The Orville - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
orville-std-meme.jpg

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I got very similar vibes from those trailers, from the choice of music to the more-serious Orville and the more-humor-laden Discovery clips.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I liked the trailer - didn't like the song. Is it a current "pop" song? I don't recognize it from anywhere - but it fits the mood of The Orville less than the Kravitz song used for Discovery, and I didn't like that one being used for Discovery (although I do like Lenny Kravitz and "Fly Away" - but it's been overused for all kinds of commercials, to the point I'd just as soon not hear it again for a few years).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^ *That* was/is "All Right Now"?!?!? I'm intimately familiar with that song and the song in that trailer for The Orville sounds nothing like it's supposed to sound. I just listened to it again. Now that I know what it's *supposed* to be... It's horrible! An abomination! It's worse than the "Puff Daddy" reworking of Zeppelin's "Kashmir" - and I thought that was pretty bad (I don't care if Paige *did* play on the track - it's horrible!).

Pardon me while I go listen to the original "All Right Now" by Free so as to get that horrid "remake" out of my head!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
And also John Billingsley from Enterprise, and former staff writer Joe Menosky who comes on board as executive producer and writer.

Just how many Star Trek alumni will Macfarlane steal away from the franchise? :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Only thing That version of All Right Now has in common with Free’s version is those three words.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From Digitalspy.com:

Due to scheduling issues, the first season of the show was cut short by one episode to 12, but that 'lost' episode - 'Primal Urges' - is now expected to air with the second season, with MacFarlane also saying that he expects to do "at least" 14 episodes.

"I'd rather do fewer episodes and have them be better content-wise than do 22 and have them be filler," he explained at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Not a fan of this at all. New TV is less episodes per season. I know it is the new normal, but guess what, some of the "filler" episodes of TNG(and many other TV series) were my absolute favorites.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To quote Nicolas Meyer, “art thrives on limitations.”

I think a lot of what I love about TV came from great writers, producers, directors and actors knowing that they had to produce 22 or more episodes per year, and what they came up with as a result of having the operate under those guidelines. I think a lot, not all, but a lot of TV was improved by the showrunners having to hit the ground running and adjusting on the fly.

And then I look, for comparison, to Star Trek Discovery, where the showrunners were allowed to delay and delay nearly two years before they went to air, where they got to write all the scripts before shooting any of them, and where the whole thing was basically in the can before it went out to the public. That show had a lot of issues that could have been resolved if it was being made as a conventional show, where the showrunners could have had the opportunity to see what was and wasn’t working, and adjust along the way. But because it was all done before anyone even saw the first episode, there was nothing to be done about it.

TNG, which is obviously the biggest inspiration for The Orville, succeeded because there was room for trial, error, adjustment and growth. With these short runs all filmed in advance before they even go to air, that opportunity just isn’t there. And to my mind, that makes new TV much more like feature films rather than an evolution of the TV art form. TV as it existed since its creation is being replaced by longer movies doled out in installments, rather than evolving as its own separate format. And I think that’s a shame.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To what Bryan specifically said, a number of my favorite TV episodes from my favorite shows are episodes that were made as filler, or that came together quickly because of budget and time crunches. I tend to love bottle shows too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
To quote Nicolas Meyer, “art thrives on limitations.”

I think a lot of what I love about TV came from great writers, producers, directors and actors knowing that they had to produce 22 or more episodes per year, and what they came up with as a result of having the operate under those guidelines. I think a lot, not all, but a lot of TV was improved by the showrunners having to hit the ground running and adjusting on the fly.

And then I look, for comparison, to Star Trek Discovery, where the showrunners were allowed to delay and delay nearly two years before they went to air, where they got to write all the scripts before shooting any of them, and where the whole thing was basically in the can before it went out to the public. That show had a lot of issues that could have been resolved if it was being made as a conventional show, where the showrunners could have had the opportunity to see what was and wasn’t working, and adjust along the way. But because it was all done before anyone even saw the first episode, there was nothing to be done about it.

TNG, which is obviously the biggest inspiration for The Orville, succeeded because there was room for trial, error, adjustment and growth. With these short runs all filmed in advance before they even go to air, that opportunity just isn’t there. And to my mind, that makes new TV much more like feature films rather than an evolution of the TV art form. TV as it existed since its creation is being replaced by longer movies doled out in installments, rather than evolving as its own separate format. And I think that’s a shame.

Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks