What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3 vast libraries all collecting dust now

And it seems like everything is slowing down these days outside of the boutique labels

This is Columbia's 100th Anniversary, it's the end of the first quarter and all we got was an announcement for ... 100 digital titles.

This is MGM's 100th Anniversary, there was some speculation Warner might release some titles to celebrate, and at the end of the first quarter, nothing from that studio or MGM's classic library has been announced.

We got some great news today from Paramount, but even their PRESENTS line has been on a slight decline with each passing year.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
And it seems like everything is slowing down these days outside of the boutique labels

This is Columbia's 100th Anniversary, it's the end of the first quarter and all we got was an announcement for ... 100 digital titles.

This is MGM's 100th Anniversary, there was some speculation Warner might release some titles to celebrate, and at the end of the first quarter, nothing from that studio or MGM's classic library has been announced.

We got some great news today from Paramount, but even their PRESENTS line has been on a slight decline with each passing year.

Columbia's 100th is a bust, MGM's is non existing, and now Columbia which after this weekends bomb with Madame Web want's to handle another studio's library and it's acquisition.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I think that’s sadly where the physical media market is - it’s been declining year after year for over a decade. When Warner and Universal filed the paperwork about five years ago to form their joint venture, SDS, that filing indicated that the companies believes physical media sales would continue declining until it was no longer a viable business - and they felt that combining resources then would allow them to last another ten years. We’re halfway through that period and that seems like it was dead on - it anything, the decline may be happening faster than that. I think we as enthusiasts and collectors sometimes miss what’s happening among the general public and how quickly they’ve moved past being interested in physical media.

Anecdotally, I’m a father of four year old twins. When I was that age myself, most every family that age had a VHS library of Disney films for the kids. 20 years ago, families had DVD collections instead. Now - I have a bunch of those classic Disney films on disc and I’m the only parent in my kids’ classes that does. I can’t loan my discs to any other parents at the school because none of them have disc players anymore. I can’t loan my disc collection to my kids’ grandparents when they babysit for a night, because none of the grandparents have the players anymore. Anecdotes aren’t data, of course, but I don’t think any of what I’m seeing firsthand is atypical for families today.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think that’s sadly where the physical media market is - it’s been declining year after year for over a decade. When Warner and Universal filed the paperwork about five years ago to form their joint venture, SDS, that filing indicated that the companies believes physical media sales would continue declining until it was no longer a viable business - and they felt that combining resources then would allow them to last another ten years. We’re halfway through that period and that seems like it was dead on - it anything, the decline may be happening faster than that. I think we as enthusiasts and collectors sometimes miss what’s happening among the general public and how quickly they’ve moved past being interested in physical media.

Anecdotally, I’m a father of four year old twins. When I was that age myself, most every family that age had a VHS library of Disney films for the kids. 20 years ago, families had DVD collections instead. Now - I have a bunch of those classic Disney films on disc and I’m the only parent in my kids’ classes that does. I can’t loan my discs to any other parents at the school because none of them have disc players anymore. I can’t loan my disc collection to my kids’ grandparents when they babysit for a night, because none of the grandparents have the players anymore. Anecdotes aren’t data, of course, but I don’t think any of what I’m seeing firsthand is atypical for families today.
And that doesn't even take into account that you *might* have the titles digitally but *sharing* them with someone else is, at best, difficult and likely goes against the TOS of the hosting site.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For the longest time, Vudu allowed you to loan out titles to friends - not sure if they still do. Movies Anywhere’s precursor, Ultraviolet, allowed libraries to be shared. I think that wound up being one of those things that sounded nice in practice, but that most people didn’t care to actually use it - and again, this is anecdotal, but I was a film school kid with all film school kid friends and not one of them has ever taken me up on an offer to share a library title.

I think what we miss as enthusiasts who seek to collect specific titles individually selected by ourselves is that most general consumers are having their media needs met by subscribing to one or two subscription services and choosing what to watch out of the rotating selections of titles those services offer. It’s a solved problem for them. No more video stores, no more leaving the house, no more late fees, no more missing the beginning of a movie you channel surfed into. You press a button on a remote and you have a large variety of choices at a quality higher than VHS/DVD and for most people that’s more than enough to satisfy.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
IIRC, Movies Anywhere once allowed you to share a movie and the person didn't even need an account to watch that shared movie. That was discontinued at least a couple of years back. I never did it simply because I'd forget it was a possibility.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IIRC, Movies Anywhere once allowed you to share a movie and the person didn't even need an account to watch that shared movie. That was discontinued at least a couple of years back. I never did it simply because I'd forget it was a possibility.

IIRC, the other person w/ whom you share a title probably did need to sign up for an account.

I actually tried sharing a few times from my MA library, but AFAIK, none of my friends ended up actually using those (fairly limiting) shares. I've also even tried just sharing my login w/ a few close friends, but don't think any of them actually used the account.

_Man_

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I tried for twenty minutes to join the Disney Movie Club this morning, and it bricks after the password screen. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm not amused!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I tried for twenty minutes to join the Disney Movie Club this morning, and it bricks after the password screen. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm not amused!

I would be wondering why Disney would be onboarding any new members at this point after announcing their closing.

If I were Disney, I would be afraid of allowing members to join without guarantee they would fulfill their obligation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would not expect to be able to join now. I'd think they've turned off any new sign-ups if they're winding down operations.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I would be wondering why Disney would be onboarding any new members at this point after announcing their closing.

If I were Disney, I would be afraid of allowing members to join without guarantee they would fulfill their obligation.
Maybe. I was a member through 2019, but when I cancelled I guess my info was scrapped.
I e-mailed them (no onboard support on the site). If I can't join again, I guess I will just buy the 8 titles I want off E-Bay.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
More insight and it doesn't seem like good news

What's not good news?

You mean worse than holding our breath for New/Recent Masters of titles (currently on Digital/Streaming) to show up on 4K UHD/Remastered BDs?

Hm.

WBD Home Entertainment/MGM Studios, Inc?
Disney/Sony Pictures?

No?

I'm telling you, Disney (including 20th Century Studios) and MGM (UA, Post-April 1986 libraries) are the ones I have a hard time dealing with.

With these questions out of the way: What do you think would be the outcome of Sony taking over Physical Media Production for Disney?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With these questions out of the way: What do you think would be the outcome of Sony taking over Physical Media Production for Disney?

Well, the bad news is that DMC was shut down.

Whatever else comes out of this deal is pure speculation which is what everyone is currently doing.

My personal opinion is that this deal won't change a thing as far as seeing any Fox/Disney catalog product coming out of the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks