What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I received a notification about a new release of Snow White for its 85th. Is it known if this is the same transfer as the previous blu-ray? I would go for it if it has been improved somehow, but I have the previous blu.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is it known if this is the same transfer as the previous blu-ray?
Disney used the same transfer for both of its previous releases. I don't know anything, but I don't really see a reason to expect them to change it now. Your post is the first I've heard of this, but I'm guessing it is probably a repackaging of the existing disc perhaps with a new slipcover or something. Disney doesn't seem particularly interested in doing new stuff with catalog titles at this point.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Disney used the same transfer for both of its previous releases. I don't know anything, but I don't really see a reason to expect them to change it now. Your post is the first I've heard of this, but I'm guessing it is probably a repackaging of the existing disc perhaps with a new slipcover or something. Disney doesn't seem particularly interested in doing new stuff with catalog titles at this point.
New cover art and a "new" special feature ...
1641532683970.png

How could anyone possibly resist? ;)

From DMC website

Product Detail​

Product # 2320500

Rating: G

Available to own 3/22/22.

Disney Movie Club Exclusive Cover Art and Bonus Content. While Supplies Last.

Includes Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Code of the movie.

Temporary price reduction. Save over $4! Counts as 1 regular priced title & 1 unit toward minimum purchase commitment. Not eligible for additional discounts.

Reserve online and get a free collectible lithograph. Add title to cart and look for your lithograph at checkout. Limit of 3 per order. Size 6.75" x 5". Design may vary. Not available for individual sale. While supplies last. Offer subject to expiration.

Digital Code Terms:
Digital Code redemption requires prior acceptance of license terms and conditions. Code is only for personal use and redemption is limited to recipient of the combination package or a family member. Codes may not be sold separately. Code subject to expiration. Visit MoviesAnywhere.com, RedeemDigitalMovie.com and disneytermsofuse.com or FoxRedeem.com (as applicable), for Code redemption and other applicable terms and conditions. Movies Anywhere is only available to U.S. residents.

Plot Summary

No film in history has captured the world's imagination like Walt Disney's first full-length animated masterpiece. To celebrate its 85th Anniversary, this Club Exclusive release includes the Original 1937 Theatrical Movie Poster Art plus a Blu-ray Disc with New Bonus Content "10 Ways Snow White Changed Animation Forever". Take a look back at 10 of the "firsts" Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs launched, not only for animation but for the whole movie industry.

Join the beautiful princess Snow White as she escapes her jealous stepmother, the queen, and befriends a lovable group of dwarfs. But when she falls under the queen's wicked spell, only true love's kiss can save her.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll give them credit where credit is due. That artwork is much nicer than the covers for any of the previous Blu-ray editions.

But it's not enough to get me to double dip. I'm still good with my original Diamond Edition.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I received a notification about a new release of Snow White for its 85th. Is it known if this is the same transfer as the previous blu-ray? I would go for it if it has been improved somehow, but I have the previous blu.

Nothing known except for the picture and listing of a new extra.

Strong expectations would be that's it's the same item with a new cover and removing all the Signature Edition markings. just like the recent BatB Exclusive release and recent Hunchback, Brother Bear, and Atlantis releases which were basically repeats adding only a Digital Copy.

Also expected sometime in mid-late February is the re-release of 1967 Jungle Book. Virtually nothing is know about this other than it's listed on the same Canadian site as Chip N Dale was listed, but only a prebook date -- not even a presumed release date. This appears to be a non Signature Edition and probably will not be an exclusive. Again I would expect this to be pretty much the same as the prior releases -- 2022 would be the 55th Anniversary so there is some logic to a new release and the fact it is the only major US Canon film without a current Bluray though Fun and Fancy Free (and non canon Reluctant Dragon) seems to have now been removed from US distribution.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Trying to do the enrollment online and mixing DVD and BD is more difficult to be sure -- might be impossible if items are available in both DVD and BD. The signup site just lists titles and not formats so when you pick your 5 initial items the site is going to ask you at the next step whether you want DVD or BD as a group and it's going to try to force all into into one format. The main website for members very clearly distinguishes formats.

If you want very specific formats of each item, it would probably be easiest to do the signup over the phone. The same promotional codes should be active, but I do find it slower esp if you get a newer employee who has to confirm each step. The phone signup does make picking the Bonus items easier though. Just make sure to confirm the promo code is applied properly and before hanging up have them read back the items and formats to make sure it's entered properly

Honestly, it's not really that complex overall once you get signed up and plenty of advice is available here and Bluray.com if you are trying to do something a bit more complicated
Most helpful! Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Finally joined today - busy over the holidays, wanted to preview The Watcher In The Woods & Something Wicked This Way Comes, and figure out other selections. I had trouble finding a seventh title until I realized I do not own Flight Of The Navigator on Blu!
But had it confused with The Last Starfighter, another mid-80s sci-fi. (Also explains why I didn't recall it being out-of-region( :
I went the phone sign-up route which was nice - they answered any questions and provided a promo code since the ones I had expired with year's end it seems. Found I could initially determine DVD or Blu availability by filtering DVD or Blu which lets you know which ones' format is odd ball out so to speak - I did end up with all Blu-Ray discs, btw.
The 2 big surprises for me were Return To Oz is available on Bluray. Yay! And The Hardy Boys: The Mystery Of The Applegate Treasure, while available on Blu, is not eligible as part of seven introductory picks. Alice In Wonderland: Special Un-Anniversary Edition (1951) 2 disc also not an option for sign-up purchases I was told. Another 2-disc set, Celebrating Mickey, a Blu-ray/DVD combo, falls into that same category.

My 5 choices, in no particular order:
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
The Watcher In The Woods
Return To Oz
Flight Of The Navigator

+2:
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
The Strongest Man In The World

(Missing is the other Medville College kids movie, Now You See Him, Now You Don't, which must be trapped somewhere in the Disney vault. It's the only of the three not yet available on Blu Ray).

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Correct -- The 3rd Dexter Riley isn't on BD or DVD in DMC It has been one of the long time requests so still some hope.
I think was on standalone DVD, but appears to be OOP. It is a part of the Kurt Russel 4 Film Collection -- Movies We Remember: Kurt Russell

Incorrect -- Hardy Boys: Mystery of Applegate has not been released on Bluray

Alice In Wonderland: Special Un-Anniversary Edition (1951) DVD -- I didn't know it wasn't enrollment eligible
Alice 60th Anniversary BD is eligible
Alice 65th Anniversary (BD Exclusive with Digital Copy) isn't enrollment eligible

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Your interest in the DVDs got me thinking about the lists again since 95% of the discussion is centered around Blurays.

DMC Online enrollment choices always default to Bluray IF the item has been coreleased AND both items are enrollment eligible. I can't find a way around that. There used to be a way to force the choice by using the catalog number to search fro the specific item/format, but that doesn't work for most items any longer. So the direct Phone Signup is the only way to accomplish that if you have a specific mix in mind

Anyway since you are interested in the DVDs-- there are still approx 50 of the DMC DVD Exclusives still in print.
Hardy Boys, Polly and the sequel, So Dear to My Heart (though a ton of requests to get this to BD), the Mr Boogedy pair, etc. Unfortunately in the last year or so about 6-8 of the DVD items have gone OOP and been removed from the site (esp Condorman and Rob Roy)

The Google Doc from bluray.com can be quite helpful if you download it and then you can filter it whichever way you want -- I think if you sort on column G, one of the categories is Exclusives
DMC Master List

One of my favorite of the Exclusives is an old Ray Bradbury sourced story with a stellar cast -- Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. Maybe not, but it always made me wonder if the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was influenced at all by the Bradbury story. Ice Cream Suit was a TV Movie and not as well reviewed (good reason) as the Traveling Pants movie, but is still hard for me to forget

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
One of my favorite of the Exclusives is an old Ray Bradbury sourced story with a stellar cast -- Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. Maybe not, but it always made me wonder if the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was influenced at all by the Bradbury story. Ice Cream Suit was a TV Movie and not as well reviewed (good reason) as the Traveling Pants movie, but is still hard for me to forget
We saw "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" at the Pasadena Playhouse" with Bradbury in attendance. It was awful. I vaguely remember the Times stating that it was borderline racist. In any case it was not good theater, or even good Bradbury.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Correct -- The 3rd Dexter Riley isn't on BD or DVD in DMC It has been one of the long time requests so still some hope.
I think was on standalone DVD, but appears to be OOP. It is a part of the Kurt Russel 4 Film Collection -- Movies We Remember: Kurt Russell

Incorrect -- Hardy Boys: Mystery of Applegate has not been released on Bluray

Alice In Wonderland: Special Un-Anniversary Edition (1951) DVD -- I didn't know it wasn't enrollment eligible
Alice 60th Anniversary BD is eligible
Alice 65th Anniversary (BD Exclusive with Digital Copy) isn't enrollment eligible
Thanks. Now You See Him, Now You Don't was the only DVD of the trilogy presented in widescreen - I'm anxious to see what they've done with the other two on Blu.
I saw your post the other day and right away ordered The Hardy Boys, Applegate Treasure. (I had asked the operator specifically if 'the title is available on bluray, but just the dvd for signup?' I realize now she was only answering latter part of question. Yes, they can answer any questions, but I'd advise caution quoting publicly).
I plan to order Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary Edition for my final commitment title. I don't need digital copy (65th Anniv.) and although quite similar like the artwork a little better. (Also plan to purchase Return To Oz DVD @ discounted price. The DVD is in widescreen and pretty good PQ).
I didn't ask what the new promo code is (should be on my packing slip?), but this one comes with Dalmations blanket, btw.

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Anyway since you are interested in the DVDs-- there are still approx 50 of the DMC DVD Exclusives still in print.
Hardy Boys, Polly and the sequel, So Dear to My Heart (though a ton of requests to get this to BD), the Mr Boogedy pair, etc. Unfortunately in the last year or so about 6-8 of the DVD items have gone OOP and been removed from the site (esp Condorman and Rob Roy).
Actually have never watched but previewed a few minutes of Condorman a couple weeks ago. Seems an unlikely candidate for upgrade but would be nice on Bluray with it's aerial footage and landscapes..

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Actually have never watched but previewed a few minutes of Condorman a couple weeks ago. Seems an unlikely candidate for upgrade but would be nice on Bluray with it's aerial footage and landscapes..
I would love a blu ray of Condorman but Disney isn't very interested in their 1950's-1980's live action catalog either on blu ray or Disney plus unfortunately.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Now You See Him, Now You Don't was the only DVD of the trilogy presented in widescreen - I'm anxious to see what they've done with the other two on Blu.
I saw your post the other day and right away ordered The Hardy Boys, Applegate Treasure. (I had asked the operator specifically if 'the title is available on bluray, but just the dvd for signup?' I realize now she was only answering latter part of question. Yes, they can answer any questions, but I'd advise caution quoting publicly).
I plan to order Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary Edition for my final commitment title. I don't need digital copy (65th Anniv.) and although quite similar like the artwork a little better. (Also plan to purchase Return To Oz DVD @ discounted price. The DVD is in widescreen and pretty good PQ).
I didn't ask what the new promo code is (should be on my packing slip?), but this one comes with Dalmations blanket, btw.

Pretty much all the current Best Promo codes (FS and max 3 Commitments) have the Dalmatians Blanket. I actually like the 'Blanket" though it's really more a decoration or Toddler Blanket -- even my wife mentioned it when she saw it. It;s not really made for frequent use or Washing -- 36x50 if I remember. OTOH, I really really wish they'd add some new one's -- I really don't need 3 or 4 of the same Blanket.

Would be great, but even the DVD is now OOP and commanding large dollars on the reseller market.

The new regime at Disney seems to be expanding the offerings a bit so maybe there's hope for a lot of the older titles
There are a number of Hayley Mills titles that have long been near the top of the request list

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The other two are 1.66:1 on Blu-ray. As far as I know, all three were originally 1.75:1 (which was fairly normal for Disney at the time).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The other two are 1.66:1 on Blu-ray. As far as I know, all three were originally 1.75:1 (which was fairly normal for Disney at the time).

And then on top of that, the overwhelming majority of theaters in that era were equipped to show films at 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, so 1.66:1 or 1.75:1 would have been 1.85:1 for all practical purposes.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Have a nice little Disney on Blu collection now. Introductory deal better but picking up a few doubles at the 60% off price - still a good value. Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, Hardy Boys-Applegate Mystery, So Dear To My Heart, Return To Oz, also ordered a couple copies of Treasures title, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit! I saw that Mr. Boogedy was still available - so considering a second copy, I finally watched the DVD I purchased years ago... And quickly ruled that out - sub-par, imo. Watched the whole film but only part of Bride of Boogedy which seemed a further fizzle.
On the upgrading to Blu-Ray front, I thought that Princess Of Thieves (2001) might also make a good candidate until I saw it was filmed @ 1.33:1 (according to IMDb), making it a somewhat less appealing choice.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hope we see more classic live action titles on Blu-ray this year from DMC! Particularly anxious for That Darn Cat (‘65), The Moon-Spinners (‘64), and Summer Magic (‘63) to completely upgrade the Hayley Mills section of my Disney live action collection :biggrin:
That Darn Cat and The moon-Spinners are at least on Disney plus but Summer Magic hasn't been released on Blu Ray or Disney plus despite a new HD master being available. It was shown on TCM 3-4 years ago. But there are quite a few Disney live action movies with HD masters available for digital download and/or were shown on TCM that are not available on Blu Ray or Disney Plus for some strange reason. Not being on Disney Plus is even more disappointing when the early promise of that service was that everything would be available. They are missing around a 100 movies probably more from 1950's - early 1980's. In 2020 they added 5 or 6 of these titles so the hope was since they were just starting that they would add more later. But in 2021 they only released 3 classic live action films and so far nothing this year and nothing announced as coming so it appears they have very little interest.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
On the upgrading to Blu-Ray front, I thought that Princess Of Thieves (2001) might also make a good candidate until I saw it was filmed @ 1.33:1 (according to IMDb), making it a somewhat less appealing choice.

The DVD is 1.33 however, but not sure if it was Pan/Scan or Open Matte. It was a made for TV project by Granada (BV/Disney broadcast in US, ITV in EU) so hard to know what the original intended ratio was. I suspect a Granada production in 2001 it was likely meant to be 1.78 but TV Safe so it could be opened up for US TV

The only BDs I can find are German and French editions which are 1.78, but not released by Disney and no indication of the Region Code status. Teh French disc is released by Elephant Films which has been known to put out some excellent products.

The French disc is sold/shipped by Amazon.com via a 3rd party ($25) and they list it as Region Free.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
The DVD is 1.33 however, but not sure if it was Pan/Scan or Open Matte. It was a made for TV project by Granada (BV/Disney broadcast in US, ITV in EU) so hard to know what the original intended ratio was. I suspect a Granada production in 2001 it was likely meant to be 1.78 but TV Safe so it could be opened up for US TV

The only BDs I can find are German and French editions which are 1.78, but not released by Disney and no indication of the Region Code status. The French disc is released by Elephant Films which has been known to put out some excellent products.

The French disc is sold/shipped by Amazon.com via a 3rd party ($25) and they list it as Region Free.
(I realized later but too late to edit) just because IMDb lists as 1.33:1 doesn't mean it was originally filmed fullscreen. It would seem odd for something from 2001. Thanks for all the info - not sure yet if I'll purchase foreign release but does make it a good candidate in my book for upgrade to blu since better aspect ratio seems to be available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks