What's new

"The Shawshank Redemption" Interview/Discussion on Charlie Rose (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Frank Darabont, Morgan Freeman, and Tim Robbins will be appearing on the show tonight.

~T

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for the heads up Thi!

For those in the Greater Toronto Area this in on Sept 7th at 1:30pm on channel 17 WNED or cable 61 on Rogers.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night, and I was cracking up when they talked about all the different mis-pronunciations of the title they've heard over the years. I think Robbins said he had heard "Scrimshaw Reduction," and Freeman said something about "shim sham." Pretty hilarious. :D

It was nice when Freeman talked about when he got the script first, and then he was given a list to think about of people who might play Andy. He immediately went for Robbins, even though they hadn't worked together and apparently barely knew each other, completely convinced that he was the right guy.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
By the way, if you missed it, I assume that this is the Charlie Rose interview that's going to be included on the upcoming DVD SE release.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hope it is included, I only saw the last 10-15 minutes of it. :frowning:

Did anyone notice if they paid tribute to King as the writer? I caught the part where Robbins said that the script/screenplay was perfect, but I was hoping someone went to bat for King because, honestly, Darabont did not change much at all. (and he admitted this to me in discussion on a Dave's Signing Day where I got to meet him--very nice guy!)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
They did talk some about the differences between the story and the movie. Darabont mentioned having previously adapted another King short story, and he said he was appreciative of King's support on Shawshawk, where King was surprised that anyone would want to adapt it, figuring that it wasn't likely movie material.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Darabont acknolwedged King several times, referring to him fondly as "Steve" in relating to getting permission for the adaptation, later for THE GREEN MILE, his affinity for Rob Reiner and King's STAND BY ME, and so on.

One thing I was hoping to hear Rose ask Darabont about was Indiana Jones and his (limited) involvment in the scripting, but alas... Anyone know if there's a list of the dozen or so theaters SHAWSHANK will be re-released on? At the end of the show, Rose mentioned it'd be on something like 11 screens, but some googling turned up nothing

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I just want to thank the person who started this thread and the one who provided information on the time and channel it would be on where I live. Thank you very much! I watched the show today and enjoyed it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It was a great interview and King was appropriately acknowledged.

I agree with Morgan Freeman that if the original title had been kept - Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption - that the movie would have had a higher recognition factor with movie audiences during it's original run.

Some of the names that fans would give the film were hilarious indeed.

BTW, Darabont hasn't aged at all!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too agree that the whole title should have been kept.

Perhaps someone in the Rita Hayworth camp didn't want this to happen? (could they have stopped her name from being in the movie?)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
In the interview, they said the original name would have been too long for the marquees, although Freeman thought they should have kept it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Freeman's idea was good: RITA HAYWORTH on the top of the poster, ...and the Shawshank Redemption at the bottom.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I missed it. Oh well. Yesterday was a bit too busy for me anyway.

I'll catch it on DVD then. :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
There'll be a 2-week limited engagement starting next Friday in the LA area at the Hollywood Arclight and Pacific's Grove.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks