3 cu-ft, it would be tough to get flat to 20hz without some assistance. That's common though, all of our products have various bits of EQing here and there as well.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Vodhanel said:
Oh I'd bet there is some signal manipulation going on there. A little over 3 cu-ft, it would be tough to get flat to 20hz without some assistance. That's common though, all of our products have various bits of EQing here and there as well. Tom V. Power Sound Audio
"Might" be the accelerometer?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
"Might" be the accelerometer?
Sorry, I'm a little lost here. Is this a reference to the Jamo servo circuit? Not sure what the question is?Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We don't know what you are talking about Arjun, please step back and write it in a whole sentence or something, we have no frame of reference. What you have quoted and your reply don't seem to be linked quite right.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
To even out the FR.
Oh okay, you are implying that the servo circuit in the Jamo might also be responsible for the signal manipulation to get the FR flat down to 20hz or so? Yeah, I suppose that is possible. Usually the "servo" is a separate circuit/loop in of itself but there are many variations.

The end result will be the same regardless though(in terms of amplifier demand).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
It does actually have something called MFB that post 106 at AVS says does something to make it sound better than the HSU on particular music tracks.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
It does actually have something called MFB that post 106 at AVS says does something to make it sound better than the HSU on particular music tracks.
I believe most of the listening tests where two Jamo versus one Hsu.

That should also be considered when comparing the two products.
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
I take my words back. I would not read any post comparing two subs to one as even remotely indicative of their abilities. This is not to say which is better or worse. I can only make a judgement when comparing one of each sub. If anyone has heard both subs they can make a better decision..

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
arjundeepakshriram said:
I take my words back. I would not read any post comparing two subs to one as even remotely indicative of their abilities. This is not to say which is better or worse. I can only make a judgement when comparing one of each sub. If anyone has heard both subs they can make a better decision..
Most of the time the budget in one of the top considerations when shopping for anything. In this case I believe the Jamo subs were on sale and you could get two of them for about the same price as one hsu. So everyone will need to make their own judgement on how to best compare these two products. I'm not even sure if the jamo is still available?

Tom V.Power Sound Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks