What's new

The Searchers HD DVD on 8-22-06 (Possible PQ Color Issue See Post #12) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well the searchers SD dvd might still be a special item because of the packaging and
the Ultimate Collector's Edition includes:
# Reproduction of 1956 Dell comic book
# Reproduction of original 1956 Warner Bros. press book
# Reproductions of filmmaker memos and correspondence
# 10 postcards with behind-the-scenes photos
# Movie poster offer

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
oh yea i forgot, %$@#@ i just ordered the searchers yesterday

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remember, there is an issue with the color on "The Searchers" dvd and it is supposed to be corrected for the HD DVD release.

PatH

Second Unit
To Crawdaddy:

So those of us with little interest in HD/Blue Ray, Green Ray, gold kryptonite, whatever must live with color issues while the rest of you get the right stuff?:)

PatH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is why I upgraded to HD in the first place even though I own "The Searchers" Ultimate Edition in SD DVD.:)

Crawdaddy

DeeF

Screenwriter
Oh, I found them. Too bad, no dates. Still, I'll buy The Searchers when it's available.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Davisdvd is reporting 8/22 for The Searchers, Caddyshack, and the rescheduled Good Night, Good Luck

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
It's official - this just arrived from WB:
------------------------------------

Good Night and Good Luck, The Searchers and Caddyshack Now on HD DVD August 22

Burbank, California (August 1, 2006) –Good Night and Good Luck, The Searchers and Caddyshack make their HD DVD debuts on August 22 from Warner Home Video. Good Night and Good Luck will be released as an HD-DVD/DVD combo and will be available for $39.99 SRP. The other two titles will sell for $28.99 SRP.

Good Night and Good Luck, the critically acclaimed Oscar®- nominated drama starring David Strathairn and directed by George Clooney, chronicles the real-life conflict between newsman Edward R. Murrow and Senator Joseph McCarthy. The Searchers, with an indelible image of the American frontier and the men and women who challenged it, stars John Wayne and was directed by John Ford. Caddyshack, 18 holes of fairway foolishness with Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray, did for golf what Animal House did for college fraternities.

Said George Feltenstein, WHV’s Senior Vice President Theatrical Catalog Marketing, “Each time I watch a film in the new HD DVD format, I’m struck by the night-and-day difference -- resolution, contrast, vibrancy of color, crisp sound. The Searchers is a landmark Western celebrating its 50th Anniversary so what a perfect time to have it on HD DVD. As for the other titles: just look at how sharp the grass on the fairway at the Bushwood Country Club is, or the smoke from Ed Murrow’s (many) cigarettes …these are small things but they so contribute to the overall enhancement of the experience. It’s a cliché but … you have to see it to believe it.”

All bonus materials on the Standard Definition versions of these titles will be included on the HD DVD versions.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, HD DVD also provides a new level of interactivity, giving instant access to extra features with the debut of a seamless menu-bar that allows viewers to enjoy features and settings without leaving or interrupting the film.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Oh, I'm SO happy about The Searchers. I'm ordering that new Toshiba player today.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

While I've enjoyed many of the HD DVDs I've seen so far, and Serenity has cemented itself as a new all-time favorite thru subsequent viewings- The Searchers is still the first announced title that has me jumping up and down in anticipation.
If I could only ever have 10 titles in a superior format, this would surely be one of the ones on the list.

I just hope the color timing issues have indeed been corrected.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is the searchers hd dvd listed on amazon?
i cant find it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Has RAH seen this title in HD DVD?
Is the HD DVD source WB is toting to be accurate, the same as the one they used for the SD DVD?
Thanks & sorry for my confusion on this issue/title.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
So what does not having the correct color timing result in the final HD DVD movie? Is the color going to be all messed up with people having green skin or what?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, BIG thanks to Robert & Robert (RAH & Crawdaddy) for leading me though this mess!
So glad to be apart of this forum! :)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
If a print from the 50s looks quite different than one from the 60s how can we know which version was preferred by Ford? Are they both director approved?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks