What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (2 Viewers)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
JediFonger, to answer your question, no.
The original theatrical and international cuts have the tacked on "happy ending." The workprint (I believe -- someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the director's cut have the same ending as this final cut.

Pasquale_R

Auditioning
Ordered my French/Italian version (available in France from 12/5)!

I can't wait!

And thanks to all HTF members for this excellent thread.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I finally had a chance to watch the new cut of blade runner in digital. It was only a 2 hour drive.. I must say that I was very impressed with it. it was like watching the movie a new again.. the PQ and sound was just amazing. the movie looked like it was made yesterday and not 25 years ago.. I thought it also had a better pace to it this time. its also such a visual movie.. that I noticed more of the little stuff that I had not notice before or even on the dvd.
a very big thank you to Charlie and Paul.. they really have out done themselves with another restored classic.
Jacob

Jim C

Second Unit
I took delivery of the 5 disc collector's edition yesterday, and all I can say is OMG!

Blade Runner has always been one of my favourite films of all time, and finally we have the special edition to end all special editions.

It is easy to see that this has been a labour of love for Charlie and his team, and after viewing these discs I have to to say that Charlie is whitout doubt the industry's finest DVD producer. I beleive I own every DVD he has produced, and this amazing set will now sit proudly alongside those other titles.

I said it back in 2003 when I took delivery of the Alien Quadrilogy set, and I say it again now, thank you Charlie - you have made this Blade Runner fan a very happy man.

JC

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming said:
Am I missing something? Amazon still has the release date as December 18.
Jim C's location is England and I'm guessing they got the DVD before we Americans do. Lucky bastard! :D

Jim C

Second Unit
ZacharyTait said:
Jim C's location is England and I'm guessing they got the DVD before we Americans do. Lucky bastard! :D
I got the 5-disc tin on Friday - the official UK release date is today.
It's a stunning set in every respect. Wait until you see Dangerous Days. It starts out with a ton of deleted footage (all presented in the same quality as the movie I might add) and then continues to show more deleted footage throughout it's duration. It is also the most complete and comprehensive doc I have had the pleasure to watch (although there is no Vangelis interview).
Disc 4 contains all the featurettes and deleted scenes. All this material has been created to match the same style of the Dangerous Days doc. Wait until you see the deleted scenes.......great stuff, and the new SFX shot that opens the deleted scenes is a real treat.
The quality of the workprint is not the best (this is explained in the introduction by Ridley himself), but they have restored it the best they can.
On a related note, I got the HD-DVD version on Saturday, and all I can say is STUNNING. It is PERFECT - I never knew BR could look this good. I am still in awe........
The HD-DVD version is only a 2-disc set here in the UK, in fact disc 2 is just a regular DVD, and only contains Dangerous Days. So I am still looking forward to getting the 5-disc Blu-Ray from the US on Dec 18th :)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
My 5 disk tin arrived on Saturday from play.
I must echo all of Jim's sentiments regarding the SD 5 disk set, it's truly stunning, possibly the most comprehensive set for a single film that I have ever had the priviladge of owning.
One thing I truly love with the docus that Charles de Lauzirika has produced on this, and on his past awe inspiring sets has been the use of deleted footage and alternate angles peppered throughout. It's such a nice touch and such a fantastic gift to fanatical fans like myself - who are obsessed with seeing every single frame shot for a film :)
And of course that's all on top of the beautifully edited together 40+ minutes of deleted scenes.
My one and only gripe - and this is no doubt down to WB - my 5 disk set is missing the artwork portfolio cards that are advertised on the back of the set. I have the hologram paperweight, message from Mr Scott and booklet, but no art prints :frowning:
Anyone else missing these?

Jim C

Second Unit
Dave Simkiss said:
My 5 disk tin arrived on Saturday from play.
I must echo all of Jim's sentiments regarding the SD 5 disk set, it's truly stunning, possibly the most comprehensive set for a single film that I have ever had the priviladge of owning.
One thing I truly love with the docus that Charles de Lauzirika has produced on this, and on his past awe inspiring sets has been the use of deleted footage and alternate angles peppered throughout. It's such a nice touch and such a fantastic gift to fanatical fans like myself - who are obsessed with seeing every single frame shot for a film :)
And of course that's all on top of the beautifully edited together 40+ minutes of deleted scenes.
My one and only gripe - and this is no doubt down to WB - my 5 disk set is missing the artwork portfolio cards that are advertised on the back of the set. I have the hologram paperweight, message from Mr Scott and booklet, but no art prints :frowning:
Anyone else missing these?
Hi Dave - good to hear you have the set and enjoyed it as much as I did. I hope you spent all weekend geeking out like me! I did wonder if you had received it and what you thought of all that wonderful deleted/alternate footage. CDL has done us proud yet again!
Have you entered the realms of HD yet mate? You must see The Final Cut in HD....it is a marvel to behold. I'm watching it again right now.........seeing the iconic opening cityscape shots in HD is something else. It's like seeing the film for the first time all over again. Stunning, simply stunning.
Ps, the cards were not missing from my set.
Pps - how's your Alien website coming on?
Take care buddy,
James

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
My 5 disc SD DVD set from Amazon.co.uk was dispatched today (the official release date) :). Unfortunately, it is now a Christmas present so I have to wait. :frowning:
I am also tempted getting a HD version even though I don't have a HD player yet when the US HD sets are the same price as the UK SD DVD set.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Jim C said:
Hi Dave - good to hear you have the set and enjoyed it as much as I did. I hope you spent all weekend geeking out like me! I did wonder if you had received it and what you thought of all that wonderful deleted/alternate footage. CDL has done us proud yet again!
Have you entered the realms of HD yet mate? You must see The Final Cut in HD....it is a marvel to behold. I'm watching it again right now.........seeing the iconic opening cityscape shots in HD is something else. It's like seeing the film for the first time all over again. Stunning, simply stunning.
Ps, the cards were not missing from my set.
Pps - how's your Alien website coming on?
Take care buddy,
James
Jim :)
I anticipated the sets arrival on Saturday as was hovering around the letterbox from about 8am. My postman is now aware of my geekiness and gave me a cheeky grin when he saw the childlike excitment on my face as I jumped through the door before he could even get the parcel out of the mail sack lol!
Bit miffed about the missing art prints, but as Im going to eventually pass this set on to my bro when I do finally upgrade to HD (Just waiting on the 80gig PS3 next year) Im not overly fussed and cannot be bothered with the annoyance of sending this back to play only to no doubt get a dented tin back (sans art prints again knowing my luck)
I've watched the Final cut in SD and was blown away by the clarity, and was especially impressed with the new (or should that be 'restored') colour timing. So many scenes in blue now pop out of the screen. Deckard at the sushi stand springs to mind.
I have a good few colour lobby stills from back in the day and now finally the image I see on screen precisely matches the colours in the lobby prints.
FC, Dangerous Days docu and deleted scenes goodness aside I think the most enjoyable part of the set I have enjoyed so far has been Paul Sammon commentary on the Workprint. Just reading through some posts on the Bladezone round table boards and Charlie mentions he actually recorded Paul's commentary twice as he had so much to say, plus his interview was a mammoth 7hrs long!
That had me wishing he'd been allowed to do commentaries on all the 'archival' cuts on the 3rd disk. But I cannot decide if that would have just been geek overload :D
Alien site is going well, should only take another 4 years at this rate ;D
And while Im at it, can I say a huge, enourmous Thank you to Charles de Lauzirika Between this and the Alien 3 SE you have made all of my geekiest dreams come true.
Now if we could just have the original version of 'Wreckage and Rape - The making of Alien 3' I can die a happy man :D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"Just reading through some posts on the Bladezone round table boards and Charlie mentions he actually recorded Paul's commentary twice as he had so much to say, plus his interview was a mammoth 7hrs long!"
That's brilliant! I'd hoped something like that would be done.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
I've heard something rather disturbing today. Supposedly one of the key persons does not appear in the Special Features section, namely, Vangelis. Strange, I remember they said everyone was on board and that a gazillion interviews were taken. How can they forget about the man who gave Blade Runner its soul? And how come no one is noticing his absence? I know, in the end, the movie is all that matters but come on!

Alex

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
AlexCremers said:
I've heard something rather disturbing today. Supposedly one of the key persons does not appear in the Special Features section, namely, Vangelis. Strange, I remember they said everyone was on board and that a gazillion interviews were taken. How can they forget about the man who gave Blade Runner its soul? And how come no one is noticing his absence? I know, in the end, the movie is all that matters but come on!
Alex
I'm sure Charles didn't forget Vangelis, but I bet Vangelis forgot Charles.
Dave, glad you're happy. I'm saving my copy for Xmas day, Supes 1 and 2, then Bladerunner. :D

Jim C

Second Unit
Dave Simkiss said:
Jim :)
Now if we could just have the original version of 'Wreckage and Rape - The making of Alien 3' I can die a happy man :D
Agreed :) I still dream of the day that Charlie's uncut Alien 3 doc finally gets released - that and the other Alien 3 deleted footage that was not included on the Quad set. I can only hope that it gets included in a future Blu-Ray release, but considering Fox's track record on Blu-Ray extras, I'm not holding out. I think the most I can hope for is the extended cut of Alien 3 in High Def.
Back to BR, I agree with you Dave, the new colour timing and grading is perfect. The Final Cut really does justice to Jordan Cronenweth's sublime cinematography. I remember a conversation we had years ago on discussing the look of Blade Runner, and you said (something along the lines of) you can take any frame of footage from that movie, blow it up, have it framed, put it on your wall, and it will be a work of art. I agreed with you back then, and I agree even more so now. In one of the interviews on the new disc, someone comments on how watching the film for the first time made them want to live in the world Ridley had created. I always get this same feeling when watching Blade Runner - it's one of a very few films that truly manages to transport me into another time and place.
And to think that I hated Blade Runner on my first viewing all those years ago....I was so naive back then.........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks