What's new

The Official Star Wars Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I doubt it. They could, but they don't need to -- we're all going to buy it anyway -- and it would run counter to Lucasfilm's spoiler-free stance of keeping as much under wraps as possible. They didn't even put up the track titles until 12:01am on the release date for The Force Awakens soundtrack, much less release clips of any music in advance.

What's bizarre about that is it was completely unnecessary. TFA's track titles were pretty vague and spoiler free even after the fact.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think I'll preorder.

I usually like to pick it up in store so I have it right away.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I usually like to pick it up in store so I have it right away.

Well, if you're seeing the movie on Thursday night, then there would be no difference between pre-order and in-store pickup since the CD won't release until Friday the 15th anyway.

Amazon pre-orders to Prime customers will (or should) arrive on the release date, which is technically the day after most of us will be seeing the movie (again, assuming you're going to go out for the Thursday evening screenings.)

The other thing I've noticed is that if Amazon adds the AutoRip feature (which isn't there yet for Last Jedi but probably will be closer to the release), then the AutoRip MP3s will be delivered to your library at midnight Eastern time on the day of the release. So, I've been able to access MP3 versions of pre-order albums at 9pm here on the night before release. If they maintain this practice with Last Jedi, then I'll be able to come download the tracks immediately after I get home from seeing the movie, while waiting for the physical CD to arrive the next day.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They had a similar exclusive for Force Awakens. I passed then and I'll pass again now. To me, two cards aren't worth the price increase over Amazon, and the convenience of release date delivery without me having to go look for it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm rewatching the films now in preparation of the new movie, and it's time for Episode III tonight. I absolutely love what John Williams does here - it's some of his very finest work.

They had screenings of Episodes IV - VII at Lincoln Center here with a live orchestra playing the score with the film and I didn't go. But if they had shown Episode III, that I would have seen.

I know Disney does the overnight marathon with the six previous films, but it'd be cool if they let the films play individually for a couple days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They had screenings of Episodes IV - VII at Lincoln Center here with a live orchestra playing the score with the film and I didn't go. But if they had shown Episode III, that I would have seen.

Even though John Williams' work in Episode III is exemplary, a concert screening of Episode III still requires you to have to sit through a terrible movie, which is probably why they nixed concerts of the prequels. When I re-watch, I just go straight to A New Hope. I haven't watched the prequels in years and really don't have any great desire to do so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's my favorite Star Wars movie.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have phrased my point differently. Symphony screenings like that are, still, film screenings, in that even though the orchestra is playing it in front of you, you're essentially still watching the film as well as watching the orchestra. The general public consensus on the Star Wars prequels is not very good, so, although they obviously have a different value to each individual, I suspect that it was probably felt that, as a whole, the prequel trilogy would draw less of a crowd to the concerts than the much more well-liked original trilogy or, obviously, the most recent one in TFA. I can understand why they might think that. Not doing the prequels was almost certainly a business decision.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Actually, I like TPM score the most out of the prequels. AOTC wasn't very good except "Across the Stars". ROTS was a little bit better than AOTC. My ranking:

1. TESB
2. ANH
3. TPM
4. ROTS
5. ROTJ
6. AOTC
7. TFA

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
How do you a live screening of the prequels anyway? Considering how heavily "tracked" with material recorded for other scenes (or in the case of II and III, OTHER movies!) it seems like a performance nightmare.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is there any news on a vinyl version of the last Jedi soundtrack?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not yet, but I would guess it will probably come next year. According to Amazon, the vinyl of The Force Awakens was released May 20, 2016, after the CD, which came out on the same day as the film did.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
How do you a live screening of the prequels anyway? Considering how heavily "tracked" with material recorded for other scenes (or in the case of II and III, OTHER movies!) it seems like a performance nightmare.
It hasn't stopped them from doing live to picture performances of Aliens or Titanic. You match the film edits and go from there.

Neil

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It hasn't stopped them from doing live to picture performances of Aliens or Titanic. You match the film edits and go from there.
That must be a hell of a challenge then. Some of the Star Wars edits are kinda janky to put it mildly. Although Return of the Jedi is easily the worst in that regard.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
That must be a hell of a challenge then. Some of the Star Wars edits are kinda janky to put it mildly. Although Return of the Jedi is easily the worst in that regard.
Well there you go. ROTJ was done in concert. I haven't heard the performance, but I'll bet they matched "Sail Barge Assault" to the picture and used the tracked in "Empire Strikes Back" music for the climax.

Neil

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I woke up to an email from Amazon: "Your Amazon.com order of Star Wars: The Last Jedi has shipped."

After a double take, I realized they were referring to the soundtrack. :laugh:

As of yet, the frequent AutoRip feature has not been added. which means that (unless it's added later today), we won't be able to access the MP3s at midnight with CD pre-order. It would have been nice to get into the new score as soon as I get home from the theater via the download, but, I'll get it tomorrow in the mail,so not long to wait, and I prefer this to getting it released in advance and knowing too much from track titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks