What's new

The Rock criterion DTS question (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter

I completely agree. I'm a HUGE DTS fan. I buy 2 copies of the same movie just to get the extras PLUS the DTS version. Trust me...I GET IT. But this DTS track is one of 2 that I can't listen to (Robin Hood: POT being the other). It just sucks in comparison.

I'd like to get the R3 Korean version because it has DTS and do a comparison. Sorry but R2 is PAL and I don't buy PAL discs.

AlexBC

Second Unit
I think Mitch was refering to CraigF post. And what CraigF implies is exactly what Maggi Magg said on the last page.

It's possible that there is a corrected version as the differences people are hearing are not subtle things that are usually attributed to the DD X DTS tracks when the same master is used. I for one, much like CraigL, am a huge DTS fan.

And my copy of The Rock (CC) must be the faulty one, because the difference between the tracks is not like one sounding a little fuller or more spacial then the other. There's simply no surround or bass on the DTS track, and as some have noted there are processors that don't even trigger the 5.1 sign.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I seriously doubt it is a 2 channel DTS track (though my receiver and player don't specify for DTS tracks). I've been comparing a few scenes, and there are discrete rear effects on the DTS track (unless my receiver is applying PLII, but I haven't really noticed discrete rear effects with PLII on standard 2.0 material).

My major obeservation was that the surrounds definitely sounded softer on the DTS track, as if I had turned their volume down couple notches. While some movies mix surround effects loud as a cheap geewiz effect, the DTS on The Rock has them so soft that much of the sense of space is lost. On the other hand, the DD track has the surrounds balenced well with the fronts.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mitch, in my case the problems were with video. I am not 100% sure what audio track I listen to, but I really liked everything about this movie once I got the disc sorted out. I am almost certain that I would listen to the dts, since that is always my first choice, and I believe the second LOTR EE DVD is the only one where I have chosen DD over it because I was told to by somebody who had listened to both. I suppose I will have to listen to the Rock DD now...oh well, too bad, I try to save watching my favorite movies until I can really savor it, don't want to watch them *too* often... Anyway, I'll throw on The Rock DD tonight after I finish the CC Spartacus which I'm in the middle of (intermission, you know).

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Once again.
THE DTS TRACK SHOWS AS A 2 TRACK ON MY DVD PLAYER AND 5.1 ON MY AMP (i know there is no such thing as a 2 tr. DTS)
So there must be something wrong with the decoding on this disc.
Like i said in my earlier post there must be 2 Criterion Collection versions of The Rock out there.
That would explain the mixed reaction to the DTS track.
I´m a DTS fan myself so it´s not a question about DTS vs. DD.
A friend of mine has a very high end Meridian system and as we tested this disc on his dvd player it vent bananas.
He was very suprised and told me that this had never happened to him before.
Again this must be a faulty decoding work.:frowning:

Cheers
Maggi

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
his dvd player went bananas ,after a while refused to play the disc,froze and the processor didn´t recognise the audio format the brief moment it actually played.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Not really. My player also shows 2ch DTS and decodes 5.1 on the receiver, but doesn't sound nearly as bad as some are saying. As I mentioned before, the DD track is the winner...but the DTS track is far from the worst I've ever heard. It uses the rear channels (though not as good as the DD track) and the bass is present.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I had been reading for a while that many consider the Criterion Collections "The Rock" and its supposed poor DTS track to be one of the most dissapointing DTS tracks. I was able to spend a considerable amount of time auditioning it and found that the DTS track was a little bit warmer and lower in comparitive volume than the Dolby track was, but when turned up a little, I actually preffered it because of the extra warmth. The details were sharp and clear along with the seperation. I am not a one sided DTS or DD fanatic, I just listen to what track I feel sounds best, and I did not feel the DTS track on this disc was sub par, just a little different than most DTS tracks.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Has anyone brought to Criterions attention the defective DTS track? This seems similar to the Jurassic Park DTS track being defective and new ones being issued. It seems this problem has been around for a while and I'm suprised it has not been corrected.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i have the cc and it is on the dts track there is a faulty flag as this shows :

win dvd anlyises the stream and extracts the format it agrees with me :

i just did an a-b on the dolby and dts and the dts is better and has plenty of surround information

StuR

Auditioning
From looking at DVD Profiler there are two entries for The Rock: Criterion Collection. They differ from what I can tell by UPC only.
They are as follows:
99912-15794
86936-15042

Maybe we can get everyone to post up which UPC they have and compare it to how their DTS vs DD 5.1 tracks sound.

:emoji_thumbsup:

StuR

Auditioning
Mike Wadkins:
where did you get the data from your first image?? Looks like a website but to date I've yet to run across a nice layout of info as that.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
its a program i have it reads the ifo file and decrypts the info inside as you can see its incorrectly flaged

CraigL

Screenwriter
I'm confused, mike. You say your information gives you a faulty flag on the DTS track but yet you say it sounds great.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The "faulty flag" does not mean the data is faulty, just the flag itself. We see lots of bad flags for soundtracks, more commonly for EX and dts 6.1, so that usually means manual intervention with the decoder. As it happens, my decoder must look at the bitstream because it set itself to dts 5.1, I have the same UPC version as Mike Wadkins.

The dts track is definitely recorded at a lower level than the DD track (or maybe if it's more mellow it just seems a lower level to my ears), I had to crank it a fair bit to get it to my satisfaction. This is opposite to what seems more common. IMO both tracks are quite good, so pick one and enjoy.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Guess I'll be demoing my copy as well tonight. I could have sworn the DTS sounded fine through my Proceed AVP.

Thos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks