What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (2 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
None of the small licensing companies restore anything: Kino, Shout, Twilight Time, Criterion. They simply do not have the huge cash needed to do restorations. They all use what is provided to them by the studios. Shout, Kino and Criterion occasionally do new transfers on their own but not restorations. So for Outer Limits it will depend a lot on how good the new HD masters that MGM provides to them are. But that would be the same case no matter which company released it.

The prints of Criterion look amazing, by the way. Oddly enough, Criterion asserts they restore and clean the prints.
See the documentary.
How Criterion Collection Brings Movies Back From the Dead

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This has got to be my favorite Outer Limits publicity photo...a pre-Gunsmoke Buck Taylor emoting furiously in the horrific presence of the "Box Creature" from 'Don't Open Till Doomsday' (Jan. 20, 1964)...insert pooper scooper joke here, but this is one of many great episodes in the series Gothic Horror subset that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid and saw it on first run...the horrific hags depicted by Mirriam Hopkins and Nellie Burt were scary enough on their own...

dont-open-till-doomsday-airdate-january-20-1964-frank-delfino-as-picture-id169130485

Buck the college letterman wades in to battle the Alien who's just looking to "blend frequencies", and destroy humanity...

dont-open-till-doomsday-airdate-january-20-1964-frank-delfino-as-picture-id169130480

Mirriam Hopkins, withered into a deranged hag by waiting 35 years for her beloved to be freed...

dont-open-till-doomsday-airdate-january-20-1964-miriam-hopkins-picture-id169130484

Mirriam Hopkins had a long career in Hollywood, among her films, 'Virginia City', 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' and 'The Heiress'...here she is in her younger years...

hop001.jpg

John Hoyt and Melinda Plowman deal with the irresistible power of the box...

dont-open-till-doomsday-airdate-january-20-1964-john-hoytmelinda-picture-id169130482

dont-open-till-doomsday-airdate-january-20-1964-frank-delfino-as-picture-id169130481

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We better hope instead that Getty Images doesn't catch this Forum for posting its copyrighted images. I've heard that they can be litigious when they want to - to both the poster and the Forum owners.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Don't Open Till Doomsday"... Think about that episode again for a moment because that is one freaky ass story that I can't even begin to get my head around where the writer came up with that concept. And Miriam Hopkins... omg, that is one committed performance (about someone who should be committed).

I read that Joseph Stefano did undergo LSD treatments as Cary Grant did, which were completely legal for psychiatrists to employ at the time in therapeutic treatments (and which were extremely effective, particularly for addictions, until the civilian hippie abuse led to criminalization of the drug). This story had to come out of one of those sessions.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
We better hope instead that Getty Images doesn't catch this Forum for posting its copyrighted images. I've heard that they can be litigious when they want to - to both the poster and the Forum owners.

They are one of the most litigious stock image vendors out there. At least here, the person posting the images hasn't attempted to remove or digitally cover up their watermark, so at least the images are still being attributed to the owner. I know personally of one case where they fined someone for using one of their images illegally, but the orgainsation that did this either cropped-out or otherwise removed the watermark before using it on their website, so that was a clear-cut case of theft.

Hopefully Craig wasn't being serious, because as much as we all might like "clean" images, it would be along the same lines as circumventing copy protection in DVDs and blu-rays.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
From Kino Lorber Studio Classics about The Outer Limits releases

They will be - Season one DVD will be 8 discs and the BD will be 7 discs.
We're sure everyone will be happy with the packaging and new beautiful transfers.

Season 1 will include commentaries from various historians for 16 or 17 episodes
and 40 page booklet - Season 2 will include commentaries for half of the episodes
and will include as many extras as we can get, plus another booklet.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
From Kino Lorber Studio Classics about The Outer Limits releases

They will be - Season one DVD will be 8 discs and the BD will be 7 discs.
We're sure everyone will be happy with the packaging and new beautiful transfers.

Season 1 will include commentaries from various historians for 16 or 17 episodes
and 40 page booklet - Season 2 will include commentaries for half of the episodes
and will include as many extras as we can get, plus another booklet.

That is phenomenal news; thanks for the update, John!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Dominic Frontiere was one of the greatest 1960's composers for television:

Stoney Burke
The Outer Limits
Twelve O'Clock High
Branded
The Rat Patrol
The Invaders

His music was constantly tracked during the fourth season of The Fugitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks