1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Orville - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Francois Caron, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I've been piggybacking on your insights and JoshEH's insights for years now!

That's actually one thing I do miss about longer seasons of television: reading great threads and insightful posts from you lot on the forums. We still have some good threads, but they flare up and die pretty quick with the reduced episode count. I'm not sure we'll ever see again threads like those from the LOST and BSG days...

Glad to have you all here, though, even in smaller doses.

DavidJ and Josh Steinberg like this.
  2. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I get enough of a routine fix from the half hour sitcoms that my wife and I watch, which are all 20-something episodes per season (September through May). We have some hour long ones we watch too, but other than Better Call Saul and Fargo, none of them are good enough in our eyes to worry if there are significantly less episodes in a season. Having entire seasons hitting Netflix all at once is more something that we have a hard time squeezing in, and really makes it hard to get to know the show when it's a new one, and feels unnatural watching a show once over a week or so, then nothing for a year.

As far as Fox not releasing shows on Blu-ray, there are definitely a few titles I would pay to have physical copies of, including The Orville, but DVD only? Absolutely not. I may buy digital, but will give it a while just in case any titles comes to blu that I would want.

3. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I must be the odd man out (again) as I like this cover version.

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Josh Steinberg likes this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As Francois noted, FOX has a late NFL game today, so the starting time of The Orville may be unpredictable. If you're not monitoring the football game, you may want to add extra time to your DVR.

6. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Watching ORVILLE season 2 on TV on Friday here in Australia. Can't wait!

7. Francois Caron

François Caron
    I liked this episode! I don't think Star Trek ever had a "ship's life" style episode where someone wasn't at least in some kind of mortal peril.

One question though. Is the show live-streamed? :D

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Data’s Day

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I was disappointed with the season premiere. It contained three narrative strands which typically are my least favorite plot machinations: 1-bratty kids, 2-pee jokes, 3-overemphasis on dating.

But worst of all, it didn't make me laugh once nor was it dramatic enough to grip the emotions. It was a very blah way to begin a new season after being away a year.

KeithAP and Dheiner like this.
  10. Francois Caron

François Caron
    From the Wikipedia page (emphasis mine):
    :D

SCHEDULING INFO: The next episode is tomorrow night.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    We know that Fox held an episode of the first season to be broadcast during the second season; their reasoning was that they wanted to wrap the show up in December 2017 rather than take a break for several weeks to debut one final episode in January 2018.

My question is, was the episode that aired this Sunday the last episode made during season one, or was it a brand new episode filmed for the second season?

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Looking at the production numbers, the premiere was the first episode of the second production season and tomorrow's episode is the holdover episode from last year.

13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    So that'll potentially be weird -- we left the first season with Ed and Kelly rekindling their feelings for each other, then begin the second season with Kelly already seeing someone new and Ed having just met someone new, and then we go back for an episode to the two of them having feelings for each other and their new partners conspicuously absent?

Why does Fox do these things, over and over, decade in and out? They have killed so many science-fiction oriented shows by airing episodes out of order that needed to be seen in order for the overall storyline to make sense.

BobO'Link and DavidJ like this.
  14. scifianarchy

scifianarchy Auditioning

Bri
    I agree that pacing on this was a bit odd in that respect at first and I keyed into it (seeing if they would explain further) and during the episode, Kelly does tell Ed that she has been seeing someone for about a month when he asked. So some time has gone by, not a lot mind you, but some.

Outside of that, there was quite a bit I liked about the episode, despite the pee jokes.....

As a whole, new shows can experience some glitches. Case in point, the Original Star Trek and the first two seasons of ST: Generations both had some 'rocky' showings prior to the take-off-season 3. That being said, my expectation is that there are going to be things that might not ring 'perfect' from time to time for some viewers.

One thing to keep in mind though is that Seth and Co are just getting their 'legs' and he IS a Big Fan of the Trek genre, adding to that he has surrounded himself with many people from that franchise...

Personally, I am looking forward to the season.

Sci

15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I very much look forward to this season; it was my most anticipated returning show.

That said, I wish that McFarlane would commit to making a full network season's worth of episodes; I understand that it is his philosophical choice to produce fewer episodes with the idea that there would be less filler. But with that said, if the season premiere was his idea of a non-filler episode, well, bring on the filler. I think a certain amount of magic happens when people are forced into the production schedule that a 22 episode season requires, and that there's no better way to discover what you've got than by actually having to produce new episodes on tight schedules. Some of the very best Star Trek episodes and ideas have come out of that limitation, where they had to think on the fly and come up with something in less time and with less resources. I think The Orville would ultimately be a better show if it had to go through a similar production process.

I also wish Fox would stop meddling; airing a season two episode first, which establishes new relationships and characters, and then showing a season one episode without those changes immediately afterwards, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

16. scifianarchy

scifianarchy Auditioning

Bri
    Networks like to do that for some reason, to varying degrees of success and/or failure.

17. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    For me, a better episode than the season premiere. I like the adventure mixed with humor that the show can generate when it wishes.

18. Francois Caron

François Caron
    Luckily, that wasn't a factor. Swapping the two episodes didn't have any effect on the overall storytelling and didn't make it feel as if the show unexpectedly backtracked for a moment with the possible exception of the new navigator who was introduced last Sunday but was missing in this episode.

And after seeing this episode, I'm glad I never got married! :D

19. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I admit I did laugh at the end with the over the top Pon Farr-like urination ritual.

20. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I did NOT like episode 2 - I'm not a prude by any means - but this one was not for me.