What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Got a chance to watch it tonight. Is it me or was there some heavy grain removal here? Looks too "clean"..
If compared to the original Blu-ray, which is included, you'll readily see the difference between an older IP scan and new highly resolved image harvest of the OCN.
This is the difference. Grain can "clump" in subsequent generations and SFX supervisors used to rely on this to obscure wires and such. A mid-90s OCN will be more highly resolved than older films because of better film stocks. If grain removal had happened, it would look smeary or plastic. Take a look at the 4K UHD of T2 as an example.

ghostwind

Premium
Real Name
bogdan
This is the difference. Grain can "clump" in subsequent generations and SFX supervisors used to rely on this to obscure wires and such. A mid-90s OCN will be more highly resolved than older films because of better film stocks. If grain removal had happened, it would look smeary or plastic. Take a look at the 4K UHD of T2 as an example.
Maybe, but if you look at "Jerry Maguire 4K", shot 2 years later, or "A League of Their Own 4K", shot 2 years prior on the same Kodak stock, you will see a grain structure that looks more like film. Same with most 90s films that have good 4K transfers from their OCNs. This one seems a bit septic to me with no texture. Maybe that's how Deakins shot it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We used to have grain "clumping" problems with earlier stock. By the time 5243 came along c.1986, going from the OCN to an IP to a dupe merely softened the edges of the grain.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Got a chance to watch it tonight. Is it me or was there some heavy grain removal here? Looks too "clean"..

I thought the grain looked fine.

Is it possible there was some noise reduction used? I guess, but if so, I definitely wouldn't call it "heavy".

We've seen "heavy" NR for many titles and it's obvious when that happens.

"Shawshank" looks pretty natural to me.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
At the roof tarring scene. I have zero issues with the transfer and am thankful for such a wonderful looking/sounding transfer of one of my favorite films (and book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pox;and
Recent bookmarks