What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (2 Viewers)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Edward Schatz said:
117 minutes would seem too short for a Final Cut
Especially since the film is already 117 minutes long! Since the new disc runs 1:57:30, that means Ridley added less than 30 seconds to the new cut! That seems really odd, since he has insisted for the longest time that his ideal cut was far different from the other versions and the bonus discs boast "over 90 minutes" of deleted/extended scenes.
Still, the set sounds AWESOME. Sign me up for the five-disc set!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That, of course is relying on the potentially erroneous assmption that the Final Cut does not substitute alternate takes or substantially alter the cut. Brian Helgeland's DC of Payback is 10 minutes shorter; the Uncut version of Saw runs shorter than the theatrical cut.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Stephen_J_H said:
That, of course is relying on the potentially erroneous assmption that the Final Cut does not substitute alternate takes or substantially alter the cut.
The previous "director's cut" is the shortest of any cuts of Blade Runner. There is no reason to expect that the final cut will be significantly longer than any other cut -- consider that it is likely to have no narration, and the sequences in the '92 "director's cut" where the narration was previously are far too long and still cut to the beat of the removed narration.
Let's say we shave down those scenes and remove the happy ending from the theatrical cut -- we now have three or five minutes that we can add back in to get to the same running time.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
You know how “we” loath the happy ending of the Blade Runner? I was thinking about this and it’s not really that outrageous or bad as an idea. I’ve never seen it in the actual movie but it could work like THX. It just shows the contrast between the dark world inside and the bright outside world. The world where you are supposed to live in, in contrast to the real world that exists outside. It's a classic SF theme. I can’t wait to see the original cut of the movie for the first time!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The list of configurations and box sets looks great. No doubt Warner has another winner on their hands. Do you think the other studios are constantly embarrassed by their offerings compared to Warner's? I mean, if Warner's getting A+'s in DVD releases, Fox is maybe getting Bs, Paramount's getting Ds, and Universal is flunking out!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I, too, wish you could get the 5th disc without having to buy the briefcase, but other than that...........

YAY!!!!!!!!

Seriously, on the whole, this is FANTASTIC. Can't wait.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Edward Schatz said:
117 minutes would seem too short for a Final Cut
I'm not much of a Blade Runner buff, but I also remember Scott saying that he shortened a number of FX shots and quickened the pace slightly for his Alien: Director's Cut. Not sure if that's what he's done here, but it would help to explain why we're not seeing a lot of time added overall.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Randy Torres said:
Amazon has the 5 disc Collectors Edition on presale for $54.99
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...5541512&sr=8-3
Does Amazon honor that price if you order now but they raise the price later?
Update: It looks like they usually honor the lowest price that is present between when you order and when it actually becomes available. I've ordered it. I suppose DeepDiscount may get it for less or the same, but, I've ordered.
And it's already Amazon.com Sales Rank: #31 in DVD

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Amazing looking set for one of my all-time favorite films. I very eagerly pre-ordered it at Amazon. A three-and-a-half hour long documentary? 45 minutes of deleted scenes? This has surpassed my expectations, which were already very high. I have to admit that although I don't know what I'm going to do with the bulky briefcase packaging, I've always wanted a toy Spinner, so...

As for the quality of the workprint, it's been years since I've seen it, but my recollection matches those who have posted before. Finished special effects, temp music track with some queues recognizable from other films, an alternate opening credits sequence, different shots (like those kabuki-looking semi-nude dancers shown in the Final Cut trailer and in the Future Noir book), etc. I haven't been this excited about a DVD...well, ever.

StevenA

Second Unit
mike kaminski said:
35mmscreener); the digital bits says its "remastered" so maybe they have gone back to the source and gotten a cleaner version--i actually hope they haven't tidied up all the splices and technical flaws, that's sort of part of the appeal of watching a work-in-progress version.
I saw the so-called "workprint" in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome in LA several years back, and don't recall any "raw splices." My immediate reaction was that this was certainly not a workprint in the traditional sense (a one-light print used for cutting and splicing and for projection during the editing process.)
But it was the strangest version of Blade Runner I'd ever seen. I hope the temp music remains on the DVD.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Re: the running time, I wouldn't be surprised if Scott tightened up some of the shots that lingered on Decker in the 1982 cuts in order to accommodate the voice-over. Some of those scenes seemed a bit too fat when the voice-over was removed in 1992, it wouldn't surprise me if they were tinkered with a bit in order to make them work better sans voice-over.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks