What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (2 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also important to note that the GNP was largely compiled from the final edited DME mag mixes whereas the LaLaLand used Dom Frontiere's own extant copies of his original session tapes (he saved nearly all of them save for what little music he composed for The Galaxy Being!)

It's interesting... the GNP/Crescendo disc uses the actual cue titles, while the La La Land set renames everything.
That's probably for the best. I mean who knows WTF "The Wild Brahmas" were supposed to be.

...then again The Wild Brahmas was actually written for a different episode than The Hundred Days of the Dragon and GNP included it by mistake so maybe there WAS a refference to some Wild Brahmas in Don't Open Til Doomsday!

Last edited:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
That's probably for the best. I mean who knows WTF "The Wild Brahmas" were supposed to be.

...then again The Wild Brahmas was actually written for a different episode than The Hundred Days of the Dragon and GNP included it by mistake so maybe there WAS a reference to some Wild Brahmas in Don't Open Til Doomsday!

Really glad you brought that cue up. As far as I know it WASN'T in "The Hundred Days of the Dragon," but it's right there in the original cue sheet. It originated as a cue on Stoney Burke (from the episode "Point of Honor"). The cue (and variations of it) are prominently heard in later episodes like "Don't Open Till Doomsday" and "The Invisibles."

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Really glad you brought that cue up. As far as I know it WASN'T in "The Hundred Days of the Dragon," but it's right there in the original cue sheet. It originated as a cue on Stoney Burke (from the episode "Point of Honor"). The cue (and variations of it) are prominently heard in later episodes like "Don't Open Till Doomsday" and "The Invisibles."
So is the version in Don't Open Til Doomsday just a stock track? I assumed it wasn't because the melody line for that cue also appears several other times in that episode.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
First print attempt kinda sucked, so I started over from scratch. Doubled the resolution, boosted the contrast, did some color correcting for a more unified blue... and viola. Just got the second print back, and it turned out WAY better. I do believe it's now officially wall-worthy (even though it's on the floor in the pic). The pic doesn't do it justice.

19023317_10156369038874698_3854315203763046187_o.jpg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Again, I'm re-posting this blog link for We Are Controlling Transmission for those interested (and excited about this upcoming release). There is a lively review of each episode, where published science fiction writers (who are fans) weigh in on each with analysis, comments, critiques and some comedy. It's great fun to sift through per episode that you want, and it also includes every episode info from the Schow book as a part of the discussion that follows.

http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I can confirm it because it’s official. Kino Lorber will include English subtitles.
Read the announcement
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Outer-Limits-Blu-ray-Edition/23355

Pricing, details, package art and extras (if any) aren't available yet, but the studio plans to include English subtitles with each episode, which will be presented visually in the originally intended 1.37:1 aspect ratio (as they were originally seen on TV). KL also points out that their releases will be "Brand New HD Masters!" and that the episodes currently available for digital streaming in "high def" actually "are up-res of the SD masters" and that the program "has never been remastered in HD" before. So this is a first!

Let's hope we get some nice extras like the ABC promos, the two alternate episodes (Please Stand By and The Unknown)
and the rare pilots by Stevens (Mr. Kingston)* and Stefano (The Haunted)**.

Footnotes
* Leslie Stevens supervised that pilot as writer/director/producer between 1963 and 1964 and we could hear an audio snippet
in the episode of The Outer Limits entitled "The Special One" when the Benjamins watched television.
** Joseph Stefano wrote the script and produced it and, later on, directed it after Robert Stevens left the project.
It was theatrically released as the feature film The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The more I read about this release the more excited I get! It's getting very close to a "Day One" purchase for me. The only thing keeping it from being a done deal is that KL releases usually street higher than others. That makes me want to wait for a sale. As soon as they put up a price I'll know for sure - but, regardless of the price, will put in a pre-order at Amazon simply for their pre-order price protection.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
These new HD transfers should look stunning...I have the old MGM flipper complete series set distributed by Fox, marked "45th Anniversary Edition", and they are surprisingly fine SD transfers...the Monaural Audio is adequate...the older sets were encoded with captions also...

I would think that KL and MGM/UA will elevate this Outer Limits release into the ranks of the absolute best classic B+W American TV series ever given the Blu-ray treatment...like the Honeymooners, Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke Show...I would expect they are working diligently on providing some bonus features, John Hopper's suggested features would be great...hopefully new interviews and commentaries...input from Harlan Ellison perhaps? If he's not too cranky, ha, ha...maybe another headache that KL doesn't want to go out of their way for...understandably...still, I think KL will include what they can afford and logistically provide...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The more I read about this release the more excited I get! It's getting very close to a "Day One" purchase for me. The only thing keeping it from being a done deal is that KL releases usually street higher than others. That makes me want to wait for a sale. As soon as they put up a price I'll know for sure - but, regardless of the price, will put in a pre-order at Amazon simply for their pre-order price protection.

If you think Kino streets high you should see what Shout/Scream factory blus street for. They usually street on Amazon for between $20-$25.00 and rarely ever get below $18.00. Kino titles are normally $15-$16.00 and are frequently on sale for much lower. I know Shout is having a big sale now but it is the first sale I have ever seen them have where the titles actually seem like they are on sale which is why its the 1st time I have ever bought directly from them. Kino is new to TV so it will be interesting to see how they price this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Are you guys aware, I know some are, of a book by David Schow called The Outer Limits at 50? I totally missed it, it came out a couple of years ago. It's over $300 used from sellers on Amazon. I have his companion book of course.

I was wondering what I missed. I saw photos of the book release party and it looked like it was a nice event and the images that appear in the book were on display. It seemed more like a book celebrating the legacy and impact the series had.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Are you guys aware, I know some are, of a book by David Schow called The Outer Limits at 50? I totally missed it, it came out a couple of years ago. It's over $300 used from sellers on Amazon. I have his companion book of course.
I've never laid eyes on this but I got the sense it was less important than the second, significantly expanded edition of The Outer Limits Companion ... which is, alas, also out of print and very expensive. I think David's working on a third edition, although I don't know how far along he is (or even if it's still in the works).

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Outer Limits

S2. Ep. 5 - Demon With a Glass Hand

Robert Culp (I Spy, Columbo), Arlene Martel (ST:TOS - Amok Time), Abraham Soafer (perennial 60's guest star)

Days ago Trent awoke with no memory of his past. Since then, sinister men have pursued him constantly. He manages to stay one step ahead of them by following the advice of... his hand! Made of glass and apparently capable of speech, Trent's hand can answer many of his questions. But it cannot tell him who he is or why his enemies seek him until he finds all of its fingers. The only trouble is, they're in the... hands... of his enemies!

Story by Harlan Ellison. One of my favorite episodes of this classic series. A man on the run with the equivalent of amnesia since he is missing "fingers" of his brain. A fairly effective plot device allowing Culp and Martel a great chance to act while providing exposition. Some great camera work on this episode highlighting the Bradbury Building (Blade Runner).

Squabbles between Ellison and Cameron aside, this is one of the best episodes of this series. Top notch all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks