What's new

The Official Star Wars Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
More news that supports John Williams scoring the new SW film (thanks to Darkhorizons.com for the info):Talking with Zap2It, Williams said:"We’ve certainly talked about that, and I’m happy and willing to do it. J.J. Abrams, who will be the director, seems excited about the idea. I have to say that J.J. is a much younger man than I, but I will try to keep up with him as much as I can.""We now have the benefit of all this computer simulation and technical work that wasn’t even possible 20 or 25 years ago. I don’t know how hands-on George Lucas will be — I suspect he will be to some degree — but I can only imagine how excited he must be, to have a director like J.J. have all these tools at his fingertips to produce something even more adventurous technologically. I can’t wait to see what he will do with it."

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Does anybody know where this longer version of "Han Solo and the Princess" came from? It's not on any ESB release that I know of:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For me the Williams's scores were the only bright spots in the prequel trilogy. While I expect episode VII to be much better, another Williams score would justify the movie no matter the quality, in my opinion.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Following my earlier post was treated tonight to the music of John Williams live at the RAH. Nothing like hearing the scores played live to truly appreciate how iconic and wonderful his scores are.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Brilliant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 156

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As I pointed out in the Disney music thread, Walt Disney Records is now releasing the new Star Wars soundtrack. The Force Awakens is up for pre-order at both Amazon and Disney Music Emporium now with a release date of December 18, the same day as the film itself (although technically the film will probably drop first, since it will have Thursday evening screenings presumably.)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The Star Wars soundtrack albums will be re-issued across various formats: CD, vinyl, and high-res download.

http://www.starwars.com/news/sony-classical-to-release-ultimate-editions-of-original-star-wars-soundtracks?linkId=17325604

Amazon has details about the LPs here. Details about the CDs can be found here. It looks to me like the vinyl set will be the original soundtrack albums while the CD set will be the original albums for the prequels and the SE albums for the original trilogy.

I hope the high-res downloads are available at 192/24, since the Amazon LP listing says the album masters were transferred at that rate.

Neil

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I figured it was basically a re-release. With all the weird and minor stuff that gets released, how can the John Williams scored prequels not have expanded releases? I'd think that even the most angry prequel hater would at least say that Williams' work was as good as ever.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So, Yub Nub is on the vinyl versions, but not the CDs or digital downloads?

#yesilikeyubnub

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Josh Steinberg said:
So, Yub Nub is on the vinyl versions, but not the CDs or digital downloads?

#yesilikeyubnub

If the high-res downloads are the album masters (and they should be, as the SE masters were done in the 90s, before high-res digital audio) then "Yub Nub" should be available apart from the vinyl.

Neil

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
So if this is on iTunes, will I be able to listen to it unlimited if I become an Apple Music subscriber when they release an Android app? I've not used a subscription music service before, not sure how that all works.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I'm new to the Star Wars world of soundtrack collecting! I've been collecting many others, but never Star Wars.

With all the mania over The Force Awakens and discussion in the TFA thread about how bad or good the soundtrack is, it got me curious to buy it. But I'm also interested in going for the other 6 films.

I just did a short search and see there is a release of the OT with the full scores but the prequels are only partial scores. That's unfortunate. There was a post that an indie company in Europe does do the full-on PT scores.

However, I came across a listing of a new set coming in January 2016 or so of all 6 scores in a box set. As far as I can tell, this box is a repackaging of the existing current releases plus some interviews.

So the question to you experts, is this set a good idea for someone like me who doesn't have any of the Star Wars sets? Seems like a nice way to go to get all 6 scores. Also with the caveat that the prequel scores are not the complete scores. There's some nice tracks to those films.

Any insights is appreciated, thanks!

Also, interesting that the Williams score for TFA is also available as FLAC or ALAC or WAV or AIFF at 192/24 from HDtracks.com.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Nelson Au said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the Star Wars world of soundtrack collecting! I've been collecting many others, but never Star Wars.

With all the mania over The Force Awakens and discussion in the TFA thread about how bad or good the soundtrack is, it got me curious to buy it. But I'm also interested in going for the other 6 films.

I just did a short search and see there is a release of the OT with the full scores but the prequels are only partial scores. That's unfortunate. There was a post that an indie company in Europe does do the full-on PT scores.

However, I came across a listing of a new set coming in January 2016 or so of all 6 scores in a box set. As far as I can tell, this box is a repackaging of the existing current releases plus some interviews.

So the question to you experts, is this set a good idea for someone like me who doesn't have any of the Star Wars sets? Seems like a nice way to go to get all 6 scores. Also with the caveat that the prequel scores are not the complete scores. There's some nice tracks to those films.

Any insights is appreciated, thanks!

Also, interesting that the Williams score for TFA is also available as FLAC or ALAC or WAV or AIFF at 192/24 from HDtracks.com.
As an introduction to the joy of the Star Wars soundtracks, the repackaged edition from Sony is worthwhile. I have so many editions it isn't even funny, and while some have complained about the editing in the versions included of the OT, the music is just so wonderful. The only soundtrack of the prequel trilogy to get an expanded treatment was The Phantom Menace, and it can be snagged on the secondary market at a good price. People were upset at the editing of that edition too, but I am still a fan of it.

I say grab that edition from Sony (it's about $60 on Amazon at the moment), you won't be sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks