What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I received Star Trek III - not sure how I missed it before, but I am very glad to have it.

I was looking at the Intrada website, and for ST4 it says that it was recorded mixed to down to 3 track - front, center, left for "film dubbing". That film has plenty of music in the surrounds, I am wondering how that was derived. In 1986, the 35mm prints would have been matrixed Dolby Surround, but I did see that film in a 70mm blow-up at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome, which may have had true multi-track sound. Anyway, just curious how that process worked back then.

ST4Q.JPG

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Having now listened to all of ST3, I think my favorite cut is the LP version of "Stealing the Enterprise". I like it better as an aural experience than the film version, but I totally understand why the filmmakers decided that the violins in the first 30 seconds were too busy, the pulse in the lower registers gives it plenty of energy on screen. But those violins sure are impressive to listen to.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The blu-rays are all modern day remixes so I wouldn't trust em. At release STIII was issued with 4.1 and 2.0 (4.0 LTRT) sound mixes. I would assume the center channel on the LCR film mix of the soundtrack was what was used for the surround channel as needed.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Larry Nemecek is reporting that composer Gerald Fried has died. He just turned 95 the other day. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him and see him rehearse and later perform his Star Trek music in person. It was a thrill for me and I know the audience enjoyed it, too.

He scored one episode in season one, a partial score for Shore Leave. The producers used it to great effect in This Side of Paradise. His love theme was so effective it led to him getting more work in season two.

His music was the sound of season 2 for me. His scores for Catspaw, Friday's Child and of course Amok Time made their mark on that year of television. I've seen plenty of documents that say he wasn't originally going to score Amok Time, but I'm sure we're all glad he ultimately did. I can't imagine a more iconic score.

He scored one final episode, The Paradise Syndrome, in season three. It's another terrific score and I challenge anyone to not get choked up when hearing his music for Miramanee's death.

I'm typing this listening to Catspaw. I never get tired of this music. He'll live on as long as people continue to listen and enjoy his music.

Rest in peace, Mr. Fried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks