What's new

The Searchers HD DVD on 8-22-06 (Possible PQ Color Issue See Post #12) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, it's hard to determine that by some of the posts here....

....so with that in mind, if the current color scheme was intentional,
then I am happy that there are no longer any problems.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i dont know about that.
i thought it was a matter of thinking that they didnt want to fix the color timing and robert offered an idea on how to set up your picture settings to get close to the way it should look.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Ooh, I feel very lucky to have walked in a store and picked this up yesterday.

:)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
DeeF,

You should feel very lucky indeed. :) However, I am in the midst of a major HT upgrade and probably won't have time to watch The Searchers in the next week or so anyway. I just can't turn down HD DVDs for $17.96 shipped from Amazon, so I've learned to be patient.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I just watched my copy.

Spectacular. Magnificent. A true milestone in High Definition on DVD.

It was hard to believe that I was watching a 50 year old movie.

This is going to sell like hotcakes.

M

Member 323668

Sent you a PM about the online store that had it in early. The rest did FedEx. :)

Once again: The PQ on the HD-DVD of "The Searchers" is fantastic!

Aug 16, 2006 11:04 PM

Arrived at FedEx location

FRANKFURT DE

9:55 AM

Departed FedEx location

NEWARK, NJ

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
surprised to see there aren't more posts about this release, especially when some people must have certainly encountered what I did in trying to find and buy it.
after seeing it in a Toledo Circuit City (where the price rang up as $22.9x), I tried to purchase it in two CCs back home and both times the disc rang up as not streeting until 9/3. the one location was willing to override this as they looked up the date on the internet and found that nothing conflicted with the 8/22 date previously listed- but then they were going to charge $28.99 (which they also found by going on the net as it wasn't ringing up with a price in the store system) at which point I just told them to forget it.
Best Buy still has no trace of this Or Caddyshack either on the shelf or in their computer.

so at the moment I'm left with empty hands...quite a common situation as I chase this format. WTF can't these studios and distributers/retailers get their shit together in regards to this format?

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased my copy at Circuit City on Tuesday. The employee who helped me said that, according to their system, the title wasn't due to street for another two months. He did sell me the copy I'd picked up off the rack (for $24.xx), but then he took all the other copies off the floor. It took him a while to figure out how to ring it up. I did think that was pretty odd.

It was definitely worth all the trouble, though. The PQ on this HD DVD looks incredible. Those Monument Valley backdrops are just amazing to look at. I didn't notice a problem with the color timing, but I'd only seen the movie once before on SD DVD. I would consider this a great addition to any HD DVD collection.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I went back to the first CC last night, got a different floor manager and managed to get the disc for $19.99 + tax.
he still had to enter an SVL code to override the system, but he did it without hesitation- very cool, and I left a very happy camper (and then rushed home to cancel my amazon order).

I agree with all the positive comments.
I didn't watch the movie yet, but did skip around the disc quite a bit and while some skin tones appear a bit off in some shots (almost like a gamma related issue at times), any deficencies here are more than compensated by the amazing look of the disc in general in regards to resolution and natural color. The clarity with which the tight checker pattern can be seen on Jeffrey Hunters shirt in one scene tickled me to no end, and the opening 'open door reveal' at the begining of the film damn near brought tears to my eyes, it was so vividly startling and so beautiful.

I passed on the sd version so this is my first look at the work done with the film, and compared to the earlier disc which I considered exceedingly disappointing when viewed on a fp, and ebayed without a second thought (or even one full viewing) this one here is a treasure beyond words.

I'm am absolutely thrilled at this point. Kudos all around

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, what is an svl code and why did he sell it to you for 19.xx?

anyway i might just go pick one of these up now and use the one amazon sends me to do a return.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
svl appears to be a generic code for service/labor charges. in the notation on the reciept he made a point to list exactly what the item was ( btw, one store had this in their Bd display and the other had it grouped in the regular dvds under the John Wayne subsection in action.

I don't know where he got the $19.99 price, though someone else reported theirs was rung up at that amount too at another CC. The first time I tried to buy this they were going to charge me full msrp- $28.95

if the Searchers is the only disc in your Amazon order, you can just refuse the entire package - return it to the PO unopened and Amazon will give you a complete credit for it. and even if you have more than one item in it, you can just reorder them sans the Searchers disc and send back the first package.
something to consider.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Just to keep the members here updated as this is a title I very much intend to cover for the forum. I've been waiting patiently on the front porch for nearly a week for the FedEx gal to pull up.... coming in for only the bear essentials, the odd glass of water and to kiss the kids good night -- but still, no Searchers... Even the neighbors are showing signs of concern... hopefully it will show up soon...!!

:)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Herb...

Please.

No complaints.

Ethan was out there for ten long years, and hardly changed his suspenders.

Hopefully, you're at least receiving regular sustenance.

RAH

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
There seems to be some mystery about the distribution of this title. I finally got one shipped from a Florida web seller and it should arrive today. Local Best Buy got none and order at Amazon has been changed to ship date of September 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks