What's new

The Thin Red Line Revelation (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I always loved the first trailer to Pearl Harbor, and I could never realize why...now I know...it's the friggen music from The Thin Red Line. On a further note...I can't believe that I had never seen Thin Red Line to this point...and I can't believe how damn good it is.

PS. What version should I buy? Regular, DTS, Fox War Classic...?? Thx.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"What version should I buy? Regular, DTS, Fox War Classic...??"
I'd recommend the Enhanced Widescreen DTS/DD version for sure. The Fox War Classic and the Regular version are the same (I have the latter since I don't have DTS yet).
Jason

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty damn partial to this movie myself, the performances are incredible, and I love war movies that try to say something about humanity, not just bomb fests and cheap gimmicks like Pearl Harbor. I think it had even more to say than Saving Private Ryan, though I love that film as well.
BTW, you may already know this, but The Thin Red Line is a remake of an older film by the same name.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah. I did know that it was a remake, but I've never seen (or heard) anything about the older version. Is it similar in it's scope of things...or more constrained like a typical war movie?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I know it wasn't used as a comparison or anything, but having "Pearl Harbor" and "The Thin Red Line" in the same sentence should be illegal. ;)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yah. I did know that it was a remake, but I've never seen (or heard) anything about the older version. Is it similar in it's scope of things...or more constrained like a typical war movie?
I haven't seen the original version but I'd wager that the films aren't all that similar. Malick's version is very much a Malick film, I think. If you've seen Badlands or Days of Heaven, it's got the same feel. (I'd say that it's not really a remake either since both films were based on a book.)
Speaking of the score, I love it too. I think it's the one really great score that Zimmer's done :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If you want to see an earlier version of Malick's The Thin Red Line, then I highly recommend 1967's Beach Red directed by Cornel Wilde. ( Turner Classic Movies broadcasts this title very infrequently. )
The similarities between the films in terms of their overall tone, and their approach to depicting the nature of war are very close. Beach Red is based upon a different literary work by another author. While I don't know if Malick has ever viewed this film, the similarities lead me to believe that he was influenced by this work.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks