What's new

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Classicflix.com has a post for a 9/9 release of THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: COLLECTORS EDITION. There are no specific details, but from the retail price ($26.99), I would suspect that it's a 2 discer. Hopefully, it would include some of the footage of Laughton directing the film (7 hours+?) that was unearthed a few years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hopefully, it will be in its original aspect ratio. This great film deserves no less. This is one film that would look great in HD, too bad a BRD is not coming too.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
If they're smart, they'd interview Peter Graves and other surviving cast/crew members. I bet threr's a lot of great stories about the film, and personalities like Laughton, Mitchum, Winters, and Miss Lillian Gish.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nice! I've watched the previous release a few times now, and well gladly upgrade! This is a movie that keeps getting better each time you watch it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Absolutely. This should definitely be matted to a widescreen ratio.

I may be opening a can of worms asking this, but... anybody know what the intended aspect ratio was?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I reckon that the intended ratio was 1.66:1.

Kiss Me Deadly
is now OOP, so I'd love to see a SE with a new 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer - or a Blu-Ray edition.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
The IMBD has it listed as a 1.66 ratio, but it was probably shot with an open matte.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw a screening of the UCLA restoration a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty sure they showed it at 1.85:1 (it definitely wasn't 1.37:1).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which makes sense because I think AFI was the one that received the film elements and Laughton footage from his widow, Elsa Lanchester. AFI then gave the elements to UCLA and they restored it.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, but I was multi-tasking and mixed up my family name with the late Ms. Lanchester. Anyhow, at least you got a chance to correct me.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled about this and can't wait for details to be posted!

There's a film screening tonight in Montreal, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be sourced from a newly struck restored print.

I hope details and artwork follow shortly!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks