What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (2 Viewers)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Sooty, having an 900K dinner so real blows 4k 8k resolution tv out the water.

10393862_10152983432810149_1801206843412008836_n.jpg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
questrider said:
I'll have to post a few pictures of my bloodthirsty creatures this week. I know they are secretly planning my demise so one never knows how long I have to share their identities with all of you. :blink: :)

I realized this afternoon that I proclaimed back in September that I would post pictures of my diabolical felines before my demise and didn't follow through. I think their plans are coming together so I think I should get these out there so the guilty can be picked out of a lineup later when the time comes.

This is Smudge and he is 18½ years old. An old man and a kind soul.

smudge_01.png

smudge_02.png

This is Maya. She's approximately six years old and a feisty whippersnapper. She's the brains behind Operation Finito.

maya_01.png

maya_02.png

Just look how innocent she thinks she is. She's fooling no one, least of which me. I'm on to her and sleep with one eye open!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
questrider said:
I realized this afternoon that I proclaimed back in September that I would post pictures of my diabolical felines before my demise and didn't follow through. I think their plans are coming together so I think I should get these out there so the guilty can be picked out of a lineup later when the time comes.

This is Smudge and he is 18½ years old. An old man and a kind soul.

smudge_01.png

smudge_02.png

This is Maya. She's approximately six years old and a feisty whippersnapper. She's the brains behind Operation Finito.

maya_01.png

maya_02.png

Just look how innocent she thinks she is. She's fooling no one, least of which me. I'm on to her and sleep with one eye open!
Great pics. How is Smudges health at 18 1/2? My longest living cat made it to 16 before kidney problems set in. My current buddy is 10.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Smudge has lost a bit of weight in the last couple of years to where he is really too thin considering he used to be a 12-13 lb. cat. But that's expected now that he's geriatric. And nowadays he's interested in eating all the time to the point where any time I get up he races to the kitchen and meows incessantly like a siren. I also suspect he's lost a bit of his hearing. Either that or he's just ignoring me in his old age. Other than that, he still runs around, plays with a laser pointer or anything on the end of a string, and uses the litter box (which is tucked away in the basement). I know what you mean about kidney problems though because that's usually a sign that the end is near as I've experienced that with some long-lost cats in my past. That's the proverbial hammer I keep waiting to fall because once that sets in and they stop using the litter box it's essentially—and sadly—over.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Perhaps my favorite pic ever taken with a cell phone. Shultz in his new favorite pouncing spot:

Shultzies favorite spot by Kadath, on Flickr

He climbs around on the 2nd floor railing which scares the hell out of everyone who sees him do it but there is no way for me to constantly stop him...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While I don't remember us having any luck with it when we tried it once, there's some sort of formula that you can buy to spray on something that you want to deter them from bothering.

Maybe it would cure his risky behavior if he smelled that on the upstairs railing.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
LeoA said:
While I don't remember us having any luck with it when we tried it once, there's some sort of formula that you can buy to spray on something that you want to deter them from bothering.

Maybe it would cure his risky behavior if he smelled that on the upstairs railing.

What I've read but have not tried, is orange peels, I can attes that cats do not like citrus-sy things so rubbing the underside of an orange peel may deter a cat from scratching things. I know I tried one with an orange peel to put it up to my cat's head and he kind of took off so that sounds like it could work.

Jay

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We have had success sticky tape. Cats hate sticky so they will avoid the area. The only issue we found was the side that stuck to the furniture left a bit of residue.

You can get strips of this tape at any pet store.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Interesting thread; just read back a few pages.

I haven't had a cat since I was a child and realize now that it didn't really have proper care. I didn't know enough as a child, and my parents only let me have a cat to appease me.

So I've been reading some books and looking at catforum for the last 18 months or so. I finally have a pet-friendly place and am able to have a cat(s) again. For some reason, I have great anxiety. It is such a big responsibility caring for a livng thing and I haven't taken the step yet. But I did purchase a cat tree (not assembled yet), which to me was my commitment to the idea. I don't know how some people just impulsively pick up a pet because it's a big decision for me. Part of me also wants to get 2 kittens so they can have companionship and grow up together. But perhaps going from 0 to 2 is too big a step.

In any case, I enjoy reading about your cats and the photos. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Elizabeth S said:
I finally have a pet-friendly place and am able to have a cat(s) again. For some reason, I have great anxiety. It is such a big responsibility caring for a livng thing and I haven't taken the step yet.
Most cats that don't get adopted get....well you can guess. A good heart and some effort makes up for any mistakes.

I like to adopt cats from shelters at age 4 or so...you can see their personalities by then and they are otherwise hard to place.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's great. Take your time and understand what you are committing to. Cats can live up to 20 years (most live for 12 or more) so you have to understand the level of that commitment. Besides food, litter, and toys, also consider that they need regular checkups and other vet expenses. If you are comfortable with all that then by all means, get a kitten (or two :) ).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I went from never having cats completely (I was mildly allergic growing up and my sister was worse) to 2 5mo kittens about 7 years ago. Yeah, kind of a big jump but not hard and I am sooooooo glad i did. I got my third cat like 1.5 years ago so now I have 3, 2 7 year old cats and 1 1.5 year old one.

If you get a chance and like to read.. There is a very interesting book by a british author John Bradshaw called Cat Sense that is an anthrozoologist's take on the evolution of cats. The chapter on anatomy was very interesting to me and I'm almost done reading it. Recommended for serious cat people to learn why cats do certain things. It is a british cat daddy so it seems most brits have indoor/outdoor cats whereas a lot of US cat people have mostly indoor cats so his perspective is slightly different but in a minor sort of way.

Jay

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
two cats would be my recommendation and litter mates if you manage it. The companionship and antics that they will share with you will really pay off for years...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
100% agree with Christopher. My two came from his cat's litter =) They entertain each other and don't combat as much as other unrelated cats do, tho there is always a struggle for dominance and prime human attention time.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thank you for the comments, guys!! I will let you know how things go. . .

Dennis, I still remember talking with you about Fluffy Pumpkin many years ago.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's so difficult to get kitties to pose for photos. That's really the only good "portrait" photo I have of Fluffy Pumpkin. And that was back in the days of chemical film photography so none of us took as many pictures as we do now with digital cameras. I suppose I should spend more time trying to get some good shots of Condoleezza and Duke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks