The Song Remains the Same: How many audio tracks?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RaulR, Oct 3, 2004.

1. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

I have TSRtS on DVD and it only contains a Dolby Digital 2.0 audio track. However, this review says it contains --

• Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (English)
    •*PCM 2.0 Stereo (English)
    •*Analog 6.0 Surround (English)
    •*Analog 2.0 Stereo (English)

Is there another DVD I didn't know about? Or is DVD Verdict simply wrong?

2. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I will have to check my own, but its a DVD, so it can't have an analog track. Kind of leads me to question the review a bit.

Furthermore, I don't think you would find a DVD out there with both a PCM 2.0 and a DD 2.0. technically its possible, but it would be redundant.

Methinks this reviewer does not know much about DVD. BTW, the Amazon link lists it as DD 2.0, which is probably right. I don;t recall this one being 5.1.

BGL

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well I would have to ask the question: what is an "Analog 6.0 Surround" track? MLP? On a Video DVD? Sound's bogus to me.

Actually Music DVD's have this feature quite often, my Tenacious D Masterworks DVD has both 5.1 & 2.0 PCM for the concert and PCM sound for practically everything else.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I took a quick look at the box, and it indicates Dolby Digital Surround, which normally implies DD 2.0.

So from that perspective, it is consistent with the Amazon listing.

BGL

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Ahh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, yeah you are probably right.

7. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. [​IMG] I kinda thought that would be the answer, but you know how it is when something plants a doubt in your head.

The logical next question (to which I don't require an answer) is ... where on earth did DVD Verdict get that review disc?

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, I would be inclined to say that somehow the editing of the review got messed up rather than assume they actually have a disc that has the tracks mentioned.

It could be a boot, but still, ain't no way there is going to be an analog track on there, no matter where it was sourced.

But then again, I do tend to be a skeptic when I read something that is so obviously flawed.

Maybe you can drop them an e-mail and see what they have to say. Tell 'em that the a few members of the HTF call B.S. on their review based on technical inaccuracy[​IMG]

Putting all that aside, while I personally enjoy TSRTS, if you want some live Zeppelin, this is the one you want:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

BGL

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

.... where on earth did DVD Verdict get that review disc?

...I'd say they pulled it from their ass. It's a totally bogus review from a sound standpoint...the tracks he "reviewed" don't exist on any DVD of this title that I have ever heard of....and I still want to know what the hell an "analog 6.0 surround track" is?

I mean he really lays it on thick with bogus statements like this:

:hey, see? You know the 6.0 analog track is real since he had to scrounge more cables to hear it...[​IMG] ...trust me, it's a load of crap. Maybe it was an april fools joke or something.

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Another possibility is that he has the DVD-A of "How the West was Won".

Still no analog to be found, but that one probably has PCM 2.0, and both 6.0 DD (5.1 in other words) and 6.0 DVD-A. discliamer: I own that one on DVD-V, so I am speculating as to the track compliment of the DVD-A.

Maybe he is confused on several levels?

But then again I think Kevin has articulated the true origin of the disc!

BGL

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I thought of that too Brian L, but the DVD Verdict review is dated from 1999 and I believe the DVD-A of HTWWW was released in 03.

12. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

I've had that since the week of its release. [​IMG] It totally rocks.

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

"Maybe"? He reviews a DVD with a form of audio track not available on the DVD and you think "maybe" he's confused? Since I've never heard of ANY video DVD with analog 6.0 audio - much less one that came out five years ago - I'd say he's pretty damned confused about something...

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I dunno. Now, Laserdisc has 2 analog audio channels, but what he describes can't be LD either [not to mention, you'd think the huge size and incompatibility with DVD players wiould be a tipoff]. One of the 2 analog channels can have DD5.1 inserted instead; and the Redbook stereo PCM track can be replaced with DTS; but [and it was forbidden to do this] even both of these options would leave you with only 3 mixes: analog mono, DD5.1, DTS5.1. So yeah, KevinM hath the right of it. [​IMG]

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just trying to be kind Colin......I thought referring to the reviewer as a crack head would have been insulting to crack heads everywhere[​IMG]

BGL

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

You have a point![​IMG]

Too bad the guy's a "retired" judge at DVD Verdict so we can't e-mail him - I'd love to hear his explanation. DVD Verdict is usually a solid site, but I guess exceptions occur...

17. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

I'll try to check my DVD tonight. This footage needs a Lowery restoration treatment for TSRTS [​IMG]