What's new

The Song Remains the Same: How many audio tracks? (1 Viewer)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I have TSRtS on DVD and it only contains a Dolby Digital 2.0 audio track. However, this review says it contains --

• Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (English)
•*PCM 2.0 Stereo (English)
•*Analog 6.0 Surround (English)
•*Analog 2.0 Stereo (English)

Is there another DVD I didn't know about? Or is DVD Verdict simply wrong?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I will have to check my own, but its a DVD, so it can't have an analog track. Kind of leads me to question the review a bit.

Furthermore, I don't think you would find a DVD out there with both a PCM 2.0 and a DD 2.0. technically its possible, but it would be redundant.

Methinks this reviewer does not know much about DVD. BTW, the Amazon link lists it as DD 2.0, which is probably right. I don;t recall this one being 5.1.

BGL

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I would have to ask the question: what is an "Analog 6.0 Surround" track? MLP? On a Video DVD? Sound's bogus to me.

Actually Music DVD's have this feature quite often, my Tenacious D Masterworks DVD has both 5.1 & 2.0 PCM for the concert and PCM sound for practically everything else.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I took a quick look at the box, and it indicates Dolby Digital Surround, which normally implies DD 2.0.

So from that perspective, it is consistent with the Amazon listing.

BGL

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Ahh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, yeah you are probably right.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. :) I kinda thought that would be the answer, but you know how it is when something plants a doubt in your head.

The logical next question (to which I don't require an answer) is ... where on earth did DVD Verdict get that review disc?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would be inclined to say that somehow the editing of the review got messed up rather than assume they actually have a disc that has the tracks mentioned.

It could be a boot, but still, ain't no way there is going to be an analog track on there, no matter where it was sourced.

But then again, I do tend to be a skeptic when I read something that is so obviously flawed.

Maybe you can drop them an e-mail and see what they have to say. Tell 'em that the a few members of the HTF call B.S. on their review based on technical inaccuracy:D

Putting all that aside, while I personally enjoy TSRTS, if you want some live Zeppelin, this is the one you want:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

BGL

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
.... where on earth did DVD Verdict get that review disc?

...I'd say they pulled it from their ass. It's a totally bogus review from a sound standpoint...the tracks he "reviewed" don't exist on any DVD of this title that I have ever heard of....and I still want to know what the hell an "analog 6.0 surround track" is?

I mean he really lays it on thick with bogus statements like this:

:hey, see? You know the 6.0 analog track is real since he had to scrounge more cables to hear it...:rolleyes:...trust me, it's a load of crap. Maybe it was an april fools joke or something.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Another possibility is that he has the DVD-A of "How the West was Won".

Still no analog to be found, but that one probably has PCM 2.0, and both 6.0 DD (5.1 in other words) and 6.0 DVD-A. discliamer: I own that one on DVD-V, so I am speculating as to the track compliment of the DVD-A.

Maybe he is confused on several levels?

But then again I think Kevin has articulated the true origin of the disc!

BGL

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I thought of that too Brian L, but the DVD Verdict review is dated from 1999 and I believe the DVD-A of HTWWW was released in 03.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Maybe"? He reviews a DVD with a form of audio track not available on the DVD and you think "maybe" he's confused? Since I've never heard of ANY video DVD with analog 6.0 audio - much less one that came out five years ago - I'd say he's pretty damned confused about something...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I dunno. Now, Laserdisc has 2 analog audio channels, but what he describes can't be LD either [not to mention, you'd think the huge size and incompatibility with DVD players wiould be a tipoff]. One of the 2 analog channels can have DD5.1 inserted instead; and the Redbook stereo PCM track can be replaced with DTS; but [and it was forbidden to do this] even both of these options would leave you with only 3 mixes: analog mono, DD5.1, DTS5.1. So yeah, KevinM hath the right of it. :D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Just trying to be kind Colin......I thought referring to the reviewer as a crack head would have been insulting to crack heads everywhere:D

BGL

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You have a point!:)

Too bad the guy's a "retired" judge at DVD Verdict so we can't e-mail him - I'd love to hear his explanation. DVD Verdict is usually a solid site, but I guess exceptions occur...

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
I'll try to check my DVD tonight. This footage needs a Lowery restoration treatment for TSRTS :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks