What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Great news about the Vangelis soundtrack. Thanks for the info. It will be a long Christmas list for me this year indeed.
I saw the Final Cut in Chicago last weekend and while the sound was not as great, in that presentation, as others have reported elsewhere (it was a little wobbly and distorted), the film itself is near to perfection. I posted an analysis at my film blog (below):
http://killthesnark.blogspot.com/200...final-cut.html
Even my wife, who hated the film when I showed it to her years ago, now admits it's pretty darn good. But a lot of that comes with seeing it more than once.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Aaron Reynolds said:
Is the Toronto showing confirmed to be in 35mm only? The Regent is equipped for digital and I thought that I saw an ad that trumpeted digital presentation.
Yes, Blade Runner is being shown in 35mm. I was looking forward to a digital screening but was blown away by what I did see the other night. The projection was flawless and the sound was more than incredible.The Regent is used for film post production in the daytime and has the latest and best equipment available. And it shows. Go, enjoy and tell your friends. It was a night to remember - what a movie!!!
Even director Norman Jewison has used this venue for post production.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Just saw The Final Cut at the AMC 25 in New York while I was in town for a wedding, and I'm so glad I did! The digital presentation was jaw-droppingly amazing, and the new version is a smashing improvement over the director's cut. The only complaints I've ever had with the the 1992 version was with the pacing and all the red herrings. The new cut corrects all the confusing plot details and smooths out the pacing, resulting in a more coherant and much more potent film. My jaw was on the floor from beginning to end.
This is a cut that really should be allowed to eclipse the other versions completely. The other versions have nothing on this, especially considering the restoration work, which is stunning.
Can't wait for the DVD!

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Sounds great about the Vangelis box set.

Can't get to Toronto, hopefully the Final Cut will make its way to Rochester, either via an Eastman House screening or one of the local multiplexes (maybe mine...)

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a complete breakdown of the tracks on the new CD release. It's great that there's some unreleased film music on there after all, and I will of course buy it as soon as it's released, but still I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that the first disc is just the previous soundtrack.
I would like an official release without the voices and sound effects, and seeing as there's a pretty good chance that people who want to buy this new edition already have the old album, the least they could have done was to present the CD with just the music.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. You mean we *finally* get a new CD soundtrack release and it *still* has that horrible inter-mixed dialogue? The ONLY track that it seems apporpritate in is the "tears in rain"... everything else it really gets in the way... and most often gets stuck in music that isn't even consistent with the timing in the film.
I NEVER listen to my Blade Runner soundtrack bcs of the distracting dialgue which ruins the magic for me. Last night I pulled it out for a road trip to psyche myself up for this new high-def release. After about 10 minutes I couldn't stand it and had to pull it out again... I had forgotten just how distracting and jarring that dialogue overlay was. Bummer with this news, because I thought "maybe with the film's new video release we'll get a new CD soundtrack without the dialogue mixed into the music".
Oh well.
:frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That looks like a great CD set! I'm a huge Vangelis fan, have all the CDs, so this is really exciting. Amazon doesn't have it yet, though...

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
DaViD, tell me about it. I just wanted all of the music composed for Blade Runner, in optimal quality, with no voice-overs or SFX, to finally put all the bootlegs to rest. I don't know why it's such a difficult thing to do. And the saddest thing is that this was the one chance to make it right, the next will probably be in another 25 years and by then all of the people that could make it happen will probably be dead.

At least it looks like the price went down £2 at Play (was £14.99 earlier today).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Blade Runner isn't exactly the kind of ablum that gets remastered/re-released annually...

Isn't anyone else annoyed by this? Do any of you already have the current CD to know what we're talking about when we say "dialogue and effects"? They literally pasted movie dialogue and effects *over* the music... and it doesn't even match up with the way it's presented in the movie! In some cases dialogue from one scene is pasted over music from another. Really, really distracting and it (for me) completely ruins the artisic integrity of the music.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
oscar_merkx said:
That's a great price indeed.
It isn't bad but I don't like the idea of paying for disc 1 again as I had the previous release for years. I might ask for it for Christmas instead.
Even though the last release isn't perfect. It is still one of my favourite soundtracks as well as from Vangelis.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
DaViD Boulet said:
Isn't anyone else annoyed by this? Do any of you already have the current CD to know what we're talking about when we say "dialogue and effects"? They literally pasted movie dialogue and effects *over* the music... and it doesn't even match up with the way it's presented in the movie! In some cases dialogue from one scene is pasted over music from another. Really, really distracting and it (for me) completely ruins the artisic integrity of the music.
Totally agree.
I'm disappointed that release is seeing the light of day again.
I wonder if it is just some marketing boob's decision or there is more to it. For example, might there be some contractual/legal reasons to include it?
I think we would all love the music presented in its best and highest quality form. Short of getting that there are some pretty decent bootlegs around where the voice-overs are not present.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Vangelis himself inserted all the voices and special effects. I'm sure it's an artistic decision.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that's very possible. But we've already had this CD for well over a decade now, so why do we need the exact same thing again? Especially when there was such a great opportunity to finally give many fans what they've been waiting 25 years for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks