What's new

The Orville - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree. In total the episodes seem inconsequential. If it all ended up where it started, I'm not sure what the point was. Give me episodes that have permanent gravity. This seemed very much inside the Roddenberry box, and a large part of what I love about THE ORVILLE is, at least at its best, it's TNG Star Trek outside the Roddenberry box.

Hoping this show gets picked up for season three. I see the ratings were up at the end so hopefully that bodes well. If it gets picked up, I can't wait to see the creative ways FOX tries to kill it for a third year in a row...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The odd part is I'd have been quite happy with the one episode with "past Kelly" making an appearance in spite of the paradox of her meeting her future self. Of course the "mind wipe" takes care of that issue. It showed a bit of character growth with Ed realizing that "past Kelly" is not what he truly wants and he and Kelly admitting they were equally responsible for their breakup. I think Ed finally accepts they can't have a relationship like they had in the past as long as both are serving on The Orville. In the end, it was a throwaway type story that I could accept as a single episode. It was the actual final episode that, for me, threw the baby out with the bathwater. It added nothing to the overall story. Like you said, it's an episode that would have been quite at home on any of the Trek series. What hurts worse is the number of visual effects in that final episode likely came at the expense of a couple of "bottle" episodes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Here's why the seasons are so short when compared to ST:TNG: it's all about the number of visual effects shots.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/04/why-season-2-the-orville-short/

I am in no way, shape or form belittling the number of effects shots or the amount of work that go into them with what I'm going to say.

I understand the number of effects shots is an insane amount. But, and here's the issue for me, effects work today is FAR and AWAY cheaper and "easier" than it was back in any TNG-Trek era. The Orville isn't dealing with models and six different lighting passes. They're not having to create an entire set because of green screen. The Orville has a network budget behind it; Trek was always expensive, but $1 million or so an episode probably pales in comparison to this show.

And, in the long run, I don't want more episodes. I'm happy with what we have. It may not be the best for ratings or viewer engagement, but the days of 20+ episode seasons are quickly going away.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Still dealing with relationships in this latest episode, but it was a fairly novel situation, and it did hold my interest. And a very surprising final reveal. Not quite sure what to make of it.

First time I can remember Bortus and Clydyn having fun and being happy.

Outside of discovering cigarettes.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I was a bit disappointed with these 2 episodes providing the season finale. Mostly because there was little substance or consequences to go along with the eye candy. At least it was excellent in the visual effects department.
I liken Sci Fi time travel stories to an episode of Columbo. It's not about what they do, but how they do it. And these were low on the creative side. But Orville has never been a high concept show anyway. It's really about the characters. And they excel at that this season. And the music in the last two hours was the best I've heard on a network TV show in decades. Worth that alone every week for me. :thumbsup:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm on 2x07 Deflectors and I'm advancing very slowly. I don't know, I'm not enjoying this season as much as I did season one.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
2x09 Identity (2). This episode had a lot of Star Wars like music. I checked the credit and it's Joel McNeely. Now I understand why the score sounded so good.

I repeat again, he made "Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire" score which is the best non John Williams Star Wars score ever composed. No one has come close. I go as far as saying that his score is as good as John Williams'. They should use him for the new Star Wars movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks