What's new

The worst commercials (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
:angry: I have this rule on commercials. If the commercial is stupid (not in a good way) then I ain't going to buy the product. How can I put money in the pockets of idiots that would OK a stupid commercial?
Mentos is on my list. Yeah, I know a lot of people like the product, even those that hate the commercial. But I gotta draw the line.
The reason I bring this up is because I saw a couple of Virgin Mobile commercials this weekend and I know that I will NEVER buy their phones. They may be stupider than the Mentos commercials.
Anybody got any other commercials that you hate seeing? And you do buy their stuff anyway?

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Commericials aren't made by the same people who make the actual products, you know. Most of the time it isn't even the same company that makes the commericials. Chances are the people who make the products hate the commericials as much as you do, but they can't do anything about it because that's a function of marketing (and the less said about that evil profession the better).

Anyway, the commercials I hate the most are those for Mitsubishi (I think) cars where you see the kids be-bopping to pop tunes. The most prominent one features a chick wearing a jaunty cap. What's the point? I can be-bop in any car, not just a Mitsubishi.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Of course I know that commercials are made by different people. I'm obviously not trying to rational here. Please keep your logic to yourself.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, the problem with the Mitsubishi comercial is not that they are rocking out, but the poor girl in the passenger seat is having a seizure and they aren't taking her to the hospital... :D
The most annoying comercials right now is those damn Verizon comercials. Can we have a rock dropped on that guy's head. Like I need another reason to hate Verizon...
Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I'm obviously not trying to rational here. Please keep your logic to yourself.
touchy touchy... :)
agreed on the verizon commercials. if i hear "can you hear me now?" one more time. i also can't stand the pizza commercials with that billy sardell guy? i mean, wtf?
i kinda like the mits commercials...at least they turned me on to some cool tunes. same thing with the vw commercials - at least they have some good songs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ALL car commercials. Except Volkswagon. They at least have some imagination. NOTE TO CAR COMPANYS: I WILL NEVER BUY A CAR BECAUSE OF A TV ADVERTISEMENT

Checkers/Rallys. If I "gotta eat" I'm definately NOT doing it there.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
800-CALL-ATT. Watching Carrot Top and that Arquette guy scream into the camera is a torture technique in some countries. I think that's how they tried to break down that pilot in "Black Hawk Down."

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I hate the new Apple commercials...

"I bought a PC... and when I plugged in my Digital Video camera, a message box popped up and told me to insert the installation CD. That's too difficult for me. So, I went out and spent an extra $1000 for an iMac. Sure, now my kids can't eat, and the fungus growing on my foot has made its way up to my genitals because I cant afford medication, but now, I never get prompted to insert an installation CD. My name is Joe Sixpack, and I'm a dumbass."

Give it a rest, Apple...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The commercials for Coors Light that they run constantly during football games are supremely annoying, "I like XXX, XXXX, XXXX and the twiiiiiiins" Ugh!

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I am a big Mac fan, but I gotta admit I cringe at all of their recent commercials. Especially the' switch' ad campaign. Is claiming to have saved Christmas because you successfully plugged in a digital camera really going to make someone run out and buy an iMac? Don't think so!

Pieter

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
The worst are the locally made small town commercials. And the worst of the worst are the ones that have their own song or jingle. Your phone number should not be part of the song. Anyone in a small city knows the horrors that I'm talking about.

jeremy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The commercials for Coors Light that they run constantly during football games are supremely annoying, "I like XXX, XXXX, XXXX and the twiiiiiiins" Ugh!
This also annoys the hell out of me. This ad was designed for the lowest common denominator in America, guys who get drunk all the time, belch in public, make offending remarks to girls on the street and watch pan & scan DVDs.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Paul, you're right in that the same people who make the product aren't making the commercials, but you miss a couple of facts:

1.) People who make commercials WORK FOR people who make the products.

2.) And as such, the people who make the products can reject a commercial/campaign if they don't approve.

So, yes, the people who make the products ARE responsible for their annoying commercials. When I produced commercials for radio, we always had to get client approval of the script, and usually approval of the final production before it aired.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
The people who actually make and design the products have zero to no control over who it's marketed. Rather, it's some marketing executive who tells them how it's going to be done.

I've lost count of the number of projects I've worked on that were rushed out the door or otherwise hindered by the dictates of marketing.

I guess my point is that I try not to let commericials sway my purchasing choices one way or the other.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Ford Focus in 2000.
Shortly after that, they had those commercials where they parked in a tight spot and climbed out of the back.
After that, people kept asking me, "So, do you, like, climb out the back?"
Yes, that's what I do, because they did it on The TV, so therefore I must do it and that's why I bought the freakin' car. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks