What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Robert gifted it to himself in iTunes because he already had the HDX version both in iTunes and MA. I did not have the title in my streaming library at all, so the 4K version was the first time it went to Movies Anywhere. It's the convoluted world of digital streaming and Movies Anywhere at work once more..

When I did the same with other titles my MA version upgraded accordingly. When you gift it to yourself, it's still your account that is connected to MA making the purchase.

I totally agree the convoluted world of digital streaming and Movies Anywhere is the problem we are all dealing with here...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It still shows as 4K in my Movies Anywhere account.

I am not going to ask for a refund. Apple will upgrade it again to 4K in October (if not sooner), and I doubt it will drop below the $7.99 price again for a long time.
I would play it to make sure as showing as 4K and actually playing in 4K are two different things.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still haven't got around to installing the Movies Anywhere app on my Apple TV 4K. I guess this may be the incentive I need. ;)
I'm just saying Scott that I don't trust their 4K designates as I've been fool by them beforehand when a title shows that, but plays in HD.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm just saying Scott that I don't trust their 4K designates as I've been fool by them beforehand when a title shows that, but plays in HD.
That's how I understood your comment, Robert. I just meant I need to install the MA app just to check out how it plays, as I have never had a need to play anything directly via MA as yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's how I understood your comment, Robert. I just meant I need to install the MA app just to check out how it plays, as I have never had a need to play anything directly via MA as yet.
Understood and I would install it, even though, you might not use MA very often.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Understood and I would install it, even though, you might not use MA very often.
Just installed the app. MA indicates I own the 4K version, but under the "play movie" button there is a statement that this film is currently unavailable to play in 4K.

Well, at least MA recognizes that I bought the 4K version.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What a PITA. Netflix started streaming TWELVE years ago, in 2007. Maybe by 2029 the industry will get it all figured out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
What a PITA. Netflix started streaming TWELVE years ago, in 2007. Maybe by 2029 the industry will get it all figured out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Every format has always had and always will have its issues. Right now there are threads of people having discs that won't play after a couple of years or people having to wait a long time to get their copy of The Thin Man to ship. It's good to be aware of these problems when they come up but nothing will ever be perfect.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Every format has always had and always will have its issues. Right now there are threads of people having discs that won't play after a couple of years or people having to wait a long time to get their copy of The Thin Man to ship. It's good to be aware of these problems when they come up but nothing will ever be perfect.

Technical issues will always be with us, but the root cause of this isn't a technical issue.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert gifted it to himself in iTunes because he already had the HDX version both in iTunes and MA. I did not have the title in my streaming library at all, so the 4K version was the first time it went to Movies Anywhere. It's the convoluted world of digital streaming and Movies Anywhere at work once more..

When I did the same with other titles my MA version upgraded accordingly. When you gift it to yourself, it's still your account that is connected to MA making the purchase.

I totally agree the convoluted world of digital streaming and Movies Anywhere is the problem we are all dealing with here...
I agree. I've done the gift-it-to-yourself trick several times, and while it successfully upgrades my iTunes copy to 4K, Movies Anywhere still stays HD for me. After searching answers on the internet I found that this is typical behavior, most likely a glitch. First time purchases normally import correctly if they are 4K at the time of purchase.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I agree. I've done the gift-it-to-yourself trick several times, and while it successfully upgrades my iTunes copy to 4K, Movies Anywhere still stays HD for me. After searching answers on the internet I found that this is typical behavior, most likely a glitch. First time purchases normally import correctly if they are 4K at the time of purchase.
Is it me or is the 4K stream back? Apple TV said 4K all along even when it reverted to HD, but to my eyes it looks like it’s streaming in 4K again.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To make sure this is clear - what the movie's main screen says for resolution is NOT the resolution you are playing. That is seen when playing the movie.

The Wizard of Oz shows 4K DV on the main screen but is not currently playing 4K.

Here is what it looks like (tvOS 13):

(You will have to zoom in to see resolution)

4531865F-500D-4854-98C2-7C66AE34FA14.jpeg 8A5A01BE-937A-4377-AED6-EAC51E3114B1.jpeg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
To make sure this is clear - what the movie's main screen says for resolution is NOT the resolution you are playing. That is seen when playing the movie.

The Wizard of Oz shows 4K DV on the main screen but is not currently playing 4K.

Here is what it looks like (tvOS 13):

(You will have to zoom in to see resolution)

View attachment 61854 View attachment 61855

Those are not good screen grabs. The first looks just like every photo we've seen by now from this film. The second one has Dorothy ghosting.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Those are not good screen grabs. The first looks just like every photo we've seen by now from this film. The second one has Dorothy ghosting.

They're pictures taken of my TV with my phone only meant to show what resolution is listed in the menu, not picture quality.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
They're pictures taken of my TV with my phone only meant to show the listed resolution, not picture quality.
I can’t believe you actually had to explain that. It’s obvious that’s what you were doing Cranston. Jeez.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks