What's new

The Official Star Wars Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
With the toys and such for The Last Jedi dropping next month, I got to wondering when Walt Disney Records will announce the film's soundtrack and begin allowing retailers to take pre-orders for it.

I expect that it will release the same Friday as the film, so most of us will have seen the film the night before at the first Thursday screenings. That's all fine, but I still plan on pre-ordering it, since a new John Williams score is always cause for celebration. Michael Giacchino did a really good job with Rogue One, but the prospect of new John Williams Star Wars material is always exciting. Typically, I wait to buy soundtracks until after I have seen the film and heard the score in the body of it, but in this case, I know I want it, so I'll pre-order as soon as it is available.

I also pre-ordered the soundtrack for The Force Awakens as soon as it became available, and my Amazon order history tells me that order was placed on September 4, 2015, so assuming they are using the same timetable, we should be getting pretty close to release information about this as well as other products which are going to be timed to the film's release date rather than earlier like the Force Friday toys.

Thankfully, the Amazon/Disney feud does not extend to CDs.
I'm excited about the new score too!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm hopeful that the vinyl release of the last Jedi will be more reasonable than the force awakens.

I keep looking for the force awakens for around $20. Most are $30+.

Does the vinyl version include a digital copy as well?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure if it comes with one, but whenever you buy CDs or vinyl with Amazon, they will almost always include a digital download of MP3s directly from Amazon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, well, well.

Look what's posted....but it's unavailable. This concerns me, because, being a Disney product, it might be indication that the feud is now extending to CDs (God, I hope not.) Or it could just be a placeholder because pre-orders haven't begun yet, but today is the Force Friday drop of all the toys and whatnot, and that's when the Force Awakens CD went up for pre-order in 2015. So...we'll see. I suddenly have more hesitation about pre-ordering this from Amazon than I did yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-La...558&sr=8-11&keywords=the+last+jedi+soundtrack

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The good thing for me is that virtually every Disney item that I buy is Star Wars so all of that stuff is popular enough that I'll be able to pick that soundtrack up at Target or Best Buy after seeing The Last Jedi a second time. I probably would have bought Rebels: S3 from Amazon but I bought it at Best Buy on Tuesday morning.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well, well, well.

Look what's posted....but it's unavailable. This concerns me, because, being a Disney product, it might be indication that the feud is now extending to CDs (God, I hope not.) Or it could just be a placeholder because pre-orders haven't begun yet, but today is the Force Friday drop of all the toys and whatnot, and that's when the Force Awakens CD went up for pre-order in 2015. So...we'll see. I suddenly have more hesitation about pre-ordering this from Amazon than I did yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-La...558&sr=8-11&keywords=the+last+jedi+soundtrack

I picked up the last 2 Star Wars soundtracks from target in store. Day of release for both.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I picked up the last 2 Star Wars soundtracks from target in store.

I know this will be possible, and if need be I will do this also, but but given my current circumstances, it is significantly easier and faster to order something for Prime shipping than to go out to the physical store, so I really hope Amazon puts this up for pre-order and that the feud is not affecting CDs now, too. This is, of course, Walt Disney Records' biggest release for the rest of the year, and Amazon should really want to stock it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I know this will be possible, and if need be I will do this also, but but given my current circumstances, it is significantly easier and faster to order something for Prime shipping than to go out to the physical store, so I really hope Amazon puts this up for pre-order and that the feud is not affecting CDs now, too. This is, of course, Walt Disney Records' biggest release for the rest of the year, and Amazon should really want to stock it.

I loved the exclusive target packaging for the force awakens.
I usually get target and Amazon cards close to the holidays. So either is fine with me too.
Is it know if there is a retailer exclusive for this release?

Force Friday 2 at target was very subdued compared to the first event just a few years ago..

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Whew! I am so glad the Amazon/Disney feud has not extended to this CD after all. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Matt. My pre-order is now in.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Whew! I am so glad the Amazon/Disney feud has not extended to this CD after all. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Matt. My pre-order is now in.

Agreed. I'll wait for target and pick up in store.

Any news on the vinyl release???

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I listened to empire from this set...Star Wars the ultimate soundtrack vinyl lp set.
Wow!

The mastering is really improved from my 1997 CDs!
I didn't realize it was all new mastering until I listened tonight.

I agree with many of this reviewers comments:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8596

I guess this release was kind of missed or downplayed a bit?
I had no idea it wouldn't be so improved!
Too bad they don't master the full scores??

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any chance of a last Jedi soundtrack preview in the next 2 weeks?

My plan is to pick it up at target when it is released.

Although I'm tempted by that Amazon price!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Any chance of a last Jedi soundtrack preview in the next 2 weeks?

I doubt it. They could, but they don't need to -- we're all going to buy it anyway -- and it would run counter to Lucasfilm's spoiler-free stance of keeping as much under wraps as possible. They didn't even put up the track titles until 12:01am on the release date for The Force Awakens soundtrack, much less release clips of any music in advance.

While I understand why some people might want one, I personally don't want a preview and wouldn't listen to one if it were provided. I've got it pre-ordered and don't need to hear anything form it in advance in order to convince me to get it. I'm happy to hear the score for the first time in the body of the film (I'll be seeing it two weeks from tonight, and the CD is releasing two weeks from tomorrow.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks