What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I meant all that I care about is the movie -- not that I was concerned it would be messed up.

This is was one of my top 5 titles I wanted on UHD. Bring on Spartacus and West Side Story.

With Spielberg's upcoming theatrical revision I would highly guess that West Side Story is in the works for 4k.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and anything that appears on Amazon is worthless. You can't get Warner product from them on time anymore.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amen, brother.

I figure to take ownership of The Thin Man from Amazon sometime around 2034 (in time for its 100th anniversary).

Hahaha! Yeah, I had to cancel my Amazon order of TTM and buy it from BestBuy.

However, BestBuy doesn't get all the WAC titles. They didn't have Prisoner of Second Avenue or Wagon Master. Had to go to Deep Discount for those. Deep Discount is okay, but their standard shipping takes a good week to get to you.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I don't know why you're concern about the disc as there is no way that Warner screws up this "crown jewel" movie.

I'm sure they won't. But I just can't go back to 2D for this on any format. The 3D edition was like being 5 yrs old and seeing it for the very first time. Better than the 1080p in both detail & color. Doubt I'll ever opt for viewing a flat version again.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The cover art for this upcoming edition is awful, it looks like WB were trying to to go for a comic book look, something like that jumbo comic book both Marvel and DC collaborated together on in the 1970's.

91MpgbHmD0L._SL1500_.jpg

66667c2359c643b103afb20f78f3dc6f.jpg

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I believe that Turner actually extended the Wizard of Oz on CBS deal in exchange for Turner getting 'Gone With The Wind" back sooner. CBS signed a 20 year deal with MGM to broadcast "Gone With The Wind" in 1978.
Turner wanted it back to launch TNT in 1988 and TCM in 1994. So CBS gave up TV rights to "Gone With The Wind" for more "Wizard of Oz" . "The Wizard of Oz " was last broadcast on CBS in 1998.

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/04/06/...-for-tv-for-35-million-seventh-on-rental.html
Clam Gable? :

The 1939 M‐G.M film with Clam Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and Olivia de Havilland, will probably be shown in the fall for the first of the 20 appearances permitted wider the contract

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The cover art for this upcoming edition is awful, it looks like WB were trying to to go for a comic book look, something like that jumbo comic book both Marvel and DC collaborated together on in the 1970's.

91MpgbHmD0L._SL1500_.jpg

66667c2359c643b103afb20f78f3dc6f.jpg
I don't know what the Wicked Witch is doing flying over Kansas but I don't think it is so bad. It references the Black and White and Technicolor aspects of the film and the tornado. It actually has a lot of the film in one picture. Dorothy and her friends are from a photograph, not a drawing. Only major character missing is the Wizard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what the Wicked Witch is doing flying over Kansas but I don't think it is so bad. It references the Black and White and Technicolor aspects of the film and the tornado. It actually has a lot of the film in one picture. Dorothy and her friends are from a photograph, not a drawing. Only major character missing is the Wizard.
There is a brief scene in which the Wicked Witch is flying in the tornado in black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks