What's new

The Rock criterion DTS question (1 Viewer)

lakshmant

Agent
i have the 2 disc set which i got from amazon.com and the DTS track shows in my DVD player as DTS 2 channel track is this a downmixed track or a wrong display on my player and is the DTS track really 5.1 like the DD track, all other titles like apollo 13 and prince of egypt DTS titles show as 5.1 on my DVD player.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Regardless of what it shows up as...do not even bother with it. As someone who is a HUGE proponent of everything DTS, this track is horrible. I actually just watched the disc for the first time after having owned it for years. I had heard the rumors of how bad the DTS track is...and 1/3 of the way through the movie, i decided to switch to the DD version. ENTERELY different experience. Almost made me want to go back and watch the whole movie in DD. Only other movie like this is Robin Hood.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with CraigL on this one. The DD beats the hell out of the DTS track away on this DVD. When I first put it in I too noticed the DTS track showed up as 2 channel, but I went ahead and listened to it anyway. I kept wondering why it sounded so bad(I actually thought I had a defective DVD) so I checked the DD track to see how it sounded and I was blown away. To make a long story short, I don't even care about how the DTS track sounds anymore because the DD is top-notch and I love how it sounds on my system.

Sten F

Second Unit

No, it´s not. I have the Region 2UK Collector´s Edition, and mine has 5.1 DTS. And here the DTS soundtrack blows the DD 5.1 away.

However, according to DVDCompare the Criterion should be in 5.1 DTS as well.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
uhh I'm gonna have to dissagree with you on this one. I thought this was a fantastic DTS track

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
lakshmant, I think you'll find that a great number of folks that own this title find that the DD track is superior to the DTS track. Even many of the DTS-only folks. :) This disk is almost notorious for the DD being superior.

Watch it with the DD track and judge for yourself. That's the only way to be sure. ;)

Sten F

Second Unit
Would you please elaborate on you view about the DTS issue?

Both the Criterion and the Collecter´s Edition has 5.1 DTS, which with out a doubt is superior to the DD 5.1.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I have the first Region 1 release of the Rock. It had an okay 5.1 soundtrack but I think it is a pretty old disk. What are the differences between the DD and DTS tracks on the Criterion? Does the DTS track just have low bass levels? If that is it then I rememdy that by turning the LFE on my receiver up.

Or is it just plain flat sounding? If that is the case then I know what you mean. It happens.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Yah...you'll be completely disappointed.

I SWEAR by dts. This track sucks. There is VERY little going on in the surrounds and there isn't much ambience. I'm listening on a 6.1 system with subwoofer. The differences are night and day. And I just watched this two weeks ago for the first time so it's fresh in my memory. This disc had long been thought to even be defective. I know many were hoping for a recall when it originally came out. The DTS track in plain english, SUCKS.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I watched my DTS laser earlier tonight and found it to be fantastic. Must be a different mix than the DVD.

I'll have to do some A/B tests tomorrow on my DVD.

Brett C

Second Unit
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the DTS track myself and there are reviews reflecting this, this is from Widescreen Review,

Like the previous DVD and LaserDisc releases, both 5.1-channel soundtrack presentations are excellent with a lively, aggressive soundstage presence filled with intensity. Compared to the previous DTS® LaserDisc, this latest offering delivers slightly more depth in the low-end and a bit of refinement in overall clarity. The DTS Digital Surround™ version delivers a slightly more transparent sound. Channel separation is slightly better defined, as is overall clarity. (Perry Sun/Gary Reber)

Its a matter of personal opinion I think.

Sten F

Second Unit
As I said before I have the R2UK Collector´s Edition, which might be better than the Criterion version. But I cannot say that with certainty as I don´t have the Criterion. But it seems from the qoutes below that the DTS definitely is much better than the DD.

Here is what IOFILM.CO:UK wrote in their review about the sound.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Exactly. The difference between the DTS and DD tracks is like night and day. At least on my disk. (I've played it on several systems, so I know it isn't my equipment.)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, I did some comparisons between the DD and DTS on the DVD and between the LD DTS and DVD DTS. I used two scenes for the comparison: the launching of the rocket that detonates in the ocean, and the thermite plasma bombing of the island. The DVD DD track is the clear winner over the DVD DTS track. It seemed to go much lower than the DTS track and the rear effects sounded much clearer. The DTS track still sounded decent though...not nearly as bad as I was lead to believe. The LD DTS track is the overall winner. Much better use of the rear channels and clearer bass.

That being said...they all seemed pretty decent to me, so YMMV.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Well,
I must say that it has been some time since I viewed it last (many system upgrades ago.) I guess I will also have to check and prepare to eat my words
Marc

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
My Criterion copy's DD & DTS equally rocks the ROCK
and it shows 3.2.1 DTS on my A/V amp when watching DTS
track. Its absolutely stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks