What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I am always baffled that so many people believe in fortune tellers and horoscopes.
Never been to a fortune teller, but I live by my horoscope :D

Kidding, what a load of BS those things are. Kind of like reading a daily comic strip. They're so vague and general, parts of them are guaranteed to match your life. Yet some people almost let them run their lives. I'm a Gemini and a real good friend is always saying how she sees it in me, two people in one. I just play along and let her do whatever makes her happy.

Just call me Sybil. :P

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't understand why some folks (mainly males) on LinkedIn use such dooshy pictures of themselves. I've seen profile pix of guys all decked out in their Lance Armstrong wannabe bicycle outfits, Weight lifting pic, and the of course the classic defiant looking selfie while driving their car (wearing their mirror sunglasses) and the picture is usually taken from way down low practically looking up their nostrils.

Why not just ask a friend to take a decent business like picture of you and post it? It's not a social dating site or similar, it's main purpose is to make business contacts or new job contacts.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why some folks (mainly males) on LinkedIn use such dooshy pictures of themselves. I've seen profile pix of guys all decked out in their Lance Armstrong wannabe bicycle outfits, Weight lifting pic, and the of course the classic defiant looking selfie while driving their car (wearing their mirror sunglasses) and the picture is usually taken from way down low practically looking up their nostrils.

Why not just ask a friend to take a decent business like picture of you and post it? It's not a social dating site or similar, it's main purpose is to make business contacts or new job contacts.
Yeah, those "up" shots are pathetic, male or female. Even if it's a cheapie phone photo, at least have a friend do it so you look somewhat normal.

I'm still surprised so many people still do this. Good/Bad/Whatever, it's on the internet, now it's out there forever, it will never go away.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Strange that Americans call it Canadian bacon, a term unknown in Canada where it is Called "peameal bacon".

I've never heard it referred to as that. It has always been called Back Bacon in my neck of the woods.

I thought it was.funny when I ordered a ham and cheese pizza at Papa John's and the counterperson referred to it as "Canadian Bacon". I'm like, "it's Ham, man, not Back Bacon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After discussions between owners and moderators there is some desire to nudge HTF closer to its home-theater enthusiast roots, back towards its online presence as an oasis on the web, and away from the politics / religion / world-going-to-hell-in-handbasket posts that push against longtime HTF rules and goals. Likewise, regarding concerns around personal attacks, both against members and non-members.

Life isn't all Classic Movies, Blu-ray releases, and Fall TV Premieres, and so these threads are here. But they will be more closely moderated. Politics and religion have always been and remain verboten per HTF rules. There have been postings that skirt that line, whether out of ignorance or intentional trolling, who can say. But moderation approach will be more conservative for such comments, in an effort to make HTF open and and welcoming to both longtime and new members.

Likewise regarding personal attacks. The no-personal-attacks rule was, to my understanding, originally meant to prevent HTF-member infighting. But as the web and social media have made the world smaller, this has also brought some attention to avoiding personal attacks on people outside the forum, in the spirit of the forum's goal of having productive conversation between its members.

Hopefully this is all very simple, obvious and unsurprising to everyone. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I've never heard it referred to as that. It has always been called Back Bacon in my neck of the woods.

I thought it was.funny when I ordered a ham and cheese pizza at Papa John's and the counterperson referred to it as "Canadian Bacon". I'm like, "it's Ham, man, not Back Bacon.

It probably has other coatings now, but what is called "back bacon" or "Canadian Bacon" was always rolled and covered in a crust made from ground peas. That is what the edge of each slice is lined with.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It must be a more regional Eastern Canada thing. I''ve never seen a coating on Back Bacon out West here. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the store. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Yes, you are missing a yucky crumbly coating on the edge of your back bacon! I have never bought it myself, but my father used to love it. (I would always bitch until it was cut off for me, spoiled brat that I was!)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, you are missing a yucky crumbly coating on the edge of your back bacon! I have never bought it myself, but my father used to love it. (I would always bitch until it was cut off for me, spoiled brat that I was!)
Yours wasn't a "Leave It To Beaver" type household, I gather? ;)

Just teasing, of course!

CHEERS! :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

Apparently, it is like Brie cheese. Some people like the rind on Brie. My sister hates it. Says it ruins the taste of the cheese and has it cut off whenever she orders anything with Brie in it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yours wasn't a "Leave It To Beaver" type household, I gather? ;)

Just teasing, of course!

CHEERS! :)
Wow, this Canadian stuff is so odd. I live in Washington, not that far away Been to Canada many times, but obviously a very different culture I've not come across :P

Way, way off topic, but have to mention it. Last time I was in Canada, drove over the border with no problem. Coming back into Washington, I was almost strip-searched. They checked me out and proceeded to rip my car apart. Going through the trunk, the back seats, and literally removed the front seats, searching for whatever.

After about three hours, they just said "Sorry to have bothered you, you're free to go". Never found out why I was stopped, apparently just looking for dark haired white guys and I fit the profile.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why families schedule holiday meals for odd times outside the regular meal schedule?

Holiday dinners in my family are usually scheduled somewhere around 2 to 3PM. I'd much rather eat around Noon or 5-6PM. With dinner at 2PM, you're starved because you don't dare eat lunch, then you gorge yourself at 2PM, only to end up hungry again at bedtime.

Is it just my family that does this? I've never understood it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks