The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.)

RickER

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I could swear i read just not at The Bits you CAN get a digi-pack of the 5 disc content without the toys. It will be mine, price is not a worry. This IS Blade Runner. Id go without food for this movie.

MarcoBiscotti

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
I could swear i read just not at The Bits you CAN get a digi-pack of the 5 disc content without the toys. It will be mine, price is not a worry. This IS Blade Runner. Id go without food for this movie.
That would be nice and is the route I'd go... although the 4-disc packaging with the orig. poster art is twenty times classier than any of the other versions they're putting out. Especially the digipak that comes with the L.E. release.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
RickER said:
I could swear i read just not at The Bits you CAN get a digi-pack of the 5 disc content without the toys.
That looks to be only for the HD versions. While it's disappointing there's no such configuration for DVD, with the ultimate "toy" editions probably being very limited it's at least a comfort that one will still be able to easily obtain the fifth disc with the workprint in the future, albeit only in HD.
I think I'm going to buy the 4-disc DVD now, and then double-dip with one of the HD editions sometime in the future.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Edward Schatz said:
Scott added 40 minutes to the film? Wow.
Yeah...that has to be a mis-print or something. Even the longest workprint version is just over two hours, and I thought that the only major scene actually taken out of the film was the Holden hospital scene. Forty minutes seems ridiculously long. I thought maybe that was the disk runtime but disk one is just the film, nothing extra. It's gotta be closer to 127 or something, not 157.

Will_B

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
There are all sorts of different configurations at the bottom of the press release.
I think for me, it may make the most sense to buy the 4-disc Collectors Edition on standard DVD and the 5-disc Complete Collector's Edition on BluRay. The result will be no trinkets, but the best future-proofing in terms of having all the films in high-def, at the best price.
My fear is that by the time high-def formats become popular, this could be out of print and we'll never see the workprint again.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"For those who have seen the workprint version, is it a completed version of the film, just a different edit, or is there stuff like missing special effects or dialogue and such? I guess what I want to know is, how much of a legitimate way to watch the film, or how much of a work in progress, is it?"

Kris, my memory of the Workprint is that it was still a work in progress, but I don't recall any missing scenes or shots (like FX). It was a complete film, but not finalized with color timing, sound mix, etc. It had a variety of temp music cues (I seem to recall hearing some David Byrne in there, maybe from "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts"). There were a variety of shots that don't appear in the Theatrical version, plus a different main title and a dictionary definition of replicant.

As for how "legitimate" a way it is to watch the movie, I'd have to say that depends on how fanatical you are about BR. I wouldn't recommend it for the casual viewer, but for a real fan, it's worthwhile.

Ray H

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The specs are all rather overwhelming. I think I'll probably have to go for the 5-disc ultimate set even though I wish all 5 discs were being released on SD without all the trinkets. I'm just hoping it isn't so limited that I'll have trouble obtaining a copy.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Ray H said:
The specs are all rather overwhelming. I think I'll probably have to go for the 5-disc ultimate set even though I wish all 5 discs were being released on SD without all the trinkets. I'm just hoping it isn't so limited that I'll have trouble obtaining a copy.
Not that it's cheap, but I am going to preorder a SD 5-disc and a Blu-Ray 5 discer to protect myself. This screams on of those situations where you could say, "Oh, I'll just get it later" and then....oops!

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
This has to be one of the most wanted discs ever made that has been worth the wait. I never thought Blade Runner could possibly get such a big release! Charlie, you have created something very extraordinary.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
I see all three original cuts are on the same disk--thank god. I'm assuming branching is being used; the differences between them is literally a handful of shots so this is the best move.

As for the workprint, it literally is a workprint, a work-in-porgress--the splices are raw, so there is a jump whenever there is a cut, the audio was a bit "hot" in some shots, there is temp music, the editing is less refined and it includes lots of little extra bits and typical lingering long shots that early cuts are guilty of, and it includes only one voice-over, which i believe is a unique recording in that it was the original VO Ford did which was then re-recorded for the theatrical cut. The version originally screened in 1990/1991 I believe was from a 70mm blow-up (ie 35mm o-neg> 70mmworkprint> 35mmscreener); the digital bits says its "remastered" so maybe they have gone back to the source and gotten a cleaner version--i actually hope they haven't tidied up all the splices and technical flaws, that's sort of part of the appeal of watching a work-in-progress version.

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I think they said NYC and LA would have theatrical screenings of the new cut. But with HD, you could project it huge-ass yourself... as I plan to do...

rich_d

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
The interesting thing to me is the release date - December 18th (if it is accurate) as well as the lack of attention to this from other posters.

There is NO WAY in the world that they wanted that late a date for a big video release like this. DVD sets are big gift items and by that time, many people already have spent their money and have already been stung at seeing November's credit card statement.

So something slipped causing a domino effect on firm production dates, distribution/supply chain fulfillment etc.

Paul McElligott

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Chuck Stephens said:
Is the documentary On the Edge of Blade Runner not going to be included in any of these versions?
Doesn't look that way, does it?
I figure the discounted price on the 5-discer will be about $55 (MSRP - 30%). I can hack that, but I actually like the cover art on the four-disc set better. Decisions, decisions.
So who's going to be in L.A. on opening night of the theatrical run?

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkoenig4