What's new

The Phantom (1996) (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I noticed this film is due for a release on Feb.7 through Maple Pictures ( Lionsgate ). I just got a copy and will be comparing it to the SD dvd tonight so for anyone who is interested in buying this title I can give them an idea of what to expect. I do hope the transfer does justice to the blu ray format. I have heard that some releases from Maple Pictures have been less than stellar in the past. I guess Paramount feels it is not worth the bother to release it themselves. Really not a bad film at all, in fact it's a lot of fun and I love the aircraft sequences. It lists the Audio as being 7.1 DTS-HD. Good excuse to fire up the pj so any glaring issues should be obvious, if any.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
A quick comparison definitely shows the blu ray version is a nice improvement - a fair number of specks were noticeable throughout the film and it seemed to have a somewhat "processed" look to it in general - perhaps some DNR or EE at work here - not really sure as I do not have much experience with those artifacts.Some long shots tended to be a bit soft looking, colors and blacks were much improved, along with detail, always quite good but sometimes much more so. Basically the SD really shows it's limitations. Also, the DTS-HD soundtrack is more detailed with better bass extension. Considering the 15.00 I paid for it this release is well worth it, at least for me. Since I watched it at 128" and still found a lot to like smaller displays will only help it look better no doubt. As usual those with more experience with the film medium will be able to pinpoint any possible problems with the transfer from the HD source to BD. Nice to finally have it on blu ray regardless I still came away impressed with the overall presentation.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Wow - maybe this means someone will release 'The Shadow' on Blu - all we ever got was a pan & scan SDVD version and that was a pretty fun movie also!

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Thanks for the review, Brent. I like this movie and will probably get it sometime in the future. While it is not a great movie, it is a fun movie. I've enjoyed watching the DVD from time to time. The next time I'm ready to watch it again I'll upgrade to Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks