What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've been doing some second-season listening today, mostly music from Amok Time and The Doomsday Machine. I just finished "Vulcan Biology/Pon Farr" (very dissonant) and "Resignation/Lazarus Returned/Pig's Eye" (from Amok Time) (Star Trek: The Original Series Soundtrack Collection, season two, disc one). It continues to amaze me which images (very often from multiple episodes of TOS) are conjured up whenever one hears some of the segments from this wonderful collection.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those two are great scores Scott! They are some of my favorite tracks! I've just finished watching a third season marathon as you know. Those early third season episodes have some amazing scores and they have their own personality apart from the first and second seasons.And maybe this is obvious to everyone. I listen to the actual episodes themselves as files in my car, then I played some of the TOS Star Trek Soundtrack sets and its amazing how much better the fidelity is on those. With all the sound mixing and goings on, the audio quality of the episodes themselves went down.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been going back and forth listening to: The Search for Spock, Wrath of Khan, The Motion Picture (3 disc set) and Into Darkness.

I still marvel at how wonderful it is to have that 3 disc set of The Motion Picture soundtrack. Great stuff.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Speaking of those films, I'll be watching The Wrath Of Khan today. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Thanks for sharing. I believe Carabimero wanted to do this, if memory serves. I will be curious to see how all of the edits -- good and bad -- will be handled (assuming that the person doing it really wants every score for each episode to be identical to that which we have now when we watch and listen to them).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee! I actually started trying to do one cue sheet for City on the Edge of Forever because I thought it might be the easier ones using tracked and new scored bits. I undertook this shortly after the discs came out and it's been tough! I got as far as the point after they first beam down and identified every track used, including the timing. It's a lot of work! There are a lot of tracks used or parts of tracks! So it takes time to identify the bits used. I can put that into an Excel spreadsheet and share it if I finish it, but my efforts may have been for naught now. :)I'll have a look at your link Lee.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been listening to Star Trek TMP, Khan and Search for Spock lately. They are such fine scores!!

Any news on a Nemesis re-issue?

How much missing music was left off of the original 2009 Trek score and Into Darkness?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I just saw this on a friend's FB page. This and Best of Both Worlds will be my first CD purchases in a long time...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This will be a nice addition to the Star Trek score collections by Jerry Goldsmith.Neil, I recall an earlier version of this album had a hybrid release with an SACD version that I missed out on. Looks like this is not an SACD hybrid here?Regardless, this should be a fun release and bookends with The Motion Picture.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I got a nice early Christmas present from a good friend tonight: the new Limited Edition Superman Returns CD from LaLaLand AND the 3-disc TMP Limited Edition. There's no way I get through either of them tonight (it may take me a good week to listen to TMP from start to finish).

This is the same friend who got me the TNG Collection Volume 1 two years ago for Christmas. Someone knows me very, very well.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
That TMP release is just wonderful - you are going to have a great time listening to it all.

I am spinning the Superman Returns expanded release this morning (it arrived last night along with Bear McCreary's Defiance score). Ottman's score is good stuff even though his reverence for William's work takes over from his own voice at times.
Jason_V said:
I got a nice early Christmas present from a good friend tonight: the new Limited Edition Superman Returns CD from LaLaLand AND the 3-disc TMP Limited Edition. There's no way I get through either of them tonight (it may take me a good week to listen to TMP from start to finish).

This is the same friend who got me the TNG Collection Volume 1 two years ago for Christmas. Someone knows me very, very well.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I started playing Superman Returns before going to bed last night and I was super excited to hear the WB fanfare is actually a part of the score. Great little touch and it brought a smile to my face.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
That TMP release is just wonderful - you are going to have a great time listening to it all.

I am spinning the Superman Returns expanded release this morning (it arrived last night along with Bear McCreary's Defiance score). Ottman's score is good stuff even though his reverence for William's work takes over from his own voice at times.
Agreed. I listen to the TMP score quite a bit. I still can't believe I own it at times. A 3 cd set of TMP!! So cool.

The only hole I have in my Trek film soundtrack collection is the LE of Star Trek 2009, which is OOP.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been in a TMP mood the past few days since the Dec 7 anniversary. My favorite tracks in the set, aside from the entire score to the film, is the early version of The Enterprise. I keep thinking of Jerry Goldsmith talking about how Robert Wise didn't like that version and could not quite put his finger on why, and then saying how it's so bombastic and that it lacked a theme. Amazingly, if he had already written the title track, then that theme became so strong through out the score! I still find that early version of The Enterprise and the track that follows of the Enterprise launch, so cool to listen to. It's almost there, and yet has some neat parts to it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
I've been in a TMP mood the past few days since the Dec 7 anniversary. My favorite tracks in the set, aside from the entire score to the film, is the early version of The Enterprise. I keep thinking of Jerry Goldsmith talking about how Robert Wise didn't like that version and could not quite put his finger on why, and then saying how it's so bombastic and that it lacked a theme. Amazingly, if he had already written the title track, then that theme became so strong through out the score! I still find that early version of The Enterprise and the track that follows of the Enterprise launch, so cool to listen to. It's almost there, and yet has some neat parts to it.
Agreed. Great stuff and I'm glad they included the early score work on the TMP set!!!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I just watched the TNG season 5 Blu-ray interview with composers Ron Jones, Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway. This was very illuminating, to say the least.I always wondered why TNG's score was so generally bland, and now it's clear that the show's producers were musical morons. Imagine telling a composer on the spot to change it up and tone it down... It was written that way! You'd have to be Mozart to improvise a totally reimagined score on-demand. The producers sounded very against having emotional cues or even themes. Totally baffling. And here I thought it was the composers' fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks