What's new

The Westerner release on DVD (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Richard for that information...it's wonderful that Shout gathered those Peckinpah scholars and devotees in contributing their analysis and appreciation of The Westerner...the show is worthy of a deluxe treatment and Shout has done us the honor of doing that...and at a bargain price too...I was thrilled with Shout's complete series of The Loner, which was brilliantly done... really looking forward to this, and whatever other gems they might have in the pipeline...hopefully, Black Saddle and Trackdown...and the rest of the Defenders, of course...

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I'me certai to buy it at my local Wal-Mart if they have it available. A while ago I watched a couple of episodes o YouTube and they were very good. In fact, very similar in tone -very dark- to The Loner.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Episode 4 - Mrs. Kennedy

What a different , dark story. Dave rides into a tempest, no happy ending here. Good drama.

Such a change of pace from the Burgundy Smith episode right before it. Pretty good character showcase for Brian Keith and John Dehner amidst all the comedy beats.

I'm really enjoying Brown (played by Old Yeller).

I'm really finding this a very enjoyable series.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I'm really finding this a very enjoyable series.

It was ahead of its time, and NBC did it no favors by programming it against The Flintstones and Route 66.

NBC premiered three new series on Friday nights in 1960 - Dan Raven, The Westerner, and Michael Shayne, and only Michael Shayne survived for an entire season. The Friday night competition was very stiff - Rawhide, The Flintstones, Route 66, 77 Sunset Strip, and The Twilight Zone. The new NBC shows never had a chance.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Boy, I wish Walmart Canada carried these "exclusives"...though I have it complete on DVD-R, not having the new Shout release and right now is killing me...I'm delicate that way, ha, ha...I might have to mount a winter expedition to Havre or Great Falls Montana soon...or just settle down and wait 90 days...

When I first saw The Westerner in the '90s on Canada's Westerns channel, it blew me away as it was head and shoulders above it's syndicated package stablemates, Johnny Ringo and Law of the Plainsman...only Black Saddle (of the same 1959 - 60 Four Star Fox syndication pkg. "The Westerners") compared to it...when I discovered this fine show only had a 13 episode run in the fall of 1960, I thought "What the Hell?"...that's when I discovered the unfortunate scheduling context (that Richard refers to above) The Westerner had been thrown into...the fast company of The Flintstones and Route 66...and having another new show that was also trying to find it's own audience as a lead in - Skip Homeire's Jazz Club Cop Show Dan Raven...perhaps a kinder fate had The Westerner been on another night, and a later time slot also...

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just finished watching the pilot episode, "Trouble at Tres Cruces" from Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater. The episode looks very good. So surprising to see so many commentaries on this set. Great information about the series, locations and Sam Peckinpah.

I almost cancelled this order, so glad I didn't. This has been a hidden treasure series. Wonderful show. Great introductory episode for this series.

Nice to see Neville Brand as the guest villian, did not know he did much television, at least not that I have seen. I have been pleasantly surprised by this set.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just finished watching the pilot episode, "Trouble at Tres Cruces" from Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater. The episode looks very good. So surprising to see so many commentaries on this set. Great information about the series, locations and Sam Peckinpah.

I almost cancelled this order, so glad I didn't. This has been a hidden treasure series. Wonderful show. Great introductory episode for this series.

Nice to see Neville Brand as the guest villian, did not know he did much television, at least not that I have seen. I have been pleasantly surprised by this set.

Doug, Neville Brand did quite a bit of television throughout the 50s and 60s (mostly guest parts in westerns and anthology series), including playing Al Capone on THE UNTOUCHABLES and one of the leads in LAREDO (1965-1967). He also has a fun guest star turn in one of the better episodes of Ron Ely's TARZAN.

Enjoying your episode-by-episode reviews, BTW - keep 'em coming!

Can't wait to get this release, I've only watched a few episodes of THE WESTERNER and found it charmingly offbeat and well-written. Will have to order this from Walmart online and pick it up when I'm back in the States this summer.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Doug, not to answer for Dan, but I think I would echo his likely praise for the Great Will Penny...in his later years, Charlton Heston said it was one of his favorite films...it's certainly one of my favorite Westerns...Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Bruce Dern...and "introducing" Lee Majors...great story (as apparently derived from "Line Camp"), Great direction by Tom Gries, Great scenery of Indio National Forest, Great David Raksin music and catchy closing song sung by Don Cherry...I do go on...I wish it was on blu, but the Paramount widescreen DVD looks great...

I haven't heard the commentaries on the new The Westerner dvd set yet, as I don't have it...but in past years I can remember some Peckinpah scholar saying that some of his later feature films (like The Ballad of Cable Hogue) were also somewhat inspired from the unfinished creative inspiration of his short lived series The Westerner...some elements from "The Painting", "Treasure" and "School Days" etc...Peckinpah (and Tom Gries) seemed to have unfinished business that came out of The Westerner, that they later pursued when they both had greater creative control...

I'm amazed at the great writing and acting in episodes like "Line Camp", "Treasure", "Jeff", "Old Man", "Hand on the Gun" etc...so much first rate drama, and daring downbeat endings...interspersed with the lighter Burgundy Smith episodes...considering the rather tragic character of Blassingame, and Brian Keith's beautiful acting in conveying that sombre essence,...I'm glad they leave him with some hope and perhaps joy on the horizon..."The Painting" with the lovely Madelyn Rhue...phenomenal series..."Brown" has got to be one of the all time Great Movie Dogs too!

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Doug, not to answer for Dan, but I think I would echo his likely praise for the Great Will Penny...in his later years, Charlton Heston said it was one of his favorite films...it's certainly one of my favorite Westerns...Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Bruce Dern...and "introducing" Lee Majors...great story (as apparently derived from "Line Camp"), Great direction by Tom Gries, Great scenery of Indio National Forest, Great David Raksin music and catchy closing song sung by Don Cherry...I do go on...I wish it was on blu, but the Paramount widescreen DVD looks great...

Will Penny is very good, as Randall so aptly stated. Great for Heston and Joan Hackett fans, for sure. Pleasence has one of my favorite entrances at one point in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks