What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Daniel,

Just to follow up the issue you had initially trying to install v2.09 on the AVM-20, I decided to execute the v2.09 installer on my PC, but with no serial cable connection to the AVM-20. Sure enough, I saw the same message "unable to locate Avm 2/20 statement D1 on any serial port. Check cable connection and" as you did.

Odd that I never noticed it before, as I have had issues installing the software a couple of times. There must be some part of their installer software that is generic to the AVM-2, AVM-20 and the prototype D1.

Michael

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Whew! Just caught up on over 7 months of posts in this thread. I still have the version 1 hardware, but I may be inclined to finally upgrade, as I've dealt with other items on my list that had higher priority.

Question: Has anyone noticed a change in analog direct quality with the upgrade to version 2? At first glance, one would think that such a mode would be left unimpacted, but one never knows. All of my music listening is done via analog direct.

Thanks.

Doug

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Question: Has anyone noticed a change in analog direct quality with the upgrade to version 2? At first glance, one would think that such a mode would be left unimpacted, but one never knows. All of my music listening is done via analog direct.
Analog direct for everything and you should hear no difference. There are some who I have heard think version 2.X sounds better when digitizing inside the AVM, but for me, if there is an improvement, it's slight.

I would think you shouldn't hear a difference Doug between version 1.X and 2.X in analog direct...at least I didn't from what I remember.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I recently upgraded from a Pioneer Elite receiver to the AVM-20 and am thrilled with the improvement! Now if I could find a "Readers Digest" version of this thread....;)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Frank,
I recently upgraded from a Pioneer Elite receiver to the AVM-20 and am thrilled with the improvement! Now if I could find a "Readers Digest" version of this thread....;)
Good luck with the AVM-20. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as do most of the posters on this thread. The good news about this thread is there's a lot of history. The bad news about this thread is there's a lot of history! There was an attempt to have a separate Anthem forum elsewhere, so that individual topics could be posted, but it didn't pick up much momentum.
In short, make sure that you have the v2.09 software installed. This version is quite stable and addresses nearly every problem that was discussed in this thread. If you have any additional questions, just ask. While it would be easy for me just to say "do a search", the usefulness of this thread decreases the longer it gets.
Happy listening! :)
Michael

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Frank.

It could be interesting to post your opinion, or a small comparison between the Pio Elite and the Anthem. It would interest alot of people, I think. If you have the time, could you just post what are, for you, the biggest differences between both units?

I know it's sound absurb, but for me, the biggest difference I hear going from the Rotel RSP-1066 to the Anthem AVM20 is when I listen to normal "stereo" TV-programming in Anthem Logic Cinema. Imagine my wife jumpin when a door is bang in her favorite soap, or reachin for the phone when it's ringin in the TV!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Levesque, even though the avm 20 is an improvement over most receivers its not really fair to compare a 2 or 3 year old flagship(37tx) reciever to a cutting edge pre pro. I have a 49tx with a parasound 2205 amp that is fairly comparable to the anthem but I do admit the anthem has better sound quality, although I use a lot of the features of the 49tx, video up conversion, and mcacc is a great feature. the bottom line is the pioneer with the parasound sounds great to me, but not worth loosing money to upgrade just yet. I am looking closely at anthems new offerings that should be exiting:D
Bob

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I Agree that comparing the Anthem to my "Old" receiver;) is a bit unfair. The AVM-20 does in fact outperform the -37tx in so many ways that it would take a long time to list them all. I can say that the AVM-20's setup options are far more versatile than the PE, but we all knew that already. Sound quality is first rate and not as a harsh or bright as the PE. To my ears the AVM has a warmer sound and the lower frequencies are not as muddy as the PE. The imaging (sound stage) has really opened up considerably as well. I have not had the time yet to really play around with all of the various DPL modes, or the huge variety of configuration/setup options, but I am looking forward to doing so. I always felt that the PE sounded fantastic (and I still do) but now I've got a piece gear that sounds even better!! I was a little concerned that my Outlaw amp might not be up to the task when coupled to the AVM, but I am happy to report that they both work extremely well together! I did have a PVA-7 connected to my PE for a couple of weeks, but I chose to go with the Outlaw because it provides more power into 4 ohms, and the price was much better.
I have been reading (and re-reading) some of the posts regarding the individual speaker crossover settings and have found the information to be very useful. I currently have my system set to "Super" and have set the crossover to correspond with frequency response of the various speakers in my HT. I 'm going to spend a lot of time tweaking and adjusting until I get it just right!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Sorry... Bob and Frank...

I tought Frank went from a 49tx to the Anthem...my mistake...

If someone could do a FAQ or a "short" version of this monster thread... it would make my day!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Frank, congrats. Its always nice to upgrade and to really benefit from the differences, I had a 36tx before the 49tx and I was blown away at the differences.
Levesque, don't be sorry man, I see how exited you have been with your new pre pro and believe me I have been following your upgrades over the past year;) and all I can imagine of what your face looks like with your new system is :D :D :D :D
Now for the rest of you wondering what Im doing butting in on this thread: well I am very impressed with how anthem has come to support you guys so much not to mention a great product, for my own reasons I chose the receiver/amp combo and I love it for now! but I am really looking forward to the new director, statement or whatever its name is then maybe Ill get to hang out here for real:D
Bob

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Frank and Levesque,
I just noticed all three of us became members the second and third week of march,2002:emoji_thumbsup:
I wonder who has spent more money on their ht since then? hmmm maybe Levesque?
Bob

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Bob.
It's funny you bring this up. I was shopping today for a Sony 40XBR800 AND a Grand Wega 60". Thinkin of buying both at the same time...or only the 40XBR800 and the Tosh LCoS 57 or 65" when it will come out in october... Tough choice between LCD and LCoS.
But buying the 40XBR800 next week for sure!:D :D :D
AND, I just bought a new house, and already drawing the plan to build a dedicated HT, in a 16'X 25' room... Bought the Anthem AVM20 3 weeks ago and a Bryston 4BSST 2 weeks ago. Will receive my Paradigm's V3 in exchange of my V2 next week...
The house is on a lake, so will buy a boat in 2 weeks (that cost ALOT more then my HT!!!)...and the wife wants all new furniture, everything new for the new house...
Good thing I decided to "retire" at the age of 33... :D :D :D

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I think someone here needs to start an "upgraded Levesque thread" it might have as many pages as this one:D
It sure sounds like your house is where the party is!
If you have not considered a front projector you may want to consider it the prices of the current pjs are dropping fast I am about to pull the trigger on a nec ht1000 dlp pj over on avs its popularity is simialr to the anthem here.
Nec just announced a $500 rebate on top of its already $3900 street price from $5500 list. Nothing beats an 8ft wide picture in hd:D
Bob

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to resurrect my old Laserdisc player while using as few interconnects as possible. The player only has component video out. Can I use a RCA to S-Video adapter to the AVM20 and use the AVM20 for switching. This way I can use the S-Video cable I already have run to my TV for using the setup menu. The AVM20 won't convert component to S-Video. It's getting awful quiet around this thread. Things will pick up when the update comes out. Thanks, Jason

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming you meant composite, not component video inputs. I'm also assuming that adapter will do the converting of signal to S-Video. Otherwise you will have to use a composite cable to the TV to see the lasers. Good luck. I use a Pioneer combo player to play my lasers and DVD's. Fortunately for me, it has all of the outputs I need. I bought it when my laserdisc player bit the dust so i could continue to enjoy my lasers. I hope you get it worked out and are able to view the discs.
So if you do use that adapter and it works, use the AVM20 for switching. I do. The bandwidth is all there for it.
It has been quiet around this house, hasn't it? I hope the upgrade is soon. I am thrilled at what it might entail.:D

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone ever read a comparison of the Anthem AVM 20 and the Stage One in a Magazine? I'm looking into purchasing one of these processors from a pure sound perspective. I was hoping to find the differences listed somewhere.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Ok, this is probably a dumb question or thought, so don't rip me apart and don't mis-quote me please.

What are the odds of Anthem giving us trade up options on our AVM20's for the "Director" or whatever it'll be called?

You know, kinda like they did with the ACT 3 and the Aragon Stage One, and the Lexicon stuff.

Is the AVM too new for them to consider it? I suppose the "Director" isn't considered a replacement either. Just a step up?

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks