What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Here it is. After the 58 page v2.0 thread, the new software update is just a couple of weeks away. Here is a list of the new features:
Input / Output Changes
• Auto-Digital Input Sensing by Source
Goes to digital input first, if no signal is present then automatically switches to analog input.
• Multiple Component-Input Assignment
Component inputs can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
• Multiple Digital-Input Assignment
Digital inputs (RCA, TOS, AES/EBU) can be assigned to any source, including multiple sources.
• 6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option
• Duplicate Surround/Rear Output Option
• Digital Output Dithered whenever A to D is set to 16 bit.
Setup Menu Additions and Changes
• Separate Cinema and Music Speaker Configurations, assignable to each source.
• Auto-LFE Option determines Cinema/Music speaker configuration based on presence of LFE.
• Room Resonance Filter to remove primary in-room bass standing-wave.
• LFE Crossover Bypass recovers LFE information above subwoofer crossover setting.
• Source Presets allow user definable mode presets for each source.
• Source Setup defines operation parameters in one submenu for each source.
• Adjustable Mute Level allows different mute level settings or silent.
Operational Changes
• FM and AM Preset Banks only scan through their respective presets. ---
• Stereo / High Blend / Mono setting is memorized individually to each FM preset.
• Unused FM/AM Presets are skipped when tuned to 87.5(FM) and 530(AM).
• Individual Speaker Levels are memorized by Mode.
• Super Subwoofer modified so LFE goes to subwoofer only.
• Dynamics Reset to Normal whenever Main Power is turned Off/On.
• PLII-Movie:Auto/Off allows ProLogic II-Movie to be automatically engaged or overridden
for Dolby Digital-2.0 program material that contains the ProLogic flag.
• Direct Access Codes for modes, adjustments, and tuner banks 6.9 Appendix A
• Audio Group Delay direct access allows for visual audio delay alignment.
• Factory Default 2-Ch Mode set to AnthemLogic-Cinema for all video sources (plus AUX) and
AnthemLogic-Music for all audio sources.
• Remote Control Volume Speed increased for more responsive operation. ---
• Dashes in Hour Column of timers menu allows a specific timer to be skipped.
• Bit Rate / Sample Rate Status Indicator (in status cycle). Displays PCM, Dolby Digital and 5.10
DTS sample rates as applicable.
Custom Installation
• Fixed Output Option for Z2 and Z3
• New v2.1 Serial Command List (available on Custom section of website) includes many
additional new commands relevant to mode preset/selection.
• Front Panel Buttons Lockout (for most buttons) enabled through serial command. Serial Command List
• Serial Feedback for serial discrete volume command. Serial Command List
• TATU, TATD, TFTU, TFTD serial commands to allow FM/AM tuning up/down without Serial Command List
addressing a specific frequency.
Manual Section
Official announcement should be 8/1.
Lets see how many pages we can get this one up to!
Marc

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I would like to be one of the first to congratulate both Anthem & the Anthem owners.
Looking over the list of features, I see many here that the B&K owners have been raving about for a long time, Myself included. This is a huge leap in flexibility to the AVM-20
I'm sure all owners will rejoice once the update is made available.
Congratulations to all ;)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Marc for the long list. While no new surround modes were added to v2.1 (i.e. DPL II), it seems like the software changed more for v2.1 than it did for v2.0. There is a little bit of something for everyone in this upgrade, so we will be spending a lot of time on this thread! :)

One item that wasn't listed by Anthem as a "feature" is the fact that the setup menu structure has been reordered. Certain menus will look similar to those in v2.0x, but IMO the ordering is a lot easier to follow, despite adding a lot of new setup options.

Just to complete the circle, here is the link to the AVM-20 v2.0 thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=93545

Off to work, more on this later.

Michael

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
This upgrade truly makes the Anthem a wonder. The things they have done at the software level are amazing. The folks at Anthem really do listen to what we have to say. That is a rare thing in this day and age.

Mike Koch

Grip
I hope that there will be a revised manual for those of us who are a little slow to catch on. I think the new thread is great and will save a lot of time. I am a former owner of the Sony tae9000es and there was a great forum devoted just to that unit. I wish that would happen for the Anthem.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Well, a new day and new thread. It's fitting for all of the changes and new features becoming available for the AVM20. We had a good run on the other forum, I hope this one does as well.

I appreciate the new menu structuring. It seems to flow much better than before, more concise in breadth of choices. I like all of the new features offered, well, except for the super fast volume ramp-up. I see lot's of blown drivers down the line from accidentally too high volume from this.

Thanks for starting this, Marc. I look forward to all the comments and new people that will join us here. And I know there will be lots of new people after news of this upgrade gets out.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to list the upgrades. This should be an interesting thread/buzz when the upgrade is available to the general public.

The Anthem for me has performed flawlessly with a few bumps along the road, but has met all my expectations. The new software will be like a complete upgrade as you suggest.

Looking forward to it!!

Charles

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

There will be a revised manual available when the upgrade comes out. Are you looking for an entire forum or a thread for the Anthem, such as the one we are posting on?

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
I know I've said it before, but I've just got to say it again......I LOVE MY ANTHEM!!!

Randy, the super fast volume control was a surprise, but with some practice, or for new AVM owners, it's also easy to get used to. Besides, it's not as "fast" as the super fast volume problem I had in the past [see the old thread] (which by the way was rectified super fast by Anthem).

With all the new features, this is like getting a whole new pre-pro all over again!

I REALLY DO LOVE MY ANTHEM!!!

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Pro,

I am getting used to it, but I did suffer one blown sub driver a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, I keep extra drivers because of the high power in use. I'm much better and more judicious in my handling of that now. We're all out of the receiver level of power here and use real high power gear. That's what concerns me because of my mistake. Ever vigilant now, though.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I like all of the new features offered, well, except for the super fast volume ramp-up. I see lot's of blown drivers down the line from accidentally too high volume from this.
Maybe they can incorporate a max volume setting for all zones as their competition has done.
It's nice to lag on the Volume + button & have it stop at your safe max level.
Also if the preset modes work well, maybe you will find that this will not be as much of a problem if you can predefine a setting & go right to that given volume level.
This list of features brings the things that people really want & need. Bravo to ANTHEM. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Maybe they can incorporate a max volume setting for all zones as their competition has done.
It already does, has since v1.x. It is the speed with which the volume would ramp up that was the issue. At least Anthem implemented a "slow down" when the volume reached -5.0dB as a safety precaution.

In my many auditions of receivers and processors over the last 3 years, I have encountered volume controls that were faster than the current one in the v2.10 software. A new AVM-20 owner might not be aware, as they would be learning the system from scratch. It is us "old-timers" that had to be re-educated! ;)

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

I am a former owner of the Sony tae9000es and there was a great forum devoted just to that unit. I wish that would happen for the Anthem.
We tried to do just that several months ago, with a dedicated Anthem forum on HTG (HTGuide). The general consensus was most people didn't want to leave HTF (and to some extent AVS) just to post about Anthem.

I am certain that HTG would be more than happy to give Anthem owners another shot at their own forum, but I am not sure whether people would go there. I must admit, I like the appeal of being able to post separate topics to discuss, rather than one large thread. But I suppose we will make do! ;)

Michael

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Michael,
Thanks for clarifying my statement about the max volume level. It was not an intentional error.
I understand how horrible that some fast volumes can be without a safety feature. I also have a Denon AVR-5700
That volume level smokes up & down in speed.
I can say I really hate this.
-Jerry

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I really wish there was a forum dedicated to Anthem products instead of a never ending monster thread to go through... Took me hours to surf the last 2.0 thread!

Anxious to get the new version!

Anthem really knows how to improve an already awesome product.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Geez, now I'm old at something else. I am adjusting to the volume. I don't believe a unilateral cap or preset level would do though, since lots of discs and other program are recorded at significantly different levels, and besides, our own preferences are different. I guess I should admit that I am one prone to playing it loud. Comes from mixing live stuff, I think. I like to not just hear and see it but be enveloped by it, totally. So, I'll just continue to stock drivers and figure I'm not going to change my habits at this point in my life.

Newcomers won't be affected at all since they have no prior experience with the older software. Hey this is a minor issue overall. But it's already sparked a number of posts. Seems like we were all dieing(sp?) to talk about the Anthem again.

I also have a Pioneer low line receiver that has an incredibly speedy volume control on it. I've learned to deal with that, but then I don't play that system like I do the one with the Anthem.

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Bliss!

This upgrade will now provide the few things I miss about my old B&K Ref 30: preset modes for each input, selectable speaker configuration for each input, and auto signal sensing (very useful for the LD, with the coax DD, optical DPL, and analog for commentary).

The other features look to be extremely cool as well.

Can't wait!
Thanks for the great news (and new thread).

Scott

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
• Individual Speaker Levels are memorized by Mode.
Does this mean that when playing CDs (via digital connection) that I can have one sub level for 'stereo' and a different sub level for 'Anthem logic music', and still another sub level for 'Prologic II music'?

With v2.09, all the music modes share the same memory for channel levels (including sub level).

Also, for those of you who seem to already have v2.10, have you noticed any bugs?

I'm inclined to wait until many of you have assured me that the bugs have been worked out.:D

JimmyK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Scott,

This upgrade will now provide the few things I miss about my old B&K Ref 30: preset modes for each input, selectable speaker configuration for each input, and auto signal sensing (very useful for the LD, with the coax DD, optical DPL, and analog for commentary).
Well, I am not sure that v2.10 is the complete answer for your desires.

Just so everyone understands, the preset modes for each input has to do with the selection of the default DSP mode for 2 channel and DD2.0 inputs (you can select "use last mode"), and the THX settings for DD, DTS, DD-EX and DTS-ES.

The v2.10 software will allow you to define two separate speaker configurations, one called "Cinema" and the other called "Music". The speaker selections and crossovers can be different for these two configurations. You can then assign "Cinema" or "Music" to each input, with one additional caveat.

You can also define an input a configuration of "Auto LFE". What this will do is select the "Cinema" configuration if an LFE (.1) channel is present in the source, or the "Music" configuration is no LFE channel is present.

As far as your idea for an LD player, the auto mode is suppose to work for a single digital input and a single analog input. You will not be able to combine two separate digital inputs and have the AVM-20 auto-detect between the two of them. Unless I misread your suggestion, you may be out of luck.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks