What's new

"The Quiet Earth" arrives on dvd! (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Granted, it's a PAL disc, and non-OAR, but better than what we had before (i.e. nothing):

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000082805

Judging from the 'obscure sci-fi' thread, I know there are a few of you who'll be as excited about this as I am. Who knows? It might even recieve an un-butchered R1 release in the near future. Miracles can happen...;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Oh great. 1.33:1. :frowning:

I haven't seen this film since a theatrical showing in the '80s but my memories of some of the scenes are such that the compositional aspects of some of the shots really need to be preserved. Like all apocalyptic films it derives much of its power from the abandoned cityscapes ( think 28 Days Later ) and I really believe that an open matte transfer, with its implicit side cropping due to zooming, would really damage the presentation of this film.

Glad to see the title finally being released, despite the above, but let's hope that Fox ( I believe they have the rights ) does justice to this obscure little gem and releases a nice O.A.R. transfer in Region 1. (crosses fingers)

- Walter.

DannyS

Second Unit
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thus just gets better and better.

escape from new york, to live and die in la and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be dreaming

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Quiet Earth is up for pre-order at DVDEMPIRE for June 13th release from Anchor Bay. The retail price is $26.98 so I'm hoping it will have extras.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The list price now shows as $24.95. I haven't seen anything saying if there are any extras, but at least it is 1.85:1 anamorphic where the current R2 version is full screen and has only moderate image quality. Even the video clips available on Amazon look better than the current DVD.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more said about this release here.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice to see it available finally! This one's up there with Miracle Mile as a forgotten sci-fi gem of the '80s. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw Miracle Mile years ago. I need to give it a spin. It was actually on TV a few months ago.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
At least one print of this film has Api dubbed over with a bland, accentless voice ( Api is the tough Maori guy ). The region 2 DVD and tv screenings here have his original voice intact, but an old US videotape I've seen ( CBS Fox I think ) had the substituted voice. I assume this was done for the same reason that 'Mad Max' was dubbed in the late 70s ie. a silly assumption that the audience wouldn't be able to understand his accent. Although I'm keen for a better edition of this film than is currently available, I'll hold off on ordering it until I hear which version is included.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have both the R2 DVD and a US VHS. I may have to check Api's voice to see if it is dubbed.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Speaking of New Zealand gems, Madman has released Vincent Wards THE NAVIGATOR in OZ, and its a fairly good 16:9 transfer-Why Henpecked bothered to release such a cheapie 4:3 version here is beyond me-never heard of them before-never heard of them again.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/230768

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, talk about about a blast from the past. I never thought to be notified that The Quiet Earth was out in R1 by a thread I started almost 3 years ago. And some helpful forum members, of course. :) Thanks.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up The Quiet Earth today at Best Buy. I didn't realize it was going to be released in one of those "metal keepcases" a la Dune: Extended Edition. Classy! :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to say, it seems a sad result of so many internet "critics" that more and more reviews are nothing but spoilers. It's lazy, poor writing. That "review" is nothing but a Reader's Digest condensation of the entire movie. To follow it with "The Quiet Earth is one of those movies best seen without too many spoilers" is particularly sloppy. I mean, calling Joanne a blonde, when she has brilliant red hair? Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks