What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invisibles

Don Gordon (great 60's guest star), George MacReady, Dee Hartford, Neil Hamilton (Batman), Richard Dawson (Hogan's Heroes, Family Feud), Tony Mordente (Choreographer)

"You do not know these men. You may have looked at them, but you did not see them. They are newspapers blowing down a gutter on a windy night. For reasons both sociological and psychological these three have never joined or been invited to join society. They have never experienced love or friendship, or formed any lasting or constructive relationship, but today, at last, they will become a part of something. They will belong. They will come a little closer to their unrealistic dreams of power and glory. Today, finally they will join th... I almost said the human race, and that would have been a half-truth, for the race they are joining today is only half human."

60's paranoia ... ain't it great? With a title like "The Invisibles", paranoia must be expected. A little bit of body snatching by going after societies invisibles (the homeless). Enemies behind every rock/building, etc. Great look to the episode to build the paranoid feeling. The recruiter preaching to the newest recruits. Twists and double crosses abound. Not so much a physical horror story, but one that borders on the unseen threat. Can we trust who we have in authority. Do we know who is really in charge. Are these still valid concerns today? (Don't answer that, don't need to be political!) Nice to see how 50+ year old shows can still be valid.

Great performance by Don Gordon, especially after he "breaks" his leg. So much pain conveyed by his expression, especially in the eyes. (Eyes - see prior post.)

"You do not know these men. You may have looked at them, but you did not see them. They are the wind that blows newspapers down a gutter on a windy night -- and sweeps the gutter clean."

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Bellero Shield

"When this passion called aspiration becomes lust, then aspiration degenerates, becomes vulgar ambition, by which sin the angels fell."

Looking forward to a few more of these. I always enjoy stories that examine "us" through unconventional means. Good alien, really messed up humans. Great entertainment.

A powerful and haunting take on Lady Macbeth, ultimately trapped in a prison of her own guilt. As morality plays go, you can't do better than this, particularly with such great acting from Kellerman, Landau and Rivera.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Much love for The Bellero Shield...a beautiful review and well said, Doug and Wayne...it's a typically great looking and atmospheric episode too, which should yield a stunning presentation on the upcoming Blu-ray...
OL%2BBellero%2BShield%2B3.png

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This is a still from Joseph Stefano's unsold pilot for The Haunted, 'The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre', with co-stars Dianne Baker and Martin Landau...produced by Daystar / Villa di Stefano and UA in 1964...
C81mTJJVwAAjtuO.jpg

Diane Baker and Martin Landau re-united at a TCM Festival Event a few years ago...
C81lqqOVoAAidpV.jpg

Original Studio promotional artwork for the unsold pilot film and a pitch to CBS for the never to be series itself...was this artwork also used for the unconfirmed overseas theatrical screenings?

16603025_1851061505108969_562969958570217902_n.jpg

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Joseph Stefano and Gerd Oswald's other prospective pilot for another series, The Unknown, 'Forms of Things Unknown' (May 4, 1964) is certainly a weirdly wonderful and damn sexy episode with the eye candy of Vera Miles and Barbara Rush...'Kasia' and 'Leonora'...
noir-dames.jpg

Classique.png

Vera Miles, Barbara Rush and Sir Cedric Hardwicke on set, January 1964...note the actor's 'marks' on the floor for camera framing...

the-forms-of-things-unknown-airdate-may-4-1964-vera-milesbarbara-picture-id169129283

And now Joined by David McCallum during rehearsal...January, 1964...Scott Marlowe was also in this episode...

the-forms-of-things-unknown-airdate-may-4-1964-vera-milesbarbara-picture-id169129279

David McCallum with his 'Time Tilting' device...and a bid to return to the 'Safe, dead quiet of the past'...

the-forms-of-things-unknown-airdate-may-4-1964-david-mccallum-picture-id169129288

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I love Forms Of Things Unknown. It somehow manages to be classic Gothic horror and newly creative and inventive all at once. A serious misstep in not going to series on this in my opinion. But, horror anthologies were on the way out in the mid 60's. Another case of what might have been.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think that the original Outer Limits series was far better than the later series.

The original series had a few light hearted episodes every now and than, and wasn't afraid to try a variety of things. The latter series never had any fun episodes, ever. You have to some sweet with the sour now and than. The latter series got way too depressing, and showed no hope at all. The nineties Outer Limits people really needed to go out in the sunshine and try to see some good in humanity.

They did have some good episodes, but I really wish they could have lightened up. The "darkest" original series Outer Limits didn't come any where as nihilistic as the latter.

James

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Trade paper advertisement announcing the completion of the pilot episode, which was filmed in early December 1962 with a budget of $213K... huge money at the time and a real gamble by Daystar while they were doing Stoney Burke concurrently...the series was still being called 'Please Stand By' at the time...
22519127_1742022716102540_5756600868719973904_n.jpg

Promotional artwork for the pilot episode, 'The Galaxy Being'...painting by noted Science Fiction Illustrator Charles Schneeman...

22539997_1741768956127916_4118151375966575817_n.jpg

The Alien itself, 'The Andromedan' was played by actor William O. Douglas jr., who was the son of the then United States Supreme Court Associate Justice William O. Douglas...for me, the pilot telefilm was just the perfect way to kick off The Outer Limits as a series...with great guest stars like Cliff Robertson (a very big star at the time), Jacqueline Scott and Lee Philips...Phillips was scheduled to play the lead until Cliff Robertson decided to take the part...probably with some hesitation because his movie career was really taking off with 'PT-109', 'Sunday in New York', '633 Squadron' etc.,...the 'Andromedan' is also one of the classic prototypical noble and self sacrificing aliens of the series...though scary enough as well, with the effective costume, distinctive voice and Project Unlimited FX Magic...a great episode to start the run, with many more to come...I well remember watching this on the premiere night of broadcast, Sept. 16, 1963,,,

22448114_1741002382871240_6063351841426381445_n.jpg

pilot-galaxy-being-airdate-september-16-1963-cliff-robertson-picture-id169130636

screen-capture-1.png

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Love this TV Guide photo from Sept. 1963...promoting that season's new premiere shows...Paul Richards and Eduard Franz of Breaking Point trying to look nonchalant and not making eye contact with the 'Thetan' from Outer Limits 'Architects of Fear'...while the great Joseph Cotten maintains his dignity (looking jumpy, though, ha, ha) while promoting his role as host on Hollywood and the Stars...I don't imagine that Janos Prohaska was inside the Thetan when this photo was taken...amazing and eerie effect he brought to the Thetan by walking around on crutches to move the creature's forelimbs...
3caf93283b480d97cb4d6fab52ce90da.jpg

More premiere shows from the same issue...L to R, Dan O'Herlihy and young Kurt Russell for Travels of Jaimie McPheeters...Ray Walston and Bill Bixby for My Favorite Martian...Chuck Connors and Ben Gazzara for Arrest and Trial...and a treasure chest for game show 100 Grand...a "Big Money" quiz show hosted by Jack Clark that ran at 10 on Sunday nights! People who didn't win a $100 Grand and had to get up early on Monday morning to earn a living missed out on all the excitement of this low rated show that was soon killed off by the Nielsens...

$_1.JPG

Richard Egan for Redigo...Bea Benaderet, Jeannine Riley, Pat Woodell, and another girl (Linda Kaye?) for Petticoat Junction...the pretty girls on this show were so generic that I've always had trouble telling one from the other...

REDIGO_Richard_Egan_PETTICOAT_JUNCTION_1963_tv_guide_ad.JPG

L to R...Rhonda Fleming and Steve Forrest for the great Anthology show Kraft Suspense Theater...Jeff Hunter for Temple Houston (where's Jack Elam?)...Gene Barry for the wonderful Burke's Law...Inger Stevens and the great William Windom for Farmer's Daughter...the great Van Heflin for The Great Adventure...a wealth of great anthology shows this season, as the Richard Boone Show also debuted...

$_57.JPG

(Edit) More Tuesday night premiere shows...the great Dean Jagger and James Franciscus for Mr. Novak...the great David Jannsen for The Fugitive...Jack Palance for The Greatest Show on Earth...

$_57.JPG

Seen here on the other page of this spread...Imogene Coca of Grindl...and Bill Dana from the Bill Dana Show...
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Sample print ad layouts for The Outer Limits...'Cold Hands, Warm Heart' and 'Counterweight' (Season 2)...
6346473000370f376702cdc045497a0b--cold-hands-the-creatures.jpg

Fall 1963 was a damn fine line up...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh, and I should have added this...another of my all time favorite shows debuted that same fall of 1963...the soon to be on DVD, Mr. Novak!

(Edit) And before Alan can remind me of a terrible oversight...(and rightfully so)...another great show in the class of '63...The Fugitive !!!

And of course, East Side, West Side and Channing!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I finally got a good copy of this series. Haven't seen it since I was too young to really judge it. Looking forward to seeing it for the "first" time.
Wait!!! You're just now getting a copy to watch?!? I'm somewhat envious! This one was an early acquisition for me and I was thrilled to be able to see it after all those decades. I don't say "again" as I was really too young to remember many details, just that it was sometimes creepy, sometimes SF, and I liked it! :) You're in for a real treat!

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
I'm getting a bit nervous about the upcoming Blu-ray release of this. Kino Lorber doesn't have the greatest track record with their releases (their new "Portrait of Jennie" Blu-ray is getting plenty of trashing on Amazon.com with one reviewer claiming that Kino never truly restores anything).

That said, just about anything will be an improvement over the DVDs, which had arguably the worst audio of any high-profile TV show release.

Thoughts?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting a bit nervous about the upcoming Blu-ray release of this. Kino Lorber doesn't have the greatest track record with their releases (their new "Portrait of Jennie" Blu-ray is getting plenty of trashing on Amazon.com with one reviewer claiming that Kino never truly restores anything).

That said, just about anything will be an improvement over the DVDs, which had arguably the worst audio of any high-profile TV show release.

Thoughts?
None of the small licensing companies restore anything: Kino, Shout, Twilight Time, Criterion. They simply do not have the huge cash needed to do restorations. They all use what is provided to them by the studios. Shout, Kino and Criterion occasionally do new transfers on their own but not restorations. So for Outer Limits it will depend a lot on how good the new HD masters that MGM provides to them are. But that would be the same case no matter which company released it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks