What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (4 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well maybe the clean versions are included on discs two and three...
And its not like Vangelis was setting any precedent here, even some of the bootlegs have dialogue and sfx mixed in.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Oh shit. The third disc (new music) has "intriguing spoken word contributions" mixed into all but ONE track. So basically only disc 2 is worth getting.... here's hoping it shows up on iTunes.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Why can't we just get the Blade Runner music without all these voices stuck in there? In some songs like "Tears in Rain" it fits better than most, but we should have an option to listen to the music with and without voices and sound effects, etc.

Vangelis makes a new Blade Runner theme album, *great news*, right? So what does he do, he sticks voices in every single song, except one. Why?? We want to hear Blade Runner music, not someone's voice interrupting the sounds. The second CD with the previously unreleased Blade Runner music from the film had better be absolutely without voices!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I liked Vangelis' decision to include bits of dialogue. It compliments the music well, adds to the mood and the memories. I especially enjoy the introductions between Deckard and Rachel. What I don't like is "One More Kiss Dear" plopped in the middle of the album, but I always delete that track anyway.
I am skeptical that voices totally unrelated to the film will work well on disc 3, but I'll give it a chance.
The track list on the press release has a typo -- Leo's Room.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Vangelis will not deviate from his original concept. All 3 CDs, even the second one, will include voices or spoken word. The reason for this is that Vangelis wants to maintain continuity and thus ensuring a cohesive listening experience.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
AlexCremers said:
Vangelis will not deviate from his original concept. All 3 CDs, even the second one, will include voices or spoken word. The reason for this is that Vangelis wants to maintain continuity and thus ensuring a cohesive listening experience.
Thanks, Vangelis. You just saved me some money. If I want to hear dialogue, I'll watch the fucking movie.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
"If I want to hear a sound track, I'll watch the f*cking movie."

It's all a matter of personal taste. Not of logic.

Cees

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Craig Beam said:
Thanks, Vangelis. You just saved me some money. If I want to hear dialogue, I'll watch the fucking movie.
Well said.
Clues for the clueless. 99 percent of soundtracks don't don't have film dialog through them for a reason.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Pretty ironic considering that movie discs (on all media) sometimes offer a "Music Only track" because, naturally, fans of the score appreciate being able to hear the score in its pure musical form devoid of sound effects and movie dialogue. Yet the Bladerunner soundtrack on CD tries to replicate the effect of listening to the movie with dialogue in-tact...
:rolleyes

ErichH

Screenwriter
AlexCremers said:
Must be a Greek thing..Oh Well ;(

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I can understand the reason some of you object to the dialogue on the soundtrack, isn't it a bit hypocritical to demand the intent of a filmmaker, yet chastise a musical artist for their decisions? You may disagree with the approach, but it is his soundtrack after all, and if that's how he wants it presented, well...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
rich_d said:
don't have film dialog through them for a reason.
And that reason is personal choice on the part of the composer.
Another of my favorite soundtracks that includes excerpts of dialogue is U2's The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. Though in that case, it is only on a couple key songs.
The Fifth Element soundtrack has one song with clips from the film, though for contractual reasons Bruce Willis' voice couldn't be used, so Jean Reno did his best Bruce Willis impression to grunt a few words.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While I can understand the reason some of you object to the dialogue on the soundtrack, isn't it a bit hypocritical to demand the intent of a filmmaker, yet chastise a musical artist for their decisions? You may disagree with the approach, but it is his soundtrack after all, and if that's how he wants it presented, well...
Not when those artistic decisions (ie, changes) are *bad* decisions. I call it the Jar-Jar principle. There are times and places when fans have a right to request something in its purist form. The artist can disagree and do as he/she desires. It doesn't make the "Jar Jar" any better. Why not just release it both ways? The music wasn't composed with dialogue, and the remixed dialogue doesn't even coorespond with the placement in the film except for Tears in Rain (where it makes sense, and compliments, rather than distracts the music).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The UK DVD magazine DVDReview came out last week with a review of the DVD plus lots of interviews from some of the actors involved.
I'll come back with some updates

AlexCremers

Second Unit
DVD Review Magazine about The Final Cut 5-disc set: This is perhaps the best DVD package yet released, it's that good.

Picture: *****

Sound: *****

Film: *****

Extras: *****

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks