What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (2 Viewers)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
On the subject of the disc release -- what's the thinking, guesses, speculation on the sound format?
Mono and 5.1? Mono and Atmos? Some other combination?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is just people trying to prove how smart and expert they are on any given subject which is what the internet is all about. What we need is an announcement from Warner Brothers to get the subject back to the disc.
Rather harsh, but until Warner makes an announcement there really isn't much to discuss right now.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Is "A" for Atmos?

How about the features? The stand-alone 75th Anniversary Blu-ray did not even include the outtakes which the 70th Anniversary had. So you had to buy a more deluxe version of the 75th in order to get stuff that had already been on a previous release that wasn't Deluxe.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
And I'm wondering if the UHD set will be one UHD disc and two Blu-rays. Will they put all the features on the Blu-ray where will the movie and the features be split across two blue rays?

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Both iTunes on my Mac and the listing on my Apple TV 4K are showing 'Wizard of Oz' being available only in HD as the max resolution. Neither one shows it available in 4K.

I do not own a digital copy of the film. The purchase price for the HD version has gone up to $14.99. At $7.99 I'd buy it to see if it was in 4K once purchased. But not for $14.99, I'll wait for the 4K Blu-ray.

Mark

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
He was referring to the official red carpet type premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater. Not the previews they did in a few places elsewhere. But thanks for pointing those out very interesting

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Both iTunes on my Mac and the listing on my Apple TV 4K are showing 'Wizard of Oz' being available only in HD as the max resolution. Neither one shows it available in 4K.

I do not own a digital copy of the film. The purchase price for the HD version has gone up to $14.99. At $7.99 I'd buy it to see if it was in 4K once purchased. But not for $14.99, I'll wait for the 4K Blu-ray.

Mark

The 4K version was pulled. It's only HD now.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm a bit curious as to whether THE WIZARD OF OZ (1925) silent feature might finally get a proper HD release, instead of the awful looking stair step SD port over transfer treatment that it got on the previous Blu-ray releases. I've kept the 3 disc WOZ 2005 DVD set in part because the above title actually looks better on that release!

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This silent version is such a turkey, that it is only improved by a poor copy!
I'll grant you it's no classic, but it might as well be made to look as good as feasible, even if that means sticking with the DVD format to avoid the stair step effect.

I have a different DVD release of the 1925 WOZ silent that plays at 90 minutes (Slower frame rate!), instead of the 72 minute running time on the WOZ sets, PLUS baked in story telling audio narrated by a former '70s era softcore adult actress, so it COULD be worse! :D

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks