What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Heard a McDonalds add touting the any size drink for $1.

Two dudes are heard ordering drinks, one wants a small, one a large and lady says "You know all drinks are $1?" And both guys seem so excited by this. "You blew my mind!" they say.

I'm thinking, why would I be excited that I'm paying $1 for a small drink and my buddy is getting a LARGE for same price I'm payin?? I'd be like, "What a rip off!, I want the largest drink you got for $1 and I'll toss out what I don't drink!!" LOLOL

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Two dudes are heard ordering drinks, one wants a small, one a large and lady says "You know all drinks are $1?" And both guys seem so excited by this. "You blew my mind!" they say.

I'm thinking, why would I be excited that I'm paying $1 for a small drink and my buddy is getting a LARGE for same price I'm payin?? I'd be like, "What a rip off!, I want the largest drink you got for $1 and I'll toss out what I don't drink!!" LOLOL

You know gigantic drinks are $1.00, but they charge $50.00 to use the restrooms!:dance:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

We have a local convenience store that charges 99 cents for any size drink (coffee, fountain soda, icy freeze). I've never understood why anyone would choose a smaller size when the large is the same price. I suppose if you have a child or maybe an elderly person who cannot handle or would not finish a large drink, but then I might be upset that I had to pay the same price for the small as my large. Oh, well. First world problems.

The popularity of McDonald's baffles me, period. Even as a child I preferred Burger King or Wendy's to McD's, and that continues today on the few occasions per year when I feel like fast food. The quality of product just seems so much better at other places, and I don't think there's much of a difference in price. And if, for some reason, I end up eating at McD's, I keep tasting the meal for the rest of the day. Not sure why that aftertaste occurs, but it doesn't seem to happen at BK or Wendy's.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have a local convenience store that charges 99 cents for any size drink (coffee, fountain soda, icy freeze). I've never understood why anyone would choose a smaller size when the large is the same price. I suppose if you have a child or maybe an elderly person who cannot handle or would not finish a large drink, but then I might be upset that I had to pay the same price for the small as my large. Oh, well. First world problems.

The popularity of McDonald's baffles me, period. Even as a child I preferred Burger King or Wendy's to McD's, and that continues today on the few occasions per year when I feel like fast food. The quality of product just seems so much better at other places, and I don't think there's much of a difference in price. And if, for some reason, I end up eating at McD's, I keep tasting the meal for the rest of the day. Not sure why that aftertaste occurs, but it doesn't seem to happen at BK or Wendy's.

At our Burger King they had a pit of plastic balls for little kids to play in. I remember the horrified look on the managers face when I told him I saw a 3 year old boy standing in the middle of it and proudly peeing!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

The only time I prefer McDonalds is for breakfast. Not bad for fast food.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I use their app to always get BOGO breakfast sandwiches or free McCafe drinks.. Heck of a deal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only time I prefer McDonalds is for breakfast. Not bad for fast food.

And the Egg White Delight Sandwiches aren't too horribly bad for you. (I swap out the Canadian Bacon for good ol' American Bacon though!) :D

Screen+Shot+2013-04-24+at+12.03.41+AM.png
Egg+White+Delight+McMuffin+Stats.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll never forget the first time I ran into that. We were on a family vacation to Niagara Falls when I was but a mere lad.

We went to a restaurant for breakfast and I ordered a particular meal which featured Canadian Bacon. I figured it would be regular old bacon but brought in across the Niagara from a Canadian farmer.

I was so pissed off! At the time I was not a big fan of ham. And, obviously, I still want regular bacon on my breakfast sandwiches! :laugh:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Baffled...

Is it just folks over the age of say 60 who think they need to print EVERY SINGLE email they get at work, and every single electronic document they receive??

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Baffled...

Is it just folks over the age of say 60 who think they need to print EVERY SINGLE email they get at work, and every single electronic document they receive??

The internet is magic, with things appearing out of nowhere. Who knows when they will also disappear? That's why many do not buy movies to download. Any music I buy from ITunes is immediately burned to CD for instance.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Strange that Americans call it Canadian bacon, a term unknown in Canada where it is Called "peameal bacon".
That's generally true, though I've seen Peameal Bacon referred to as Canadian in our home and native land on occasion.

I go back and forth on the two bacon varieties, these days. :D

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Sodas are one of the biggest cash cows for restaurants, movie theatres and fast food places.

They literally cost pennies. The cups are often more expensive. Unless you go inside and do a self serve thing rather than the drive thru, they're filled with ice, making the profit even larger.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
And the Egg White Delight Sandwiches aren't too horribly bad for you. (I swap out the Canadian Bacon for good ol' American Bacon though!) :D

Screen+Shot+2013-04-24+at+12.03.41+AM.png
Egg+White+Delight+McMuffin+Stats.jpg

Bacon is a processed food and one of the worst foods to eat.It may taste nice but all that salt can cause a stroke if you have too much in a day. Most people have no idea on how much salt they intake daily. Processed foods are also unhealthy as is eating too much red meat,which can eventually cause cancer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's no denying a single thing you wrote there, Peter. (Except maybe the part about too much red meat leading to cancer. Yes, it "can," but so can ingesting too much of many different things.)

My point was pretty much just that McDonald's has found ways to improve the nutritional content of the offering on their menu.

A Big Mac is still a Big Mac...but those who need something convenient and don't want THIS

hqdefault.jpg

Can now get the very tasty--and not horribly bad for you--SouthWest Salad. And this is a salad that can be enjoyed with a low-fat dressing. Or no dressing at all. The salad includes a slice of lime.

None of their offerings are going to be as healthy as health-conscious people would make at home. But items like the Egg White Delight are starting to make it possible to embrace the convenience of a fast food breakfast without completely breaking your personal nutritional bank.

download.inc.php

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Too sweet. There's far too much sugar and high fructose corn syrup in fast food. Not to mention sodium.

Nowadays, it's hard to eat healthy and stay on budget. You either grow your own food (and there's problems with that) or try to shop and cook locally, which can be much more expensive.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You either grow your own food (and there's problems with that) or try to shop and cook locally, which can be much more expensive.

Yeah. As Peter correctly pointed out above...processed foods are just horrible for you. Yet, over the last several decades, supermarkets have become populated almost entirely by processed foods. The old saw is true, you are best to just travel the outside perimeter of the market (produce/meat/dairy) and leave most of the inner aisles alone.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I've been dealing with people here in the city that live in "food deserts" in depressed areas. There's no supermarket within 5 miles from where they live. For folks without cars, this is a HUGE detriment. They tend to eat the crap they can get at the corner market or at the fast food places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks