What's new

The ONE problem with DVD Profiler as I see it..... (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I thought the review was funny and dead-on. You're right that it has no place in DVD Profiler, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

DVD Empire will have both front and back scans, but they do have the "copywrited material" warning on them and they are not very high resolution anyway.

I'll use the covers from DVD Empire, Amazon or DVD Planet for future releases until either (1) a high resolution version is available for download at DVD Profiler, or (2) I receive the discs and scan in the covers myself (which I then contribute).

Your best bet is to pony up the $25 lifetime registration fee for the program so you can download high resolution cover art directly from DVD Profiler.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I have a question about DVD Profiler for you guys? I just got the program a few days ago and every time I restart my computer it ask me for my registration info when I start the program. Is this normal? If it is, it is a real pain in the a$$.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Some other little quirks that would be nice to be fixed.

There are too many variations of the same Studio or Actor. Just look at the many variations of such studios as Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., or Columbia/ Tri-Star to name just a few. And then there are certain actors listed more than once, when you either try to search by their name or add their role to a movies profile. I especially have noticed this with names with initials for both first and middle or if they have a First name, middle name and their last name. Sometimes, people screw up and put the middle name as part of the first name or as part of the last name.

In regards to Directors, it would be nice if they included a place for their middle name as they do with actors.

It would also be nice if they would add the following into the program. "Video Company" or something similar. This would be to input the name of the company releasing it on DVD. A lot of times the studio releasing it on DVD is completely different from that which originally released or made the film or program. The "Studio" entry should only then be used to input the name of the Studio or company that originally released it theatrically or televised or produced it.

Maybe on the next version they could clean up their database and correct any duplications or errors. Also when putting in an studio or actors info, and the name closely resembles a name in the database, the program would pop up a message with something like "Did you mean (Insert studio or actors name)?"

This would greatly cut down on multiple spelling mistakes or errors from going into the database in the first place.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Will,

All users have to register. There is a free registration available if you want to use the program without paying the $25 for the premium registration.

I used the free version for about a year before I upgraded. It's worth it not only to support the developers of a great product, but gives you access to more 'perks' like hi-res cover scans, the ability to disable the ads, access to beta versions, and there are more premium-only features coming in 2.3, which should be released in beta form any time now.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, someone did write a program at some point to import cast lists from IMDB. Problems come in when you get an actor with the same name. (and the roman numeral system that IMDB uses isn't koser with the guidelines of movie submissions.) So, I haven't noticed too many problems with Hollywood films.

Anime is another ball of wax, tho. When I had more time on my hands, I worked hard at getting the naming conventions more consistant. Course, there are numerous ways of romanisizing japanese names, so errors always appear between different releases as well.

Jason

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
This is a great place to discuss DVDProfiler with other users. But if you have complaints and/or suggestions, you should also make sure you list them at the DVDProfiler site. Otherwise it's just whining.

Plus they just launched their new site yesterday. It's far better than the previous site.

As for new things on the horizon, I know one of their programmers recently quit his full time job so he could devote his attention entirely to the program. So I expect things to get much better in the future.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
BTW, DVD Profiler just greatly improved their website with some improvements to online collections as well.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I personally love DVDPro, nothing else is up to their level. That being said, the databases are out of control with variations of studio and actor names. I lock all of my profiles and correct each one of my new entries when I enter them. I love the amount of info tracked (although I would like more;) ). So, until something better comes along, I will stick with DVDP.

SebastienLX

Agent
It's a little unsettling to see wrong submissions slip through, but with the amount of submissions they get, that's bound to happen. I think an easy way to "fix" this could be to NOT show the "submit to db" dialog everytime someone changes the information about a disc. I mean, how many people just click "yes" all the time to get out of a series of window? Just look at how many spyware/malware take advantage of that on the net.. As I see it, if the program doesn't automatically offer to upload the changes to the database, a lot of people wouldn't even know how to do it manually, which would leave the people that actually do know what they are doing to submit the titles.

And yeah the new website is great! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things I've noticed that have changed re. "Profiler" in the last week. One I like; one I hate. .......

>> Removing the "underlining" of the title links (on the left side of page as viewed via Profiler website). I like this change. Looks better without all the lines under the
titles. :emoji_thumbsup:

>> Apparently (as far as I've been able to tell anyway) NONE of a person's "personalized" descriptions/changes to a particular DVD can now be uploaded to the website. .... Prior to a few days ago, even if you decided to NEVER "refresh" or update any titles, your own "changes" that you had made to any DVD description could still be uploaded to your own collection page. Not now. ALL of the descriptions now come from the database of submitted descriptions/data. :thumbsdown:

However, this does NOT affect the LEFT side of your collection webpage. Any changes made to the TITLE will get uploaded. Somewhat curious.

Perhaps this problem is only inherent to the FREE version of Profiler. I'm guessing the "Premium" users can upload their individual changes. Anyone know for certain?

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
whilst i aggree with some of batty boys comments, this is an inherrent problem with a database maintained by it's users. But we shouldnt forget the massive advantages of this kind of system either, the profiler database is so vast and nearly always up to date because of user contributions. I also aggree that the review isn't badly written, it's actually fairly accurate, the film does suck big time, just that this isn't an appropriate place for a review to be. I love dvd profiler and registered it about a year back, well worth it, it is by far the easiest way i've found of maintaining a database of my collection, that i can easily share with others.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Wish they'd port the damn thing to OSX. They'd get a lot of activity from Mac users.
The lack of anything close on X is a subject much discussed around my pond. Somebody's gonna do well if they get close before intervocative wakes up on this.

E

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
David VP, the changes you describe in the collection web page seem to apply to registered Profiler users (e.g., me) as well as to unregistered users.

I can see my custom titles and sort order in the left-hand pane, but the details in the right-hand pane don't match my local customisations.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It's based on Delphi, which is windows only. I believe IVS has said they'll port it if Delphi is ported.

I just tested lockign and uploading and the information I changed did appear on the website.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You have to lock a title for your custom information to appear on the site. This still works. AFAIK, it's always been this way.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

No, it hasn't.
I've never locked a title, and (before last week) could always upload my customized data to the website (albeit many times it took 2 or 3 "Uploads" to accomplish this -- but it would eventually "take").

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
My grip is still the signal-to-noise ratio that DVD Profiler has these days. It has gotten to the point that I am activley seeking a replacement, but as has been stated in the past, the competition is lacking.

It would be nice to have a cross-platform chice, running under OSX, X windows, and Windows....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks