What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (2 Viewers)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Chris,

What are the odds of Anthem giving us trade up options on our AVM20's for the "Director" or whatever it'll be called?

Is the AVM too new for them to consider it? I suppose the "Director" isn't considered a replacement either. Just a step up?
I think that the "Director" would be considered a step up. At this point in time, there isn't a reason to replace the AVM-20 as nothing really new has been released that it can't handle. The only hardware upgrade on the horizon is Firewire, and the AVM-20 has a cutout on the back panel and an internal slot for an add-on card, so it may be ready even for Firewire (at an upgrade cost).

The concept of a trade-in program for the Director would be a new one for Anthem/Paradigm. I am not sure they would do it. Most companies don't. Lexicon is the main exception, and they have been doing the trade-in programs for years. Usually the trade-in programs require a "willing" dealer network, something that Lexicon has, but I am not sure that Anthem does.

Michael

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't realize that there were trade-up options for anything other than Lexicon products, if that's true for the Aragon Stage One and the ACT3. What would they be trading up to?

I'm hoping the upgrade is soon. There have been lots of rumors and innuendo here and other places alluding to what is coming for us. Personally, I like what I have and can only hope for wonderful enhancements. I would not trade my Anthem for another piece of gear at this point. well, if a Casablanca fully loaded was dangled in front of me for free, I might. But the performance and features are there, right now with the Anthem, so why change?

I'm not looking for anything bad to discuss. I recall lots of positive discussions here too. We're sharing our joy for what we own. I personally hope there isn't anything bad to discuss whenever this upgrade finally does occur. I'm impatient like most others and want it now, of course, but I'll wait and in the meantime, enjoy what I have. And then wonder if there will be a hardware upgrade using that slot in the back. Hey, this is America, we want it all, you know.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
JimmyK,
I was actually prodding Randy because his comments seemed to imply he knew what was coming.
Randy? :)
Michael

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Michael?

I may be wrong (nothing new there), but I seem to recall you mentioning some time ago about the possibility of an upgrade. And others, too. But I don't really feel like going over this whole thread again to find those references. It has been a rolling topic here, though. Ha!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Randy,

Yeah, we did speculate a lot about a possible upgrade to the AVM-20's software. Most of these suggestions came from owners and potential owners in emails to Anthem.

Craig,

What specific features or changes do you wish were added to the AVM-20?

Michael

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I have no idea. It seems to work just fine... except for the weird electronic noise I experienced when navigating the Test Tone menu. edit: for clarification, I'm not talking about the test tone itself, 'cause I suppose it could be described as a weird electronic noise (hehe), I'm talking about a weird crackling/static noise that occurred as I attempted to exit the menu.

I was just curious what "new features" could possibly be added through software.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brain Florian (audio reviewer extrodinair) post a few pages back about upgrades coming? When he was questioned how he knew he just said you'll be happy or something like that? Don't quote me and don't rip me apart if I'm wrong. Just hope that he's right and they include spkr. config. by source!

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Could Anthem include a parametric EQ in a software upgrade? Or would adding that kind of EQ require some new hardware, too?
-Erik

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see the Anthem thread is still alive and strong. I was without my Anthem for 5 weeks while it was sent back for a fix of my DSP board. Fortunately, I was out on vacation for 3 of those weeks, but the week without it when I got back was almost unbearable. No movies, no music, my amps, DVD player and speakers sat silent for 5 weeks. UGH!!! Anyway, Frank and Sonic Frontiers kept me up to date on the progress and gave me the tracking numbers so I knew when to call my dealer. FedEx totally ruined my box but the Anthem is back home with v.2.09 loaded and sounding great. I can't say enough about the customer service at SF. I also can't see a need to upgrade or purchase a different processor and will be happy with the Anthem for a long time. Back to work now and happy listening.

Mike

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Did you guys know that fraternity brothers across the country haze prospective pledges by forcing them to read this entire thread beginning with post #1. It's true:D

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Erik,
Could Anthem include a parametric EQ in a software upgrade? Or would adding that kind of EQ require some new hardware, too?
There is not enough processor capability to implement parametric EQ in the AVM-20, if you are using the Pioneer Elite receivers and the Krell HTS-7.1 as your basis for comparison.
The "Director" processor, if it ever gets released, may have the horsepower (dual Motorola processors) to include parametric EQ. The AVM-20 v2.09 is close to being maxed out, and any release of v2.10 will certainly utilize what little space is left.
Mike,
Glad to see you got your AVM-20 back. :)
Michael

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Hi Guys,
I am now according to Nick allowed to speak as a LUCK MF'er Beta tester of V2.1 to be released soon. Let me just say that Nick and crew have done a fantastic job. They listened to our requests and did some really cool sh!t! When I installed my first update I thought I had a totally new pre/pro in the way setup works. It is fantastic and I think you will all love it. Here are a few of the items in the upgrade:
Auto-Digital Input Sensing by Source
Goes to digital input first, if no signal is present then automatically switches to analog input.
• Multiple Component-Input Assignment
Component inputs can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
• Multiple Digital-Input Assignment
Digital inputs (RCA, TOS, AES/EBU) can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
• 6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option
• Duplicate Surround/Rear Output Option
• Digital Output Dithered whenever A to D is set to 16 bit.
Setup Menu Additions and Changes
• Separate Cinema and Music Speaker Configurations, assignable to each source.
• Auto-LFE Option determines Cinema/Music speaker configuration based on presence of LFE.
• Room Resonance Filter to remove primary in-room bass standing-wave. (very Cool)
• LFE Crossover Bypass recovers LFE information above subwoofer crossover setting.
• Source Presets allow user definable mode presets for each source.
• Source Setup defines operation parameters in one submenu for each source.
This should spur some conversation!
I will be back later tonight to see what's up!
Marc

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Marc,
Now that you have let the cat out of the bag (heaven help Anthem now!;)), care to start a new thread for the AVM-20 v2.1? :D
I suppose we could continue along with this thread, but there are quite a few changes in v2.10 that any detailed discussion will get lost here.
Michael
Edit: Previous discussions have indicated that most people would want a new thread for v2.1, but is that still the case now?

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Marc,

I agree with the Michael and Wayne. I think you or Michael should start the new thread.

Cheers,
Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks